Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fish oil

Re: Fish oil

I couldn't spot the ratios, I thought they were on the back of the box but I can see in the image that they haven't declared it, sorry mate. Do they have it on the manufacturing website? Perhaps a fact sheet?

Yeah, many of them are 10ml.

The are 4 types of Omega 3, so if you see one that says 3000mg Omega 3 and the EPA+DHA added to say 1500, the rest is made up of 1 or both of the remaining types. Its the same with the fish oil content which is usually stated higher than the Omega 3 value.

I've had a good look at capsules and they are far too low. I didn't look at the sports sites though admittidly, just have to be careful what else may be in with those.

By cancelling out, do you mean that the DHA will be absorbed instead of the EPA, so DHA has too be much lower than the absortion rate? So, its a bit like how receptor sites work in the brain? I didn't know that.

Well, even if fish oil isn't helping with mental health, it will be with physical health so its no loss.

Found out a few more bits of info on Fish oil.

DHA is good for eyes and its what cell membranes in the brain are made of.
    There is a lot of it in the brain.

EPA is good for lowering inflammation all over the body and brain amongst other things. Inflammation = bad and plays a part in most negative issues in the body and brain.
    Its great for the brains processes and heart health too.
    Depression i think too, although ive not spent an age going through studies but it seems to be the case.
    Suggestions EPA more than DHA being responsible for treating depression.

Although DHA is good and there is a lot of it in the brain, so its important for brain health, DHA stores last a long time in the brain so its not needing to keep looking for large amounts from your diet on a daily basis.

Whereas EPA is used up quickly so a large amount of it in your daily diet is beneficial.

This is why you often find products with higher ratios of EPA to DHA.

Cod liver oil (from its liver) apparently has a higher ratio of DHA to EPA.
    Fish oil (from the fish) has a higher ratio of EPA to DHA.

Ideally the product is third party tested.

Nordic naturals are highly respected but looks expensive.
    Their EPA Extra looks the same levels as my MyProtein one but Nordic Naturals says its is third party tested and the MyProtein one doesnt (i think)

They do an ultimate omega liquid with 1450mg EPA per 5ml !

How about these Oosh:

http://www.discount-supplements.co.u...l#.VFRqqCKsWSo

Per 5ml teaspoon:
    Omega-3 fatty acids: 1,500mg
    Providing:
    EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid): 750mg
    DHA (docosahexaenoic acid): 500mg
    Vitamin E (d-alpha tocopherol): 14mg

http://www.discount-supplements.co.u...e#.VFRrACKsWSo

Per 10ml:
    Omega-3 Fish Oil: 4.52g
    Cod Liver Oil: 4.52g
    Providing
    - EPA: 968mg
    - DHA: 878mg
    Vitamin A (667iu): 200mcg
    Vitamin D (as D3 400iu): 10mcg
    Vitamin E: 11mcg

This one might be worth a look due to the make of up the different sources http://www.discount-supplements.co.u...-omega-30-paks but you will need to find a factsheet off the manufacturer as the breakdown isn't in there but it seems specifically balanced.

Found the breakdown for the Seven Seas one I posted earlier http://www.discount-supplements.co.u...ength-liquid-3

Per 10 m /l % RDA
    Fish Oil and Pure Cod Liver Oil: 9.2g
    Fish Oil Blend: 5.5g (60%)
    Pure Cod Liver Oil: 3.7g (40%)
    Providing Omega-3 nutrients: 2800mg
    of which EPA & DHA: 2300mg
    EPA: 1380mg
    DHA: 920mg
    Vitamin D: 5ìg / 100
    Vitamin E@ 10 mg á-TE / 83
    Calories: 82.3 kcals
    Fat: 9.2 g

I didn't really look at capsules as they tend to be very low, but as you said the sports ones could be higher and here is one I briefly looked at http://www.discount-supplements.co.u...ls-90-softgels

That Eskimo 3 looks a good find. Lots about that product on the net and good high levels. Apparently lots of scientific studies done although can't find much about that.
    Available in the UK too. Good find.

I read in lots of places on the net that cod liver oils have higher ratios of dha to epa.

Your seven seas cod liver oil has a higher ratio of epa to dha which was confusing.
    Then I realised, it's 60% fish oil !

Fish Oil and Pure Cod Liver Oil: 9.2g
    Fish Oil Blend: 5.5g (60%)
    Pure Cod Liver Oil: 3.7g (40%)

Just shows you that you really have to educate yourself and shop around to find out exactly what it is you're buying.

If I can be bothered I'll try and compare them price wise as I've read a lot that the cod liver oil form (even if they are more fish oil than cod liver oil) can be cheaper. They appear to have very high levels too. No point in ordering from half way around the world if there is a good source on your local high street, which I'm sure Seven Seas is.

I've got to say though I prefer capsules. I like to pop (pop ?) them throughout the day with meals and they're handy to take to work whereas the liquids can go off.

I think I'd also sway towards ratios much higher in EPA. But that's just the personal preference I'm coming too based on what I read.

More info -

Apparently the absorption is important too. The bioavailability.

Krill oil is the best in this respect but generally has lower levels of EPA so you need to take more to achieve the high levels.
    Some people take krill oil for the DHA.

Most capsules use glycerol to transport it into the body but Nordic Naturals (for example) use a triglyceride form which is superior (but not as well absorbed as the krill oil) Basically the better the transporter the higher levels you actually absorb into your body. Poorer absorption, it still works, you just have to take more.

I take these mate. Can't really tell how helpful they are as I also take Turmeric and Vitamin B Complex daily.

Not allowed to post links but amazon uk sells it, called - 'Higher Nature Omega Fish Oil'

Cheers

I think I'm going to look for a turmeric supplement next. I hear it's great for inflammation. At the moment I sprinkle it in my vege smoothies but guess I probably need a lot more.

Hi Oosh
    I also take turmeric tab,along with high dosage Krill oil tab.
    Petra x

Hey Oosh,

Found this website when doing some searching about the EPA vs. DHA ratio issue you were mentioning. This mentions a 2:1 ratio as well.

I did find another article on Psychology Today that was also discussing the difference between EPA & DHA and how they enter cells. It made a comment about how too high levels of DHA can cause a GLA deficit but didn't say how much this was. It recommended adding GLA back into diet, which is pretty easy (flaxseed?) from what I remember.

What do you think about this as you've done more research about all this?

EDIT: Just found the article http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...en-epa-and-dha

i take krill oil its much stronger and better absorbed than normal fish oil
    it works great for inflamation and joint pain,cant say it improved mood though
    http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr...ductsuggestion

Quote Originally Posted by MrAndy View Post
    i take krill oil its much stronger and better absorbed than normal fish oil
    it works great for inflamation and joint pain,cant say it improved mood though
    http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutr...ductsuggestion
    I was reading about Krill oil for Crohn's earlier - going to try it.
    What levels of EPA should I look for? Healthspan offer 62mg or 149mg.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information