Thread: Near Surrey/Hants border (Farnham, Guildford, Woking, Aldershot, Farnborough)

Near Surrey/Hants border (Farnham, Guildford, Woking, Aldershot, Farnborough)

My wife has asked me to track down health anxiety support groups in our area (she isn't up to doing it herself). I thought I would post here in case anyone knows of one, but also...

If anyone from these areas wants to consider a meet-up, this thread can be the place to arrange it. I have spotted a few people in old threads mention relevant towns, so I will attempt to send them a message via the forum's PM system.

I have spoken to the Wellbeing Centre (Aldershot, 01252 338810) who have support groups in Fleet, Aldershot and Yateley for those with depression and anxiety conditions. If I find out about any more groups I will post details here.

---------- Post added at 15:41 ---------- Previous post was at 15:05 ----------

I have just learned there is a similar service in Woking run by CornerHouse (01483 757461) and they seem to have a lot of different groups going on.

Re: Near Surrey/Hants border (Farnham, Guildford, Woking, Aldershot, Farnborough)

Hi, I help to run the Cornerhouse anxiety group in Addlestone which meets on the second and fourth thursday of each month. It's an evening group that's fairly informal - pm me for any further info.

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/
    http://cornerhousewoking.org.uk/

http://www.pbase.com/clickaway

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Re: Near Surrey/Hants border (Farnham, Guildford, Woking, Aldershot, Farnborough)

thank you for taking the time to contact people. I had looked for somewhere to get some help for sometime but have not got anywhere. The only help i have received has been from Tablets and paying for counselling!
    I have felt alone with this dreadful anxiety and panic and even had my mum calling me a nutter !! that helps
    I think it is fantastic that you have done this for your wife 10/10 to you xxx
    I am only near Birdworld so not a million miles away xx

Hello
    This is so strange as I just drove past the wellness centre in Aldershot but was too scared to go in! I live in farnham and was looking for support groups as I'm struggling again.
    Would like to hear any feedback on local groups as its difficult to pluck up the courage!
    I'm in wrecclesham so also not far from birdworld!

X

Hi to the Birdworld ladies. We're just the other side of the town from you.
    I am going to present the list of groups to my wife, now I've finished researching, and see if she feels able to go to one of them. I'd like her to try but she may not follow through on her original inclination.

Do either of you need a boost to help you gather the resolve to attend a group? Perhaps it would help knowing someone else was going for the first time that particular week.

Sue Bailey (01483 757461) was very helpful to speak to. You'd have to drive to Woking for her group. Otherwise try Lisa at Wellbeing (01252 338810) and ask about the Fleet group, which has spaces and is usually extended to Surrey residents too. Both groups cover both depression and anxiety.

I was told that you can sit in utter silence if you don't want to say anything!

I do not suffer from Health Anxiety, but I have supported my wife through 12 years of battling with it.

From one of the Birdworld ladies lol
    I would be interested in attending the wellness group does anyone else wish to come along with me ??
    PM me if you would like to and I will give them a call xx
    lets not suffer alone

Hi, I'm from Guildford and have been trying to find a support group for so long, I don't drive so the support group in Addlestone is a no go for me but can't seem to find anything near here and i need to find support and talk to other people who understand as finding it hard to talk to non-sufferers

Hi. Perhaps you can get a bus to Woking for the Cornerstone group there (see number above)?

My wife is feeling so much better on the tablets it seems she isn't so desperate to attend a group now. Oh well, I can't rush her.

I do not suffer from Health Anxiety, but I have supported my wife through 12 years of battling with it.

Would anyone in Farnham area be interested in a meet-up? A coffee somewhere to compare symptoms...?

Hi all forum Members

Just wanted to log-on to let you know about Branches - Mental Health Support Network.

Branches is a small but long-established local charitable / third sector organisation which provides services for local adults with experience of depression, anxiety, or any self-defined mental health need.

The service provides 1) weekly support groups 2) representation for Members when required 3) a programme of supported social activities and 4) weekly activity-led groups such as art, creative writing, living skills, etc. In addition there is a varied programme of one-off activities to help people with depression, anxiety, or any self-defined mental health need - for example Branches is just completing a series of one-day arts workshops run in partnership with the West End Centre.

The focus of the Branches service is to try and support people in their recoveries to get the most out of life; and to help Members affirm that life is not to be endured, but enjoyed!

Branches has won awards for its achievements and the quality of its service, and works with many local partner organisations.

If you would like to know more, or feel that Branches could help you, please feel free to contact the Branches Coordinator, Dean Roberts, on 07895 819 400.

Hope the above information is useful to you!

---------- Post added at 14:54 ---------- Previous post was at 14:48 ----------

I probably should have added that Branches covers the North-East Hampshire, Surrey Heath and Farnham & Waverley areas.

However nobody is excluded on the grounds of location, and Members have attended from Reading, Basingstoke, Woking, Guildford, Crowthorne, Sandhurst and even someone from Wiltshire!

If you want to make contact but do not feel comfortable phoning, feel free to text the Branches Coordinator on 07895 819 400 and either ask for them to phone you or ask them to text you the e-mail address.

Thread Information