Thread: Starting CBT... Making anxiety worse!!??

Starting CBT... Making anxiety worse!!??

Received my letter yesterday to invite me to start cbt next Friday and now anxiety through the roof again. I don't think it's the actual session, it's the length of it, where it is..
    What if I feel panicky while I'm in there?
    What if I want to leave?
    Where will I park my car as I don't go anywhere on my own at the mo so will have to walk from my car to the place?
    I don't like being out if my home but I've got to go somewhere new for nearly two hours?!
    Can I take someone with me?
    Thoughts are racing so anxiety worse, I have a phonecall with health in mind worker two days beforehand so am going to bring all this up but worried about that as was asked to go into a shop three times but can't bring myself to do that either. Great... I'm a failure too!!!
    Just want to feel normal again and hoping cbt will help with this but don't know if I can do it???

Re: Starting CBT... Making anxiety worse!!??

The best thing to do is talk to the therapist beforehand. They really want to do it one a one-to-one basis but I remember mine mentioning couples or family sessions if required at later stages, which I didn't need. Maybe they would see having someone with you as a way to get to you started and quickly make as goal towards coming on your own.

You've got a load of "What if's" in your post and references to "I'm a failure". Try to look at things you struggled to do as learning experiences, bumps along the road to getting better, etc. You might not be ready right now, so can you find some way to lead up to them e.g. can you just go out for X time, go to the shop and not go in but remain there, then move onto going in the shops and extending your duration in them? It's all micro goals with anxiety, big stuff will make you more anxious and set you up for failure, but do little things and extend, add together, alter, etc instead so that you get some progression.

Tell them how you feel in the session because they deal with people with anxiety & depression all day long, it's nothing new to them that we may feel very anxious or under scrutiny. They won't judge you, they will help you and if you need a break I'm sure they will help you with that too. My therapist said it was always ok to set goals where we met away from the centre as well e.g. go for a coffee if thats what we needed to do, which may help you.

Ragdoll, lets get 1 thing straight..... You are NOT a failure..... Please don't use negative labels about yourself. Be kind to yourself & be proud of yourself for taking this huge step. Many people don't get this far so well done you.
    It takes courage to face your fears and problems ..... U are courageous.
    I think your fears are natural. Totally natural especially given your issues. It's a good idea to ask questions because the answers you get will put your mind at rest. I don't ask enough questions sometimes so lack the answers I need. You go ahead and ask questions.
    The thing with CBT is .... You do need (with guidance & support) to challenge your issues. It does highlight your fears & increase your anxieties at times but..... and it's an important but.... by doing this and observing your reactions ... You learn to Cope with "the impossible".
    Gradually the intensity of your fears and anxieties lessen..... In time to the point you can resume "normal life". CBT will present u with lots of answers and explanations. For me it was (& still is) a real eye opened. Over a decade down the line I still use the skills I learned in CBT. I always will. So I am always encouraging people to give it a go since my experience of it was very positive indeed and continues to be so.
    Also, if you were to present at a session with your symptoms at their worst, that is actually ideal timing, if your therapist can see your worst, that will help them deal with your issues. There in session you'd have direct assistance & be able to identify the cause & work on it.
    Let us know how you go won't you because I have a vested interest in CBT & always like to hear how people go.

I can promise you now, CBT will help you with your anxiety a ridiculous amount. It is so so so unbelievably helpful so at all costs do go! I know you're probably worrying about every aspect of it but you will be fine, promise and then once you've been you will be making a firm step forwards in the direction of your recovery Good Luck, let us know how it goes.

Thread Information