Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Diazepam and zoplicone withdrawal

Re: Diazepam and zoplicone withdrawal

Oh, see, I'd definitely try replacing the late afternoon dose with Benadryl. You're home then for the night, I assume?

Do you know how does taking Benadryl work? I looked it up and it is a cough mixture antihistame. (sorry spelling is crap).

This is so hard because I seem to be have panic attacks more often which freak me out and I just feel out it sometimes with a nice big knot in gut.

How do I know if it is diazepam withdrawal or just anxiety relapse?

I was actually speaking of the Benadryl tablets/capsules, (diphenhydramine). Antihistamines generally have drowsiness as a side effect. Think of this one as calming but not quite sleep-inducing! So a good choice for once you are in the house for the rest of the day, and don't need to be doing anything that requires alertness (like driving). I am now reading where it is recommended to only take it every other day so as to not build tolerance for it. Not everyone gets drowsy from it, the odd person gets the jitters.

Doxylamine is another antihistamine with a different formula that could possibly be used if having problems when you withdraw from your evening dose. This is the active ingredient in Unisom, Nytol, and Medi-sleep which are marketed as a sleep tab. IN U.K. brand names include: Somnil, Donormyl, DSozile and Restavit. Dozile is a brand name in New Zealand. You could alternate this with melatonin, which is a natural hormone that helps with sleep. This is also OTC (over the counter, at least it is in North America). I would choose the lowest dose that works, and only move up if necessary. Do not take more than the recommended dose for any of these. You may find that you sleep longer than usual or are groggy on waking.

If you choose to take Benadryl or another brand of diphenhydramine, you will want to take it well apart from your nighttime dose of diazepam, and avoid alcohol or other relaxants when you take it.

NOTE: SIDE EFFECTS WILL INCLUDE DRY MOUTH AND A GENERAL DRYING EFFECT ON NASAL PASSAGES. That's how antihistamines are supposed to work, as a treatment for allergies. Be sure to drink plenty of water. A sugar-free plain "cough drop" helps too. I keep Ricola on my bedside table, they are gently herbal only.

There may be interactions with some medications you may be on or have taken in the past couple of weeks. Check with the pharmacist/chemist.

Interestingly, some anti-depressants work on the histamine receptors in the brain, which is why withdrawal symptoms may include feelings of having flu or a cold!

Good luck! xx
    Marie

Just thought I would let you know that I went to doctor and he has upped my dosage of effexor by 35.75 mg? He thinks it might help a little bit with my anxiety and stress. Now worried if I will experience side effects.

Reckons it will take a couple of weeks to kick in.

I really hope this helps.

Hey, me too! Lol! As of yesterday, my doctor upped my Effexor by 37.5 mg, which I, too, hope won't cause too much by way of side effects. From all accounts, a small increase like this is the best way to go. Takes time and patience, but for those who got start-up side effects, (not everyone does), the side effects with any increase are much milder. And the benefits well worth it!

At start-up I had a few days of nausea and learned to eat breakfast before taking my capsules. Dry mouth meant packing water with me everywhere I went, and gum and hard candies. Got light-headed, and some muscle tonus (tension in muscles of my legs and arms and abdomen), but it did pass. Long, slow breaths. Relaxing with the laptop or tv when I couldn't do much. Especially if it will even milder than that, then I'm good with it!

Keep posting, and do search for threads on venlaxafine on here! Lots of support and good tips and success stories

Good luck!
    Marie
    Last edited by SADnomore; 15-08-14 at 06:15.

Good luck to you as well. I am really hoping that the increase will have minor effects as well. But positive effects. When you have anxiety you always think the worst is going to happen. It's horrible!

Thanks. I know, we are so used to fear and worry, we find it hard to live in each day as it unfolds. But you know, there are SO many success stories here and from people who pop back in occasionally to say they are more confident, productive, social and happy than they've ever been thanks to ven, it gives me real hope! Take heart! There will be blips, but more and more good days between the struggling ones. I can hardly wait!

Hi Marie

Just wondering how you are feeling with your increase? I am feeling really light headed like I am drunk. Feeling a little more anxious.

Can I ask what your total dosage is now?

Paula

Hi, Paula

(Sorry for the novel, below!)
    Well, I decided to wait until today (Saturday) to start, as I began my venlaxafine journey on a Saturday, and it makes it easier to keep track of number of weeks I've been on which dosage. I began with just one 37.5 for the first week, then doubled it after that to 75 mg. day. Doc has kept me on this dosage all spring/summer, and now at last has began to titrate up. Just added 37.5 today and am to stay at 112.5 for the next month.

I have seasonal affective disorder (SAD) and after a horrible winter breakdown last time, I went to see my GP in March. He has treated my depression before with zoloft, a number of years ago. But this time he diagnosed me with SAD (and generalized anxiety disorder concurrent), and chose Effexor XL. His strategy is to ramp it up every month or so until winter and then keep me at that dose if possible through til spring. I sure hope it helps, I was a mess last winter, it seems to get worse every year, and agoraphobia tries to take hold too. Since June, at my request I am also on Wellbutrin for motivation. I don't think it is helpful for anxiety, though. I have been more anxious since then.

This is normally the time of year that the SAD-related anxiety takes hold and I have been just hanging on waiting for the dosage increase! I am so relieved he has upped the Effexor finally from 75 to 112.5! I know there will be adjustments with each increase especially once it gets over 150, but if it keeps me functioning I will try to cope with the side effects. May have to drop the Wellbutrin, although it too is for the SAD.

As for your anxiety, I've seen it explained on many threads on here that our anxiety will normally spike as a new increase takes hold. This is part of the serotonin response, it is normal, and temporary, no worries! The lightheadedness/drunken feeling is right on cue too, so you seem to be right on track! Not nice, I know, as the lightheadedness (and muscle tautness) were the last symptoms to ease off as I stabilized on the ven, which took a few weeks. Didn't like that bit at all. Following advice on here I did long, slow deep breaths in through the nose, and out through the mouth. Exhaling for a few counts longer than you inhale for. Usually half a dozen breaths like this would help with the tension a lot. Repeated as necessary.

To be honest, I had to be gentle with myself as I wasn't up to par, really. Are you working atm? How long have you been taking Effexor?

Marie xx
    Last edited by SADnomore; 16-08-14 at 17:19.

Hi Marie, I have been taking Effexor XL since April. Third antidepressant in a year. I was on Zoloft for a while but hated it. First was celexa which I had been on for years and found really good. But decided I didn't need it anymore. And was only taking 10 mg a day and thought I was feeling great. Three weeks after stopping boy was I wrong. When I tried starting it again it wouldn't kick in. Therefore starting taking the anti anxiety and sleeping pills as well.

I have just increased from 150 Effexor by the 37.5 mg. Feeling more anxious today. Felt sick this morning.

Where abouts do you live? I am in New Zealand and we are in winter here now. It has been a very cold winter and I can't wait for it to be over. Hoping summer will be good. Unfortunately we had a terrible summer last year. I have three boys, two of them are twins. So sometimes I don't think they help with my anxiety. I don't work but go to polytechnic each day to study which helps slightly.

Let me know how you are getting on.

Paula
    Last edited by Hemps; 17-08-14 at 11:13. Reason: Just adding a sentence

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information