Thread: Anyone have any tips?

Unhappy Anyone have any tips?

Hi there,
    I'm new to this forum. Thought I would give it a try as I'm pretty low with constant anxiety and numerous full blown panic attacks every day. Permanently shaking and breathless. I know 'what' it is, but I just don't seem to be able to kick it. I have suffered for 20 years on and off, but at present its just about as bad as it could possibly be. Single mother, working from home, and am struggling to hold down very varied work contracts, which are very time-sensitive and stressful. Can't get out of the house much as the panics and anxiety make me agoraphobic.
    Feel very isolated.
    Tried citalopram for about 9 weeks, but the side-effects (even on just 10 mg) were horrendous, and didn't get much better after the 9 weeks, so I gradually weaned myself off them.
    Doc has given me sertraline to try instead, but tbh I've got so much work I'm trying to get through that I can't bear the thought of going through weeks of just about every side effect listed, yet again.
    Have recently started CBT, but that's not going very well, because I'm so exhausted with just getting through every day that I can't 'push' myself any further, and I seem to be spiralling ever-downwards.
    Anyone got any advice? Sitting here with my hands shaking, breathless and having one palpitation after another on top of the racing heart. Pretty grim, really.

Re: Anyone have any tips?

Try to get propranolol off your doctor , works wonders.

I still maintain that CBT works as well if not better than meds, but here's the thing-- it takes a lot of patience and you have to expect to feel worse before you feel better with it. I know I certainly did. It's because CBT opens the floodgates for all the bad habits/behaviors you've developed in coping with anxiety and panic, and it makes you so aware of everything,which puts you into a further circle. But trust me, if you stick with it, you have a really good chance of feeling a whole lot better. There is hope out there-- you're doing the best thing you can which is a combo of meds and CBT. I promise you won't get worse as long as you stick to both and work hard

Thanks Lyn89. It's good to have reassurance. Although I'm not new to CBT I'm at that low point where I can't imagine anything working! Taking every day 5 minutes at a time ! Am panic/anxiety-filled 24/7 and it's just so hard!
    Jury's still out trying on the sertraline. Had such bad side-effects with the citalopram that I can't quite bring myself to try yet another one!
    Day by day, I suppose, is the only way ... Appreciate the contact. It can be a lonely world when the panic and severe permanent anxiety mean one cannot find peace anywhere.

CBT never worked for me

Do you think you may have to much on your plate? Is there anything you can take off, i.e. some of your daily work that won't make you so stressed? If you are at your capacity, pushing the limits everyday, I'm not sure how you'll be able to tackle this quickly. What do you do to relax/self-care?

WOW give your self a pat on the back your having all these problems but yet still holding to gether being a single mum and working hard everyday, its ok if it gets to you and your body is saying slow down give your self a break, it carnt be easy, CBT is ok but it didn't work for me so i tryed and still look for new ways to deal with my stress everyday, because that's what an anxiety sufferer dose have you tryed ice with the breathing close your eyed lay down then suck on ice it distracts the brain just long enough to break the patten . hope this helps . maggie

Hi Eviedogsmum, it's good to hear from another single mum working from home - sometimes I feel like the only one. Sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I wasn't doing too badly until a close friend was diagnosed with a terminal illness a couple of months ago, and since then I've been struggling again. Working from home can be quite isolating, and, as you say, as the sole provider there is constant pressure to keep the money coming in however you may be feeling. A lot of people on this site say exercise helps, so I'm going to try to fit in as much as I can. Would you be able to do some at home if you can't get out? An exercise DVD or an exercise bike? Goldfinch x

Thanks for all your support and ideas.
    I've been saying for months now that I must try and do some more exercise. I used to run 5-6 miles every other morning, and it did absolute wonders for my anxiety levels and I was SO much more on an even keel, but over the last couple of years, what with one thing and another, I've turned back into a desk-sitter. It's just so hard when every small bit of exercise starts my heart racing and kicks off a major panic attack, that I put it off, and even going for a decent walk is hard because of the agoraphobia.

Yadda yadda, I dare say you've all heard it all before, and I 'know' what I should be doing, but actually 'doing' it is another matter when I'm SO anxious all the time that putting one more stress (which exercise is, for me at the moment due to it causing panics) on top of all the rest seems to be the last thing I can face!!

I just have to be 'stronger' and make the commitment, I suppose.

Anyone else have a 'problem' with exercise, by the way?
    I used to be super-fit, and it really does help, I can vouch for that!

Thread Information