Hi everyone,

I hope someone can give me some advice/piece of mind.

About 6 months ago I was lying in bed and I sat up but when I done so I stretched my neck and felt this really sharp cramping or siezing pain in the back of my head, sort of where it meets the top of my neck. Over the next few weeks I couldnt turn or tilt my head to the left without getting a really jarring pain in that area when I done so. Over the next few months the jarring pain dulled (its still there but not nearly as bad) but I still was feeling pain sort of where my shoulder meets the bottom of my neck and every now and again I would get this type of electric shock kind of pain that would start about 3 inches above my head and travel down the side of my head, stopping about 2 inches above my temple, an inch or 2 back from my forehead. I seen a Doctor and she said that she thought the muscles were maybe trapping a nerve and that was the reason for the electric shock pain. She prescribed me 500mg of Naproxen, 3 times a day for 2 weeks. For the first few days I would get really bad stomach ache after taking the Naproxen so I stopped taking them and the pain kind of dulled on its own, never fully going away. It wouldnt be there every day though, maybe every 2 or 3 days. I spoke about this to a co worker and he told me that he had the exact same thing, pain in the same pattern etc and recommended a physio for me to go see. I had 3 appointments with the physio, after the first I didnt really feel much different, after the second I felt a bit better and I also started to take the Naproxen again and the pain more or less went but he wanted to see me back one last time. During the 3rd session he was massaging the area I had felt the original cramping pain in and told me that it was very tight in this area and he worked on it for a while, when I set up it felt great, like my head was floating on top of my neck (strange as that sounds!) but it felt like I had been really loosened up. So, fast forward 3 weeks later and things are as bad as they were before with the added bonus now of my neck popping and cracking if I turn certain ways, and a scraping noise when I turn my head also but that was there before and the physio told me that it was more than likely a ligament rubbing against a bone or something! I took co codamol (8mg Codeine 500mg Paracetamol) for a couple of days last week and the pain went away nearly altogether but didnt want to keep that up in case I became addicted to Codeine lol but all weekend I felt great (the pain seems to subside at the weekends anyway so now I am wondering whether it maybe has something to do with how I sit at work, my posture etc), until Tuesday afternoon when the electric shock pain came back and also a pain down the back of my head to the Occipital region. So to sum up;

Pain where my neck and shoulder meet.
Pain at the back of my skull in the Occipital region
Shooting pain along side of my head and above temple
The pain goes away if I am up and walking about keeping busy and goes away at weekends when not in work
Seems to come on when I am in work at my desk
Pain when tilting head to shoulder
Clicking, grinding, popping, scraping noises when moving head side to side

I have had no sickness, vomiting, fever etc, other than this pain at the side of my head and neck I feel fine. I'm actually heading to Orlando in 3 weeks with family and I am dreading a 9 hour flight while feeling like this, I have a doctors appointment on Tuesday so hopefully I can get some answers and some painkillers for relief then.

Does my situation sound familiar to anyone? Anyone got any idea what it could be??

Thanks in advance guys and sorry its so long winded!

Ger4