Thread: Positive stories about propranolol

Positive stories about propranolol

Hi everyone

Looking to see some positive feedback on propranolol. I've been prescribed it by my doctor and as usual I'm really scared trying new meds. Can anyone here share any positive experiences about it? I've been prescribed it to try stop my dizziness/breathlessness

Thanks xXx

Re: Positive stories about propranolol

Hi Jen, I was prescribed it a few years ago for high bp and its controlled that ok. A bonus is that it also helps with the missed beats and flutters...doesn't take them away completely but definitely makes them happen much less. I take 40mgs split into 2x20mgs morn and eve. It does slow your system down so you may feel a bit lethargic at first. What dose are you on?

We have a whole sub-forum for this so I have moved your post there.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Thanks for your reply I've been prescribed the 40mg once a day.... I just get very nervous when taking new meds xXx

Hi
    I was prescribed this 2 weeks ago and it did not agree with me at all. I'm off now after talking to my doctor. The dizziness for me is unbelievable and my hands and feet are freezing. It's sunny here in UK and I'm wearing two jumpers and two pairs of socks! Horrible!
    But for most people, it seems to work for them good luck with it

Hi,

I'm on 80mg slow release and it has helped in the way of plugging out the adrenalin and helps keeping panic attacks at bay.

Red

I eventually tried it with the help of my partner but I don't think it was the drug for me either. I've heard lots of good stories about it though!! But my body never reacts normal to anything lol xXx

I've heard a lot of bad things about Beta Blockers. I'll be avoiding them from now on!
    Feel better soon!

Propranolol (first discovered in 1964) is the ultimate drug for the 21st century as it blocks production of adrenaline in your body. When we experience any form of stress, our fight and flight responsiveness kicks in, our "brain" can start feeling not easy and at danger, so he makes an order to flow andrenaline in your body... As you probably know, adrenaline is directly responsible for heart beat, contraction of lungs aka breathing, and sweat production. Then in practice, we either flee the confrontation, or we face it. If we face it, we are being challenged in many ways, so the stress is still there. This is the nature of working for some company which 99% of us do these days. Other stress factors such as families, partnerships also come into question very often.

Propranolol can however block your adrenaline "stress" reaction to such an extent that you should not be feeling the every-day pressures nor should you develop any panicky feelings. The Big Pharma gods however know this, they know that there could potentially be a great demand for this drug and that this drug could effectively wipe out all need for counselling, most cases of depressions and most cases of anxieties, so they discontinued what would be just a single pill to be taken in the morning (INDERAL LA by AstraZeneca) and which lasts the whole day, between 10-20 hours. How (not) convenient for the UK people!

Now, the UK patient does not have that. There are some inferior alternatives though (Bedranol by Sandoz, Beta Prograne by Tilomed) but these are not that "potent" or shall I say, effective. It takes them too many hours to kick in (up to 5 hours), and the effect does not last the whole day (rather 12 hours, minus 5 hours of the drug peaking in your system, hence 7 effective hours at most).

You will have to find your dosage which will work for you and your body; it could be between 10mg to 320mg, but you should consult your experience with this drug with your doctor. Of course, propranolol cannot cure psychosis or schizofrenia, but it serves well for people with different neurotic problems (depression, anxiety), i.e. when you are not disillusional but you simply feel at great discomfort, emotional pain or lack thereof.

Also, a low dosage of propranolol (I'd say in the region between 10mg-40mg) could work as prevention of a heart attack, and according to the most recent studies, propranolol in the effective dose between 160mg-320mg can manage PTSD patients.
    Last edited by Svojski85; 20-06-14 at 08:44.

Hi Jen
    I have been on propranolol for around 7-8 years. I take 40 mg 3 times a day but can up it to 4 if I want. I have had no problems with this drug, when I first started taking it I had every symptom going, but I was doing that to myself worrying what it was going to do to me. I did knock my dose down a few years ago, I was fine for a year but had a bad period of anxiety and a massive panick attack and I upped it again.
    Hope that it works for you.
    Take care. X

Thread Information