Thread: How long after taking Propranolol do the effects wear off?

Unhappy How long after taking Propranolol do the effects wear off?

Morning
    My doctor recently put me on 10mg of Propranolol 3 times a day for anxiety. I've suffered with this for 2 years and was on Sertraline which worked wonders for me.
    This time, she put me on these as I was getting heart palpitations.
    After about 10 days I had a nasty reaction to them. I was constantly dizzy, hands and feet were numb and cold, felt feverish, and felt like I was going to pass out. The panic was unbelievable. Rang the doctor who Saudi could come off them straight away as I was on such Low dose.
    It has now been 5 days since I last took one and I still feel really dizzy etc. Yesterday nhs direct advised me to go to Hospital which I did as it felt that bad.
    I just wondered if for anyone else who has come off of these- did it take this long to leave your system?! I could barely stand up yesterday! Feel constantly spaced out. The doctor at hospital said it can take a while for some people, but just wanted to get reassurance from anybody who had taken them before
    Thanks

Re: How long after taking Propranolol do the effects wear off?

Propranolol is a short acting non-selective beta-blocker that has a half life of 4-5 hours, so the effects start to wear off within that time period. This is why the dose is given several times a day, rather than a longer acting beta-blocker which may be taken once a day. After 5 days I would imagine that it has left your system, as there isn't much difference person to person in metabolising and excreting drugs like this. A safe source of information is the eMC site.

I had to stop taking propranolol because of nightmares and tremors when it was wearing off. It took around a week for these to disappear after I stopped taking it. In my case, mainly because of an increase in anxiety that I was left dealing with at the same time. Your pharmacist may be able to answer any questions better than a doctor as they're experts in pharmacology.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents, that yes, I felt awful for around a week after stopping them, but it wasn't necessarily the continued action of the medication that was responsible with me.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Hi,

Everyone acts differently. I take propranolol to stop the symptoms you describe as your side effects!

Propranolol helps combat my 'inner tremor / shakes' and reduces my dizziness - although i do too experience cold hands, feet and massive fatigue but id take that any day over the dizziness and feeling faint!

Hope you find something that works for you!

Hi,

I was pescribed these a month ago to deal with Anxiety. I took for a week then stupidly stopped suddenly, big mistake! Wound up in A&E due to the Side effects, dizzyness, sweating, tight throat tension in shoulders and neck (note some of these could be the anxiety). Basically they told me to keep taking them (pescribed me more) and slowly lower the dose as suddenly stopping them is dangerous and causes horrible sides. I seem to have ups and downs but generally these dont agree with me but many people seem to be fine on these. Did you finish these ok?

Hope it all works/worked out!

hi can you take prpropanol with zantac please ??

I took 40mg once a day propanalol for 6 weeks. I had dry eyes, cold fingers/ toes/ interrupted sleep/ dizziness etc. After spking to a pharmacist he advised me i can split the med by half in the morning and then evening. Then I decided to reduce it to half a tablet per day as this was suitable. I did this for 2 weeks then I stopped altogether on 1/1/16. I felt back to normal for a week ( good sleep/ positive attitude/ confident then yesterday 8/1/16 I was feeling anxious again. shall I go back to half a tablet? or will I be ok by the end of the week to let the Med come out my system.

Quote Originally Posted by BenMills01 View Post
    Hi,

I was pescribed these a month ago to deal with Anxiety. I took for a week then stupidly stopped suddenly, big mistake! Wound up in A&E due to the Side effects, dizzyness, sweating, tight throat tension in shoulders and neck (note some of these could be the anxiety). Basically they told me to keep taking them (pescribed me more) and slowly lower the dose as suddenly stopping them is dangerous and causes horrible sides. I seem to have ups and downs but generally these dont agree with me but many people seem to be fine on these. Did you finish these ok?

Hope it all works/worked out!

When i read this i thought it was actually me who wrote it wow

I did the exact same thing, I got put on them for palps and anxeity related issues ( still get them when on prop)

I was on them and got sharp pains in left wrist so i suddenly stopped them and same thing i ended up in hospital

1 minute i was listening to music next minute i think i felt 2 like hard beats in my chest and then it just went sky high and my heart rate went at like 200 no lie i jumped up and panic'd so that did not help it was 10x worse , i was so white and pale and my right arm was going dead it was happening for around 1 minute in total but it felt like 1 hour after it calmed down i was uncontrollably shaking and my right arm was numb and tingling and just felt dead , so i went hospital when they come to my home but by then it had calmed down whatever happened ( now i know it was due to stopping them) so when they checked my heart on the special machines forgot names they said everything was fine they seemed to ignore the fact i told them i stopped propranolol and the fact i was on them they just never listened , I was in bed for a week straight after having constant heart palps and every time it happened i always jumped up and it would beat fast for a minute , I was playing with life , at the time i never knew it was due to stopping the meds but it was and my heart was jumping up and down so i went to the docs and explained and she checked my heart rate and it was 120 resting wich is not good at all so they put me back on them and its not happened since i only take 1 a day 40mg at like 8pm as i dont want to be on 3 a day

Spelling and grammar bad sorry

Propranolol is one of the oldest of the beta blockers and has been around for many years. I was prescribed it at 80mg slow release taken once a day in 2007, because my blood pressure was really high at that time as well as getting alot of migraine headaches. The side effects were bad for me too with really low energy and feeling I couldn't get enough air whenever I was walking even short distances. The only benefit at that dose was they controlled the 'skipped' beats that have plagued me for years. I didn't experience dizziness or disturbed sleep on it though.

I took them at 40mg for the last few years, then last year my doctor changed me over to another beta blocker called Bisoprolol at 10mg. ..which he said was the equivalent of 40mg propranolol, and I have to say they suit me loads better, with much less side effects. I still get a few skipped beats and strangely get them in the first hour after taking the tablet before everything calms down, then I feel fine again. My doctor takes Bisoprolol for his palpitations too so i'm in good company!

I still get a little breathless out walking but not as bad as before, and I could put that down to being unfit and carrying more weight, but was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid in 2010 so that doesn't help, but that's another story.

ISB x

I went to the hospital for a panic attack and they put me a beta blocker 5mg but don't know which one it's been 6 days and I got these horrible symptoms strong headache, my arms feel swollen, feel like I'm not here physically, extreme dizziness, feel depressed, can someone tell me when will this be over?

doctors put me on half a 5mg bisoprolol (concor) after my first panic attack at November 2016 after 5 months changed it to nebivolol (lobivon) cause bisoprolol had bad effects in libido! We all must get rid of our fears and worries at first,secondly have a word with any psychologist (that though didn't have some effect on me) or try acupuncture with needles (that helped me tremendously) or attend any class of yoga courses, last but not least listening to healing music on the net! Taking beta blockers surely have side effects (cold hands dizziness sometimes additional anxiety for taking them) but all these go away as time passes by and realise that in the end everything is in our mind!

Thread Information