Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

Re: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

I think - but I'm not sure now - that the only other time I may have experienced lightning in January was back in 1975, when there were also very high winds. However, the flash and crash I heard could just have easily been one of my Dad's huge greenhouses collapsing!

But yes, I genuinely think that the occasion I described earlier was the only time I recall lightning in January, ever. We do tend to associate it with summer.

And yes, I still hate it when it's overhead. I'm terrified it'll strike the huge tree in my back garden and it'll collapse onto my house.

As we had a few rumbles around the UK recently, I thought I'd post a link to the excellent www.blitzortung.org - a site which tracks and locates lightning around the world.

The small crosses are where lightning has occurred - white is new, red is old. The green rays show which detectors have picked up on the lightning and co-ordinate the positions to give a precise location.

If nothing else, you can watch storms develop elsewhere, and if you are so minded it can act as a tracking device when your locality has storms forecast. Ideally, you will use this knowledge in a positive manner to help you confront your phobia
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 12-07-17 at 23:15.

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    As we had a few rumbles around the UK recently, I thought I'd post a link to the excellent www.blitzortung.org - a site which tracks and locates lightning around the world.

The small crosses are where lightning has occurred - white is new, red is old. The green rays show which detectors have picked up on the lightning and co-ordinate the positions to give a precise location.

If nothing else, you can watch storms develop elsewhere, and if you are so minded it can act as a tracking device when your locality has storms forecast. Ideally, you will use this knowledge in a positive manner to help you confront your phobia
    Hi This is excellent Pamplemousse and will help suffers like my self thanks

Watch TED he shows you how to cope with thunder

Quote Originally Posted by Magic View Post
    Hiya Tess. hope you are on the mend now. Thought your had left.
    Take Care .. .as for the thunder and lightening, I just sit at the bottom of the stairs, xx
    Hi magic. It's a loooooong story.... I am good in the sense all the hard work I did in counselling has paid off. It made me stronger, stronger than I know perhaps, even now. Many downs, just stuff life throws at you. No choice but to deal with it.
    As regards thunder and lightning.... well I am better with it than I used to be.... if it doesn't take me by surprise then that helps. I use lightningmaps.org, means I can keep tabs if I need to :-)
    In the end, I suppose we all do what we have to, to cope :-)

I'm resurrecting this thread due to the current storm and for people that fear them like myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    I'm resurrecting this thread due to the current storm and for people that fear them like myself.
    Yeah, very weird weather at the moment isn't it? We seem to be having April showers around here too. They do tend to happen later these days though.

We had some thunder last week too. It rained for about 3 straight days pretty much non stop and most of the time heavy. The plants are loving it but I don't think our sparrows are as happy as they stay in more and prefer their drenching to come in the form of regular baths in our waterfall.

Hopefully it will pass over soon. Thunder doesn't bother me but in the last one I had a bedroom window open (I've had them all open in previous years when we had thunder too) and it is so much louder!

Thank you for reviving this thread. The high temperatures are really stressing me out. We had a storm last night and more are forecast tomorrow night. I'm dreading it. I just want winter to come.

I know exactly how you feel sedalia. Do you do anything to help the fear?

Terry, sorry I only just saw your reply.

Funny ole thing, the differences in people isn't it. I ADORE big storms, especially those huge summer ones with the lightening right overhead and torrential rain. Last night from 1 onwards was incredible, continual flashing from fork and sheet lightening, HUGE thunder rolls, we all got up to watch - I find the forces of nature are so exciting. Anyway, that hasn't helped much has it, sorry, lol

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread Information