Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

Re: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

Well.... Of course I did survive. In fact this morning I am pretty calm about it.
    Hopefully u will b able to contend with it ok, carnation and of course there's no reason to suppose u will get a storm anyway. So try not to be too apprehensive .... Because as we all know, mot if ptehn"the wort never happens".
    U cud always post how u feel if u do have a storm some time. Or write notes about it at the time.cyoucwuldnt have to share them as they can be private, just for yourself?
    Though I find sharing helps alot. It didnt seem to matter if anyone was online or not, I still felt I had my friends with me :-)
    Also it can be very useful to read back what u have said too.
    makes you realise how brave u actually can be.

I am terrified of storms. We had a big one last night. I jumped out if bed at the first rumble of thunder and sat at the bottom of my stairs (where there are no windows) for 3 hours while it lasted. I came on this forum with my tablet, hoping I could log into the chat room to try and occupy myself but was unable to as you need Java activated, and I cant download it on my tablet. This morning I was shattered, not only through lack of sleep but the fear, and pre- storm worry is so emotionally draining. I can't bear the thought of going through this year after year.

Sedalia, maybe there is something that can be done to help u with the fear? Perhaps see if you can remain in bed, albeit hidden under the bedclothes? I am told the storm here went on well into the early hours but I had managed to fall asleep. Amazing really.

Hi Tessar, thanks for your reply. I have tried staying in bed but I'm in such a high state of anxiety its impossible for me to fall asleep. My way of thinking is that if I'm downstairs, apart from being away from windows, if the house gets struck by lightning I'm safer down there than upstairs in the bedroom. I know I'm not helping myself by these avoidance tactics tho. Well done to you for staying in bed! I don't even know where this fear has come from, I never had it s a child, I think it started in my teens for some reason, and has rapidly got worse (I'm 49 now).

Sedalia, I did exactly what you did last night. Jumped out of bed, ran downstairs, found place with no windows and crouched on the floor until it went away.

Sorry Tessar, I let you down. :( I tried sleeping so I wasn't facing the window, but once that big bang came, that was it, brain into overdrive and heart pounding. I seem to be getting worse. I'm worried that when I get older, I won't be able to get out of bed so quick and rush down the stairs. I'll probably end up falling down the stairs and that will be what kills me. Its really getting on my nerves now. I couldn't get up this morning because I'd been up half the night. And, I'm so impressed with you being so brave. I feel so pathetic, a mature woman can't handle a little thunder and a flash of lightning.

Carnation, you haven't let me down at all. Please don't think that. I will always encourage you and offer support, all we can do is try our best, ferris a horrible thing.... I do appreciate that thunder and lightning is darned scary. I had someone with me didnt I, that makes it easier. I am home alone thu and fri Eve's. I won't want thunder then!
    Sedalia, I was in our family home decades ago and we were struck. It didnt damage the house fortunately. It was v.scary but I did survive. I wouldn't want to experience that again as the thunder came almost before the lightning was gone. But it was ok. Over in a flash (haa haa). I know it isn't a subject to joke over and again, as with carnation, I do relate strongly to your fear.
    Well, I must be off to bed. Early start in the morning. Night all.

Thanks Tessar,
    I will try harder next time. I just seem to be getting weaker and weaker, not stronger and stronger. I couldn't even find the Cat?

See how you go, it isn't always easy. I left work tonight to cycle home and cud see big black clouds in the distance. They didnt bother me tonight but on a different night I am sure they would.

We had some of this today. Not too close. I was remarkably calm.

Well, I knew it was coming today. I had to go out, so there was a risk of getting caught in it. I didn't fret and thought I'll deal with it when it arrives.
    Where was I? No, not a safe place like the shops or a place I could hide. I was in a place very near to woods; lots of trees and well away from any safe place. To top it all, I was practicing driving the Car again. (Talk about piling it on).
    The rain came and I thought of my God, what a pickle I have got myself in to. A roll of thunder and then I start to panic. Driving, Trees, no where to hide......
    I kept going with the driving, remembered the safety thing about the rubber tyres sort of acting as protection. Waited for the Lightening to appear. But nothing. Just rumbles.
    What? I thought. I was ready for it and it didn't happen. I was so pleased and happy with myself and the best thing was, I didn't have a Panic Attack or any Anxiety symptoms. Don't know what will happen next time, but I got through this one.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information