Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

Re: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

That's fantastic carnation. I am very proud of you. You did so well. Sometimes when we are in the situation, we have no option but to cope. You did cope. And very well at that. It's likely at some point there will be a next time, it does happen I am afraid, but the good thing is, you can refer back to this positive outcome and it can help you in the future.
    My reaction seems to vary infinitely. Today I was so calm it was great. Another day, perhaps if I am influenced by surroundings or how my day is going, I will react more. three things spring to mind.
    First I won't let the threat of thunder and lightning stop me living my life normally.
    Second, I would always take care. That doesn't mean being over cautious, but obviously I would avoid a truly risky situation.
    Lastly, I don't apologise to anyone for feeling scared and these days, if I am scared I don't mind if people know or see that. So what? Its a powerful thing, just like other natural events. Some people are scared. Some are not. But those who are never need to apologise for their fear.
    After all..... We are trying to deal with the fear and one if the only ways to do that is indeed to feel the fear.
    That happened to you today and u coped admirably!
    I think that's brilliant which of course means u r brilliant too, carnation.

Thanks Tessar. I am really quite chuffed with myself. Bring it on!

Carnation.... I was mega brave today. Everyone at work was beavering away quietly..... Then there was a massive clap of thunder, really close..... Even people who don't kind it jumped. I have to say it did take a while for me to calm down but at least I didn't scream! My colleagues know I am scared of it so its not a problem if they can see I am scared.
    Anyway I had cycled in today so had no option bit to ride home. Well good job I brought my waterproofs as it was hoofing it down when I left. The roads were awash and one was blocked with deep water!!
    I did wonder at the time of this big bang if I'd be scared riding home but to be honest I was so busy concentrating on cycling safely that I didn't even think about what might happen with the weather. Fortunately the heavy rain eased off to nothing & by the time I was home the sun was out.
    Must say ..... Having survived this moment of scariness, I couldn't wait to tell u I had been brave. Its like you were there making me feel better.

Hi Tessar,

Funny, I thought of you too when the Thunder came.
    I had stupidly put washing on the line, fully knowing it was going to , Thunder today.
    Well, the sky went black and the rumbling started. I was so intent on getting the washing in before it got wet that I sort of had this attitude with it. I wasn't going to let it hinder me and wash the whole lot again, so I just kept my head down and got on with the job.
    Even my Partner was surprised. As he reminded me about the Thunder and me being out in it, I just replied; "Oh, I can't be bothered with that today, I've got to get this washing in".
    I think being occupied with something else is definitely the answer to the Fear!

Quote Originally Posted by Carnation View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Sounds pathetic, but I am really scared of Thunder and Lightning. To make it worse, I check out the Forecast to find out when it is coming. I can't sleep at night and I normally go and hide where I can't see a window and just sit and fret. Anyone got any tips to get through this?
    My cat does this and he's a brave boy! You're in good company
    Glad to see you've faced these fears recently.

FYI - We just had a line of storms go through and our boy cuddled with me for protection... The big wuss ~lol~ Hey... maybe you can use this to your advantage and have a cuddle with your significant other

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

FMP I like your style... Any excuse for a cuddle eh? our cats not too bad with thunder but the one before her used to come and sit by our feet. She was really scared of it. Being brave for her helped me e brave in turn.

Carnation.... I am very impressed ... Well done!

Terrible storms for pretty much the whole of last night, through to this morning (still rumbling away now...)... I hardly slept a wink

Oh Dear, What a night that was. Afraid I crumbled last night. It really was Bad! Grabbed the Cat; think I was squeezing him too tight because he had a strange look on his face. Crouched on the floor downstairs where there was very little visibility of lightning and stayed there until it was gone. Shattered today and we have now got more coming tonight.

Oh no, sorry u were suffering .... anxietyDJ & Carnation, I did think of this thread and my friends here when I heard the first rumble. I was in trepidation well before it arrived and I really wasn't impressed.
    I had been outside to shut our doors & it felt really "spooky". I didn't like being outside. Then about half an hour after we went to bed I needed the loo. So I made my partner put the light on(I don't ever like to get out of bed without the lights on if there's thunder about) & I had just heard a distant rumble, I said to her do you think I'll be ok as I don't want to see any lightning. So just as I get in the bathroom there's a flash! So I screamed.
    I wish I wasn't scared of it. People sat up to watch and I have seen pics. It was well spectacular but last night I just wasn't able to do that. I Wonder, if I did sit up, watch & try not to be scared perhaps I would be ok? But it seems to vary infinitely.
    I have been using a live lightning map. Is really good because I know if it's near. I don't want it to make me more scared. Instead I see it as advanced warning, it means I can be more relaxed.
    I was scared of it ever since I can remember. I think if I had been encouraged to embrace it instead if just being told to be quiet and stop making a fuss, perhaps now I would be able to enjoy it. For me it's a very deep and inbuilt fear. I can't think of the words to describe it really but you probably don't need me to because you know that feeling.
    At the moment the storms aren't near here. I'm glad about that.

Oh God. I am absolutely sh...... myself tonight. My Anxieties are really bad, I've just been looking at the sky; sorry the 'black hole' and read someone else's post about their neighbour's house being struck by lightning.
    I am going around switching all appliances off and pulling plugs out of their sockets. I am a little nervous being on the laptop, but have checked on the web and apparently this is ok to use. I've checked on the net and the storm is coming about 3am and lasting until 9am. Thing is, it has already started in the beyond, so I've missed going to bed to hide. I nearly strangled the cat last night holding him so tight. I thought I was getting better, but I have been kidding myself. I am definitely worse. last night must be the worse I have seen for a very long time. Even thinking of sleeping in the ward-robe. Is there really anyone else as bad as me. I just want to be injected with something and be put out for the duration. Have visions of staying up all night. And, to make things even more worse, according to weather sites, it is going to last all week!!!!!

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information