Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

Re: Scared of Thunder and Lightning!

No it isn't allowed to last all week.
    I forbid it, I have cycling to do and a lot of it.
    No. No. No. No. No. No. No.
    I don't know what to say carnation....... Well, actually, if I am honest your best bet is to go to your bed. You are safe in bed. Get under the bedclothes and snuggle. You might even sleep. I is where's always go and let night when the form was her here I did eventually go back to sleep even tho I didn't think I would.
    I am gonna be heading to bed soon, knackered after losing sleep to it last night.
    You go to bed too, in your bed. You can do it.

I will Tessar, I still have another 20 appliances to disconnect first. I also don't go to bed early, because I just don't sleep so well. An early night for me is midnight. Otherwise I just lay there anxious for hours. I have to say that I feel better turning electrical appliances off, don't know whether it was a good idea, but I have been reading about the precautions against the 'Thunder and Lightning'. Don't fret Tessar, it's not all storms, but just rain all week and not all the time. I was just saying today, I don't know why I am like this, when I was younger, I was a bit of a dare devil; a No Fear attitude. I really do want to improve, but last night was a bad one.

Yipee the uk is thunder free. All can relax.

Here's a thought: you can actually get relaxation tracks of tropical thunderstorms and rain. If you get hold of one of those you could get yourself used to the sound of thunder - obviously it's not going to work for the lightning but it might help to have something you can control and switch off whenever you want to?

I'm sure the cat will thank you

The Cat runs every time it rains now. Probably thinks; "Oh No, she's going to grab me again and try to squeeze me to death".
    I will give the tropical relaxations tracks a try, thanks for the tip.

Poor puss

Carnation, our previous cat was scared of thunder.
    She gave me confidence because I knew I needed to be calm for her.
    Our new cat isn't bothered by it.... Which is sort if a shame as I always seem to be more brave for other people or animals !

Was out when the Thunder and Lightning arrived today. Was in a Café, sky went black, Thunder rumbled with flashes of light. Stayed calm, was surprisingly ok and got back to the Car ok with no Panic.
    I think I am worse when I am indoors, which doesn't make sense to me. You should feel safer in your own House, but I think its a feeling of being isolated. I had lots of people around me and I think that is more comforting. After that major storm we had, it made today look really pathetic. I am thinking of wearing flip-flops in bed though, read about a woman that was saved after a hit by Lightning. Do they make bed-socks out of rubber?

Well... We had a storm yesterday afternoon at work. My boss & I were at the window, watching. There was a big fork of lightning, so I said to him "at least I didn't scream". He chuckled. I don't hide it from my colleagues, my feeling is "so what if I don't like it". It no longer bothers me if they know. Initially i was concerned as i'd cycled to work but this was like 3.30 & i wasn't leaving work til 5.00. Well, The storm came to nothing really, a few flashes & rumbles. By leaving time the sun was out & it was sweltering again. When I got home, I realised I had hardly thought about thunder while I was out cycling!

You did well carnation and I have to agree with you about the feelings of isolation. If I turn the clock back 30 yrs, still living at home.... I had some time off work to look after my new kitten. One afternoon a big storm breed so I went running, kitten and all to the front of the house & felt more connected as there were people out and about. Because friends of mine know I don't like storms, I also remind myself that if a term comes along, they will be thinking about me.

Rubber socks!? Could make your feel a bit smelly!
    Last edited by Tessar; 26-07-14 at 16:43.

I used to be scared of thunder and lighting, A friend told me, that the Most HIgh was moving the funiture around, every time it thundered, my friend would say, that the big table being moved, wardrobe etc.., ya think they would lift it not make that noise. this helped me to get through the days when it was thundering and lighting.

for the lighting, my friend would tell me for the sheet lighting, refreshing the beds.
    for the fork lighting, was like sitting at the table to have your meal.

this helped me. today I dont use that. I not keen on thunder and lightning, cause I have children, that sort of helped, cause i had to be brave for them.

my children are all older now. it was sort of fun, when they all came running into my room, I had to comfort them.

I can understand how frightening it can be.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information