Thread: NHS talking theropies CBT

NHS talking theropies CBT

I've had 3 sessions (weekly) so far. I know there is still a few more sessions left to go (therapist thinks about 8) but I'm feeling 'indifferent' about it all. I'm not naive to think I was going to be given an overnight cure but so far it's all been theory based. I know from research what's going on, I remind myself of these facts when my anxiety is high or I'm having a panic attack but it still doesn't stop these things from happening.

I know everyone's case studies are different and probably unique to them but has anyone else been through this service? And what am I to expect moving forward? My 4th session is later this morning and I'm hoping we will start to work on physical techniques to help (breathing etc) as the theory stuff is only good.. Well... In theory

The NHS is a wonderful service were lucky to have and I don't wish to sound ungrateful or mr know it all but these sessions have been pretty pointless so far

Re: NHS talking theropies CBT

Hi Marc
    I've been waiting forever for my turn to come up with CBT,so am interested to hear of other peoples experiences. Part of it for me,is the opportunity to at least talk about things a bit more than I'm having the opportunity to at the moment.
    I really want to try and cut down on the meds I'm on as some of the side effects are awful.
    I hope it goes on to help you more,and will be interested in how it goes.
    I've just got a copy of Ruby Wax's new book 'sane new world' which I'm dipping into,and that seems to offer some good ideas.

Did my theropist read my post?! Today's session was a bit more practical they have identified that part of my problem (as with all I imagine) is that I'm constantly thinking about my anxiety 24/7 which is reinforcing the problem.. Nothing I couldnt of figured out myself. The exercise we did was to train my thoughts away from my anxiety symptoms onto something else. As for results it's too early as it can take weeks to 'master' apparently. I hope you get an appointment soon and that it helps

Hi Marc. It could be that your therapist is just taking her time to assess you and get to know you. Don't be afraid to tell her how you feel about the sessions, as she should try and tailor them for you.

After a couple of weeks wondering when we were going to do something practical - it happened today and it wasnt nice but hopefully will stand me in good stead for the future.

We focused on the 2 main symptoms i experience with anxiety and panic. Dizziness and feeling faint. The point of the exercise was to get over the fear of these symptoms.. so i could embrace them in future and accept that they are harmless.. easier said than done right?

My therapist induced the symptoms by firstly making me stand up, face the wall and hyperventilate by breathing in and out deeply but very fast for about 3mins after stopping i wasn't allowed to sit down, hold anything, change my breathing techniques until the feeling of faint passed and i returned to 'normal'

Next she made me spin round in a circle very fast about 25 times. Again, i wasnt allowed to sit down or hold anything for balance until the feeling past and i returned to my 'normal' state.

Throughout all my therapist asked me to describe what i was feeling and kept asking me to score my anxiety / panic on a scale of 1-10 until my level returned to its normal 4 to 4.5

It was so scary but I'm glad i done it. The critical side of me 'argued' that it was all well and good doing it in a controlled environment but how would i feel if the symptoms come on out of the blue in a super market say?!

The answer: The symptoms would still feel the same

CBT can be a very powerful tool. I am training to become a counsellor and we recently spoke about CBT and what it intends to do. Doing experiments like what you did with the dizziness is fantastic because, as you said, the symptoms are the same no matter what environment you're in. It's also worth baring in mind that anxiety increases your blood pressure so it's impossible to faint

I had CBT for my anxiety. It was not on the physical symptoms but on the over-worry and irrational beliefs. It took many experiments which riddled me with extreme anxiety for me to come out the other end feeling far better than I ever have done in my life. I swear by CBT and recommend it to everyone.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

I am waiting for a phone assessment from a counsellor, so am interested in reading your posts. I realised I needed help and do not want to rely on meds. I sometimes feel like I am going to pass out with dizzy spells too and sweat profusely. I think I am looking forward to counselling.....

Thread Information