Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it that any medication used to help us always has side effects?

Why is it that any medication used to help us always has side effects?

Why isn't there a proven medication/medicine that can be used to help people like us without disgusting side effects? More money needs to be pumped into this area of study if you ask me...
    I was just checking anti-anxiety medication and NOT ONE didn't have some sort of side effect attached to it... That cant be right???

Re: Why is it that any medication used to help us always has side effects?

I think some of it is to cover themselves,but also the fact that our chemistrys are all different.
    What works well for one person,doesn't for another.
    Although we've come a long way with this,there's still so much about the human brain that they just don't know,its almost like trying to crack a nut with a sledgehammer,taking meds.
    Its difficult to take a med when you've got anxiety and depression, that has a side effect of anxiety!!
    I guess we have a lot to be thankful for though,its a lot better than it was,although mental health in general is underfunded,and overstretched.

Quote Originally Posted by aprilmoon View Post
    I think some of it is to cover themselves,but also the fact that our chemistrys are all different.
    What works well for one person,doesn't for another.
    Although we've come a long way with this,there's still so much about the human brain that they just don't know,its almost like trying to crack a nut with a sledgehammer,taking meds.
    Its difficult to take a med when you've got anxiety and depression, that has a side effect of anxiety!!
    I guess we have a lot to be thankful for though,its a lot better than it was,although mental health in general is underfunded,and overstretched.
    Yes some good point there. I have never been on meds myself but I am considering it if things don't change. May I ask how long you have had anxiety and if you have ever used medication and how did they effect you???

As aprilmoon said, it's all about DNA and body chemistry. At some point in the not too distant future, it's likely that we could be DNA tested to see which drugs are likely to work best on us for any disease. This would significantly reduce the chances of side effects.

Also, drug manufacturers have to declare side effects as part of the licensing process, and there are really strict rules about what level of side effects are acceptable for a drug to be released for sale. Also, they are required to list all the observed side effects, even the ones that are very rare.

These are chemicals that change your own chemical make up and the way the chemicals react to each other in your body.

Everybody's reaction to these things is different.

A side effect free medication will never happen.

And that's why I choose not to take medication in my fight.

The advent of drugs since the beginning has shown to have side effects. Even aspirin, which was considered a miracle drug, can have side effects.

Psychotropics (SSRIs) are still a fickle thing and as many have said and experienced (including myself), they can have both beneficial and negative side effects. Some can treat themselves or be treated without them and some need the addition of meds. Unfortunately, it's not like prescribing an antibiotic to rid the body of an infection. I was given Zoloft (Sertraline) after my first heart attack as I suffered from some depression. That along with therapy helped get me through that valley. While the drug was effective, I did have side effects (stomach and bowel issues).

There are non psychotropics that can be effective as well. My GP prescribed one called buspirone for me when scan time comes around. I can start taking it a couple of weeks prior to my check ups and it helps take the edge off the stress and worry. I can stop immediately with no ill effects after getting the all clear. Another benefit is that it doesn't have the same physical effect as something like diazapam or other tranquilizing type drug.

IMO, the first step in any battle with an illness, be it physical or mental, is acceptance. Acceptance of the malady itself as well as acceptance that you need help to deal with it. If you had heart problems, would you seek other methods to treat it or diagnosis' that try to explain the symptoms? I would hope not! You would see a cardiologist and get treatment.

In a situation where the illness is of the mind, one should seek an expert in that area. Treatment may include psychotherapy, therapies like CBT and/or medication. Recognizing and accepting you're suffering from a mental illness is really no different than accepting you have a physical illness and seeking treatment. Both can be debilitating and both can have treatments that aren't exactly a walk in the park but both can be treated and you can heal. Again, with physical illness and mental illness, it takes work and discipline. You need to follow doctors orders. With my physical issues, I have many such orders. It's not easy but I do them. If I don't I'll suffer the consequences. The same goes for illnesses of the mind. If your doctor tells you to stop drinking and Googling and you'll start feeling better, you have to do that to start feeling better. It's sound medical advice as well as common sense.

I have damage to my throat from cancer treatment it's difficult for me to swallow. My doctors told me that I have to do swallowing exercises for the rest of my life. They're difficult to do (even for one who doesn't have issues) and it sucks but if I don't do them, I'll eventually lose the ability to swallow and eat. That would mean having a PEG tube put in and getting my nourishment through a tube the rest of my life. Guess which path I'm taking

I think I've made my point. Accept that you have a problem and seek the proper help with it. Find a doctor that you like and have confidence in and work on healing. You can get to a place where the "new normal" is a good place to be. Many here have done it successfully.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Quote Originally Posted by calumcco View Post
    Yes some good point there. I have never been on meds myself but I am considering it if things don't change. May I ask how long you have had anxiety and if you have ever used medication and how did they effect you???

How long have you got?
    I've had anxiety and depression at different times in my life,but my last episode earlier this year was one of my worst,and came after a series of traumatic life events,and a major operation.
    I've used meds off and on and have mainly had very good results with them,I was brought out of a deep depression this time with a combination of meds,and I can honestly say it was like having a light switched on in my brain.
    I'm sorting out the best combo and doses to help with the anxiety I'm still having,which has been severe,but I'll get there.
    There's usually some side effects to deal with,but I find that's a small price to pay.
    I'm on a list for CBT at the moment,and intend to reduce the meds when I feel ready.
    Overall,my experience has been positive,I think they are a useful tool in helping yourself be proactive in your recovery.

Because it's not natural to take medication

Its not natural to have surgery either,but most people wouldn't turn that down.
    Why needlessly suffer?
    You only get one life.

I never meant he shouldn't take them. I meant it's not natural as in years ago they had holistic ways of dealing with these type of conditions. I take medication but even I know it's not natural to take pills as it has more bad side effects than good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information