Thread: Starting CBT

Starting CBT

I know like everything else, CBT has different levels of success from person-to-person, and even though I'm always hopefully of new things, I'm not sure CBT is the right thing for me.

My anxiety has gotten really bad over the years, to the point that I jump out of my skin at loud noises - pretty much destroying my life to the point that I think my nervous system is breaking down.I know I tend to fixate on this kind of thing(like you would do whilst watching a scary movie in anticipation of the jumpy part), and that is what CBT is all about, changing your thought process, but with my body feeling so bad, I fear it is too late to sort out my mind.

So does anyone with experience in a similar situation to myself think this will be of any help to me?

Thanks.

Re: Starting CBT

Hi Chris
    I'm on a waiting list for CBT,but from what I've heard its very helpful to a lot of people.I know mind and body are very closely linked with anxiety so it may help with the jumpiness as well.
    Some meds might help you to use alongside,are you on any?

Hi april.True, the mind and the thoughts you have can have a damaging effect on your body, so with CBT it might help to reduce the thoughts and then help with the adrenaline and shakiness that come from having them.

Yeah, I'm on pregabalin.It helps quite a bit with depression, but I've had no success with my anxiety through it.My newest Doctor was kinda confused as to why I'm taking Pregabalin as it's an anti-inflammatory, and not used for anxiety, but it's the only thing that has helped me a little over the years.

How about yourself, are you hopeful CBT can help you?

Thanks for replying, appreciated.

Hi
    Yes I am.I'm on meds for depression and anxiety, they've been good for the depression, but the anxietys been really bad.
    I even ended up in my local A and E last week with it!
    I'm hoping that the tools they give me will help me to challenge unhelpful things that have held me back from having a full recovery.
    Sometimes the meds you're on can sort of "poop out" on you,and its good to have a fresh talk about where you go next.
    That's what I've recently done,and it might be useful for you too,because I think you need to be able to concentrate on this stuff and absorb it,and that's hard to do if you're too anxious.

Sorry to hear you had to go to A and E, hope you're feeling a bit better now.

That's true, you can get used to your meds and the effect they have on you can wear off after taking them for so long.I might have to say to my doctor about that, thanks.

Yeah, it's difficult to take things in when your anxiety is pretty high, your brain just shuts off from what you're trying to do and starts focusing on the negative thoughts, then you panic.

Hopefully CBT will have a positive effect on us both.

Thanks again.

Thread Information