Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fluoxetine (Prozac) Diary

Fluoxetine (Prozac) Diary

Yesterday I was prescribed 20mg fluoxetine capsules to help with my anxiety, I thought it would benefit myself and others looking in to trying this medication if I keep a daily diary of my progress.
    The main reason for doing so is because I have read many horror stories online about the side effects of fluoxetine, especially in the first couple of weeks. These side effects have made me very hesitant to start the medication, however today I have finally took the first step and taken my first capsule (eek!)

Day 1
    Despite waking up in a really good mood, my anxiety is very high today as I have work this evening. I work one shift a week as bar staff, which means I have to talk to so many new people. Although it's a great job, it does send my anxiety through the roof! Anyways, I took my first tablet at around 8:30am (I'm still alive, yay!) I'm going to do some shopping and then get myself ready for work. I will update you all tomorrow

Re: Fluoxetine (Prozac) Diary

Thank you for sharing and all the best to you. I will be looking out for your daily diary to see how you are doing.

I myself am on Fluoxetine at 20 mg once a day, am doing great on this and have been on it for 3 weeks now. The first day I had drowsiness and a week bit of nausea but both were tolerable. No more nausea after the first day of taking it and I switched from taking the capsule in the morning to taking it at bedtime.

Previous to this the doctor tried me on Citalopram (Celexa) at 10 mg and wow - I was so nauseous, my body was jittering and shaking, my head was spinning. After two days, I said to the doctor I was not taking it anymore. It was awful.

It goes to show you that everyone's body reacts differently to the different meds.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Quote Originally Posted by idawmn View Post
    Thank you for sharing and all the best to you. I will be looking out for your daily diary to see how you are doing.

I myself am on Fluoxetine at 20 mg once a day, am doing great on this and have been on it for 3 weeks now. The first day I had drowsiness and a week bit of nausea but both were tolerable. No more nausea after the first day of taking it and I switched from taking the capsule in the morning to taking it at bedtime.

Previous to this the doctor tried me on Citalopram (Celexa) at 10 mg and wow - I was so nauseous, my body was jittering and shaking, my head was spinning. After two days, I said to the doctor I was not taking it anymore. It was awful.

It goes to show you that everyone's body reacts differently to the different meds.
    So glad to hear the Fluoxetine worked great for you! The side effects do sound awful from what I've read online, but as everyone keeps saying, if I stick with it, it'll be worthwhile

---------- Post added at 11:44 ---------- Previous post was at 11:40 ----------

Day 2
    Managed to get to sleep fine last night, didn't feel any effects of the Fluoxetine all day. I woke up today at around 9:30 and took my capsule straight away. My anxiety is still very high, but no higher than it usually is. The only difference I noticed today whilst walking to the supermarket is that my eyes feel super sensitive towards light! It feels like there's a mild pressure on both of my eyelids and slightly blurred vision.

Day 3
    Woke up around 8:30 (which is extremely early for me) and took my capsule around 9. I felt completely wide awake the second my eyes opened, as I'm usually not a morning person this came as quite a shock! My eyes still feel really sensitive towards light and when I walk around I feel a bit dizzy and nauseous. Nothing too extreme, just a bit wobbly! My anxiety is still quite high as it normally is, but overall I don't feel too bad

Day 4
    Once again I woke up very early and took my capsule around 9am.The dizziness and nausea I experienced yesterday has definitely increased, my body feels floaty and my vision is slightly blurred. Again though, none of these effects are too extreme to prevent me from going about my day to day life, they're just a bit bizarre to adjust to!
    I'm meeting a friend down the pub today and will probably have a couple glasses of wine, I've heard mixed reviews about taking Fluoxetine with alcohol so it's probably a bad idea trying this but I want to experience it for myself (famous last words)
    In myself, I actually feel quite calm and happy today. However, I'm not sure if this is because of the tablets, or whether I'm just having a good day. Either way, smiles all round

Day 5
    Drinking probably wasn't a great idea yesterday. It was kind of like drinking when you're on really strong painkillers, you get really drunk really quickly, and not in a good way. It made me so anxious and I just couldn't relax and have a good time. Ah well, lesson learned!
    Today I feel quite drowsy (however that could be down to the alcohol) but my dizziness, nausea and sensitivity to light that I've mentioned in previous posts is getting much more intense! I've found myself having to stand up very slowly to avoid a nasty head-rush.

Yeah Adsterr, I used to love a beer or glass of wine now and then, but now it definitely interferes with the prozac. Or visa versa.
    I've come to realize that I'll feel crappy the next day if I do have a drink while on this stuff, so I try to abstain as much as possible. But I do like the taste of a beer now and then, so it hasn't been easy to give it up.
    Little by little you realize what works and what doesn't. Just keep listening to your body. xx

Quote Originally Posted by TweetyBird2 View Post
    Yeah Adsterr, I used to love a beer or glass of wine now and then, but now it definitely interferes with the prozac. Or visa versa.
    I've come to realize that I'll feel crappy the next day if I do have a drink while on this stuff, so I try to abstain as much as possible. But I do like the taste of a beer now and then, so it hasn't been easy to give it up.
    Little by little you realize what works and what doesn't. Just keep listening to your body. xx
    Absolutely, I'm still yet to learn what does and doesn't work.
    As I'm a student, it's pretty difficult to avoid situations where drinking isn't involved. However, if I want these tablets to work then I've really got to start cutting down!

Day 6
    It's hard to describe how I'm feeling today.
    The dizziness and nausea isn't as intense as it was on previous days, however I don't feel 'right'.
    Before I was prescribed Fluoxetine, I had to be around people all the time because if I was alone, I'd overthink, panic and become my own worst enemy. Now though, It's like all I want is to be on my own as I'm finding myself very self conscious around people. I'm meant to be meeting up with a friend tonight and in all honesty I've got no motivation for it and the thought of leaving the flat is making me very anxious. I just want to stay in bed and watch Netflix all day...very out of character for me!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information