Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Agoraphobia success stories please

Agoraphobia success stories please

Can anyone who has overcome agoraphobia tell me their story?
    I know what I need to do (although your tips are welcome), I would just love to hear from anyone who overcame it.

Nel xxx

I'd like to know too!!

Hi Nel

I will tell you a little bit about my agoraphobia. Nearly 10 yrs ago I had a nervous breakdown which left me agoraphobic to the extent I couldnt leave my bedroom. I had to be taken to the toilet and lived in what i can only was sheer hell. I lived in my room like that for about 3 years! I was then hospitalised and put on a recovery programme and discharged to see a psychiatric nurse who i saw weekly. We worked on small achievements. My first task was to brush my own hair - i know it seems minimal but I could no longer do any of that. I was badly self harming and drugged up on loads of meds. I worked through a daily task sheet - and gradually I built it up. Each step was taken gradually and yes there were loads of set backs. I would try and get to the top of the stairs and everntully I got downstairs. This took months but i am a fighter and I knew I would do it. The first time I stepped outside was to put something in my outside bucket and i cried with relief, I felt I had climbed Everest but had no one to share this success with at the time. That is what made me determined - I had to do it myself. Each day i would do the same step again then increase it slowly. It wasnt easy and still isnt but with courage and determination you will get there. When you go to do something, whether its leaving your bed or room or house - keep telling yourself you will be fine - never add to the fear by adding the what ifs. Praise yourself for each step - and ACCEPT the setbacks.
    I now live on my own and my teenager lives with me on a part time basis, I am back driving, can go out for meals, managed a college night class, do some voluntary work, go to cinema and in May went to Spain - these were all in my dreams but I did it. There is not a day goes by that I can say I am anxiety free but Ive learned to accept it and it doesnt frighten me anymore. A panic attack will be the same whether you are sitting at home or sitting in a park outside. You cannot run away from your body but you can acknowledge the sensations and let them pass.

I do hope this has given you some hope. I dont believe anyone is totally recovered after a breakdown but you learn to cope with it.
    Set yourself one little task - and keep practising it until you are doing it automatically without even thinking before moving on to the next stage.

TAke care

Darkangel x

Take care and

........life is for living not just for surviving

That's great darkangel! Thanks for that.
    I can manage out with my dogs at the minute, and until 4 weeks ago I was doing brilliant, going out driving and going into shops etc. I had a setback and let it get to me too much (bad experience on meds).
    It's great to hear you go to the cinema - that is the one thing I am desperate to do!

Nel xxx

Inspirational...
    WELL DONE

((((darkangel)))) Whenever I read your posts I find you inspirational hun!!!!

I am battling my own agroraphobia which I have had episodes of over the last 6 years. This last year being the worst. I started by just spending 5 mins in the front garden (cleaning the windows slowly for something to do) and extended it from there. I also went for evening walks with one of my kids cos I do quite well in the dark!!

When we put the clocks back I started going to the local Marks & Spencer food hall in the dark with one of the kids and from doing this regularly over a period of weeks managed last week to go Xmas shopping for an hour. I went in four or five shops and didn't feel too bad at all.

I will continue to try and build on this but not putting myself under pressure - it will take as long as it takes!!

It doesn't matter what the starting point is and any progress is achievement.

Darkangel is so so so right when she says that a panic attack is the same thing at home as it is if you were sat on a park bench. I know I can cope with a panic attack at home and I don't usually bother remembering those ones. For some reason it seems a much bigger deal if it happens outside for me. I am going to hold on to what Darkangel says though as its those sort of profound statements that make a difference to me. Meg also once said not to see the people around me as judging me but more there to help me if I did have a panic and that helped too.

Love Piglet xx

"Supposing a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?" said Piglet.
    "Supposing it didn't," said Pooh after careful thought.

The Channel 4 programme HOUSE OF AGROPHOBICS is on Tuesday at 10 o clock, should be very interesting.

Hi
    It probably sounds a bit weird but Piglet's saying on the end of her posts was the starting point for me. I sort of had to reprogramme my brain to think positively rather than about the bad things that could happen. I think my agrophobia was linked to my mum being terminally ill for a long time and i was always wating for her to die so constantly thinking of negative things happening and that spilled over into all the other area of my life. I like most people did things in small steps. I bought a book full of positive quotes and read it every day just to try and fill my head with positive thoughts and it really seemed to work. I also removed myself from negative influences in my life like changing jobs from a workplace where everyone was always negative and moaning and moving to a place I felt safer at night. There are still things I can't do like go on a tube train and I'm aware that in some ways it is still controlling me but I don't let it limit my life so much anymore by focusing on all the good things that would happen if I went out, got on that train or plane or whatever. It doesn't mean I'm not scared anymore just that I'm generally too busy thinking about the positive to focus on the negative.

Hope that helps

Pennie

"If you wait until you become perfect before you love yourself, you'll waste your whole life. You're already perfect right here and right now." Louise L Hay

Nel

Are you going to watch the channel 4 programme this week? I saw the trailer and it upset me a bit.

I think I'm going to record it and then watch it in my own space and time, when I feel able.

Sandie

Darkangel

Your story is amazing - incredible. Its like climbing Mount Everest blindfold. Absolutely amazing.

Sandie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information