Thread: Step father's offer of help

Step father's offer of help

Hi everyone,

I haven't seen my step dad (the only human being who remotely cares and keeps in touch) in ages because I've been so depressed I knew I'd say something very morbid and upset him but he turned up today and I explained my situation of getting worse and probably not being able to see a psych and he offered to pay for me to see a psych privately. I'm obvioulsy very grateful for his offer of help but unsure what to do as I hate taking charity and am a grown woman and should be able to fend for myself. However I'm on benefits, can't afford private healthcare and get suicidal so it's basically a life or death situation when you think about it. Just wondered what you thought. Private psychs cost about £30-£50 a time and he's paid almost that a week on food for me when I had my benefits taken off me. And I only accepted that offer of help as I would have starvd without it! I also sometimes wonder if I say yes and something goes wrong (like my mum twists him onto her side again as she's done before) he could use this against me.

PP x

hi pp
    i would say that you must do whatever you think is best!!!!at the end of the day if you are having suicidal thoughts then i would take his offer,but only you can decide whats best
    if you do decide to go ahead i wish you the very,very best of luck.
    take care
    ceecee x

Polly, he wouldn't offer if he didn't love you. Give him a big hug, tell him thank you, and go.

Good luck!!

Hi,

I bet it is nice to know somebody cares for you in this way and must understand what your going through.

Over the years I have suffered with Anxiety, my farther must of spend a few grand on getting me checkedout privatly to help calm me down (mri, ct scans etc).

Red

Thanks guys...I think I'm going to have to take him up on his offer actually as the chances of getting pyschiatric help on the NHS is very slim.

Have a bit of a dilemma now. My step father's behaviour was very odd today and combines with his odd ways over the last couple of years I am strating to wonder if he is senile. Wouldn't want to take advantage of someone like that!

You've already identified him as someone who cares so I'm sure it's not the senility talking. Take the help, he wouldn't offer if he didn't understand.

Jo

Polly,

I was going to ask you how many sessions he was prepared to pay for. You need to ascertain how long a course you would need. How would you feel if your sessions came to a premature end?

Cheers

Ray

http://www.anxietyrelease.org.uk/

And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance, I hope you dance.
    ~Mark Sanders and Tia Sillers

Thread Information