Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Occupational Health

Occupational Health

A few questions if any one has any ideas the best way to go on this.

After been of sick from work you automatically get referred to the Occupational Health team, so i have my appointment on Monday. Feel it is a bit of a waste of time as have been back at work three months.

There aims as far as i can see if to access my capability of doing the job, likely re-occuring sickness etc.

So i am not really sure which tact to take with them. Do i say i had a blip and went of, blames the situation why i went of or what.

Basically i need to put the best picture i can across as they report back to work, then obviously this goes on my record, so i dont want it to come back negative because then obviously they will be looking into my employment status.

Plus the personnel department have just issued 30 letters to people giving them a sick warning, me included which has really got to me.

Working for the prison service if you are assaulted, involved in a disturbing incident, this should not be included on your sick record. Well the have included my sickness 2 years ago when i was head butted, where i had 3 weeks of and also when i found someone on fire, where i was of for 2 weeks.

So bearing in mind this letter has just come out and this appointment i am get really anxious over how to handle it.

This time i went of sick was after a colleague had read one of my emails and printed it out. My fault for leaving my desktop unlocked but she had gone into my sent items and got this email. The email basically said she was getting on my nerves and that the overtime was not been done fairly. We do the overtime from our office when my colleague died a few months back a new guy came in and he has his favourites for overtime including him self.

Any how myself and another 30 officers got charged with improper use of the email system. I got a call telling me i was been charged when on leave, then told i was to go back to the female centre as was getting booted out of office and she was staying even though she was temporary in there and i was permanent. So after my leave reported for duty on FC to be told was to go back to the office. So for the next few weeks had to work with her and kept asking when we would be interviewed and no one could give me any answers. They kept changing the governor who was doing the investigation and none of us knew what was happening.

The girl in question then moved out of the office as her medical reasons no longer required her to work prisoner free. Nothing happened to her where everyone i spoke to said she should be charged for going into someones private mail.

Well this went on and on and no further forward, no one had any answers. No one asked how we were coping whilst waiting for the investigation. So after 2 months of not knowing it got too much and i went of sick.

So to cut a long story short do i use this as my reasons to the Occupational Health. My sick note stated work related stress and my doctor wrote a report to them saying how i had been treated and that she advised me not to return to work until it was resolved, which it still isnt.

My head is all over the place working out what to say, as this is my career and i cant afford to lose my job, as i have no other support financially.

Even the governor who eventually did the investigation interviews laughed when i went in the room and said it was a complete waste of time and couldnt believe he has been asked to investigate such petty material.

Well my appointment is at 2 pm tomorrow so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Love Sal xx

Sal

Will reply asap. I am just talking online to Sharon who was going to come yesterday so I can't concentrate on this but will reply soon ok?

xx

Nicola

Sal

I would take the approach of the stress caused the time off. The sick note said that and the doc will back it up.

You shouldn't have to or need to go into all the petty stuff about the email etc and I agree that it seems like a waste of time to take it any further. If they insist on pushing that then just explain it like you have here and that this woman read an email about her but you stand by the overtime being unfair.

It is a stressful job you have anyway without them dragging you along to a meeting to justify why you felt stressed etc.

Explain that you have been back at work 3 months now and are doing well considering.

I hope it goes ok Sal - let us know ok?

Not sure I have helped much but I would just tell the truth and then it won't come back and haunt you. You were stressed so that is why you were off sick.

xxx

Nicola

Hi Sal,

I would also keep as close to the truth as possible.

Only when this is all over and done with, I would be inclined to persue why the other incidents are on your record and get them removed.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
    If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
    Robert Albert Bloch

Hi Nic and Meg

Thanks for the advice. Getting well chewed over it now. Just cant see the point as occupational health should be involved before you return to work to help you get back to full time hours. Prison service always does it wrong way round.

I am going to tell her/him all about the email incident as i have spoken the colleague who i emailed and he was charged to as he replied in agreement. He said explain how for 10 weeks they left us hanging and obviously with the underlying nature of your illness it was too much for me to cope with.

He reckons that if it wasnt for the charges and how they treated us i wouldnt have gone of sick. He is a union member and a good friend. He offered to come with me tomorrow but would prefer to go myself. He was saying about the letter many of us got about the sick as well, could be persued under the bullying terms the prison service has. But i will just let that go, cant be bothered with more chew.

So i will be honest and tell it how it is. The stress caused by the situation pushed me right back over. Just dont want them to think i am not capable of doing my job as then i am in deep water.

Thanks for listening

Love Sal xxxxx

Sal,

Oh mate, sounds like this is really eating you up as tomorrow draws nearer. Not sure I want to comment on the specific's as dont want to say the wrong thing.

However you seem like a very capable intelligent person and I'm sure once the interview starts you will instinctively know the best stance to take. (Although it probably wouldn't hurt to think up a few good 'one liners' tonight, just incase )

It is best to stick to the truth but remember that even if you are spinning out in your head, try to portray confidence. The fact that you have been back at work for 3mths is also a good indication that you are back on track.

Good luck hun
    Caroline
    x

Hi Caroline

thanks for your reply. Yeah i will try to look chilled although may not feel it.

Dont worry about saying anything on post in case you say the wrong thing, none of us are professionals we just try to help each other.

I will let you know how it goes.

Love Sal xxxxx

Definately losing it now with anxiety.

Just printed out the directions of how to get there, and dont recognise any routes it has offered me, so that is adding to my worry.

Wish i had taken Dave up on offer. Might talk to my friend at work who is an early shift and see if she can come. She has been a great support, even where she picked me up and took me to work when i couldnt face it.

Loads of conversations going through my head as what to say, what will they ask. Are they trying to trick me into saying things.

Getting a bit paranoid about it now, as you can see.

Love Sal xxxxx

Sal,

Dont think you'll be back yet but waiting with baited breath to hear how you got on.

Fingers crossed for you babe.

Caroline
    x

Sal

Any news yet?

Nicola

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information