Thread: Psychological symptoms fading or gone, physical symptoms sticking around???

Psychological symptoms fading or gone, physical symptoms sticking around???

Hey all,

I'm new posting to the forum, but I've looked around on it for several months now to help me through a tough time. So thank you all!

I started with my first panic attack in March of this year, and I've had about...three or four total since, with my last about two weeks ago. After a couple of trips to the ER, and a handful of tests later, I've gotten a MUCH better grip on things and understand now that what's happening truly is just anxiety. The last month or so has been exponentially better--even the most recent panic attack was handled and over much quicker and with less fear than any previously.

I've stopped smoking, started exercising, have mostly eliminated caffeine from my diet, am eating better, and am getting ready to start yoga and therapy. This experience has absolutely taught me the importance of life balance, self-awareness and taking care of myself mentally and physically!!!

However, while I'm not plagued by the health anxiety and psychological fear and panic anymore, it seems like all the physical stuff is sticking around. My symptoms change every week, from tingling and restless limbs to throat and swallowing issues to chest and joint pain, and most recently, to tingling in my head and headaches--probably the most annoying and most debilitating of all of them. And 800mg of ibuprofen doesn't seem to do much for them, either, which is quite frustrating.

My question for you all is this: Has anyone else experienced a situation where it feels like you've got the anxiety under control mentally, and yet your body still responds as though you don't? Does it just take a while for it to play catch up physiologically or what? It's getting pretty old, and I'm ready to say goodbye to all of it. For those of you who have been dealing with it for years, my heart goes out to you--you are so incredibly strong! This has been one of the most difficult things I've had to endure, and has taught me so much.

Thank you in advance for any help with this!

Re: Psychological symptoms fading or gone, physical symptoms sticking around???

Hi
    Are you on any meds?
    If so,could some of it be side effects?

Yes! I've been dealing with anxiety and panic attacks for years and although i'm so much better at recognising anxiety and just letting it wash over me etc the physical stuff remains. Its like my body tries to find new ways to freak me out. It was tummy trouble, then headaches current its dizziness all the time. I think if I didn't have these symptoms I would improve exponentially! I don't know how to tackle it but just wanted to say I feel the same!
    anna x

I get pains 24/7. Been that way over 4 years. I've accepted it's totally anxiety for over a year. Tried reducing stress and fear as much as possible and it hasn't put off the aches and pains from hitting me every minute of every day.

Tried SSRI's and Remeron which is in a different class of anxiety medication. Nothing has helped. Tempted to ask my Dr for a muscle relaxant that's non-addictive as the pain is unbearable at some points.

YOu can't fight or fear the symptoms. let them be - acknowledge them and go about your day. That's what CBT taught me and people who've got their anxiety under control. I guess we're just bad at handling and processing stress. Soi even though we feel like anxiety is under control - there's still something ticking in the background. Not entirely sure how to deal with that. My GP's aren't much help other than pushing anxiety meds one me.

It's very tough I know. Wish I had some more helpful advice for coping.

Ed

Thread Information