Thread: so scared i've got stomach cancer

so scared i've got stomach cancer

I've been having persistent mild hearburn for over 2 weeks now. The dr gave me 10mg of omeprozole to take which helped a bit but didn't get rid of it completely, I phoned them up and they have increased it to 20mg for 2 weeks.

I had an episode months ago and a course of 2weeks cleared it up until now.

I've just heard that an old colleague has passed away from stomach cancer and I stupidly googled symptons...why oh why
    Persistent heartburn is one of the symptoms and I'm terrified this is what I have. Cancer is my only health trigger btw.

I feel sick and I'm really panicking...I suppose the anxiety will only make the heartburn worse as well.

Any advice please. I'm in a bit of a state now

Re: so scared i've got stomach cancer

Hey,

I've suffered from heartburn for many years, daily .. flamethrower style heartburn! tied lots of things but I was given Lansoprazole (similar drug to Omeprazole, just molecular difference). Anyway, that seems to have helped me now for 4 years, daily at 20mg.

I was referred to a gastro doc in the GI clinic and had biopsies and endoscopy carried out which were all clear. My grandad died of stomach cancer and I watched him die from it so you can imagine how it affected me, seeing it first hand. I was terrified but even though you have daily heartbburn doesnt mean cancer!

And yes, stress and worry make it worse for me too, even with the meds.

How old are you?

Hi
    Thanks for your reply, I'm 44 female. I've suffered with health anxiety for 4 yrs. I slowly weaned myself of citalopram but every now and then I do something stupid and it explodes.

Quote Originally Posted by mags1501 View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for your reply, I'm 44 female. I've suffered with health anxiety for 4 yrs. I slowly weaned myself of citalopram but every now and then I do something stupid and it explodes.

Now are you re-assured?

You statistically have a 0.044% (approx) of having stomach cancer in your age group.

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/canc...incidence/#age

Yes thank you so much. I suppose spag bog for dinner + news that triggers my anxiety = more heartburn even though I'm taking meds for it.

Can I just ask do you eat little and often? I find when I'm hungry my acid seems to act up and after dinner too.

I've read a few posts on here too and it seems heartburn and acid is a common anxiety symptom

Quote Originally Posted by mags1501 View Post
    Yes thank you so much. I suppose spag bog for dinner + news that triggers my anxiety = more heartburn even though I'm taking meds for it.

Can I just ask do you eat little and often? I find when I'm hungry my acid seems to act up and after dinner too.

I've read a few posts on here too and it seems heartburn and acid is a common anxiety symptom
    I hope you seen the link too? And, no problem.

I can get away with eating what I want really, that doesnt seem to affect me but it changes, sometimes I get really bad days or weeks and then others it seems fine. Stress is the one factor I can link it to. when I'm happy and enjoying myself, I dont think about it, ever. but when im sitting in the house all day and lazing about, i have time to think and then I start to try and Google myself into cancer of some kind, one week its stomach cancer, the next its a brain tumor!

My advice is to get out as often as you can, or if not, get a hobby and stick to it, music, reading ect. If the mind is distracted then all is well

John

You may GERD which can be caused by anxiety

Thread Information