Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Time Colonoscopy

First Time Colonoscopy

Hi Everyone,

Despite my anxiety about the risks, I asked my doctor for a colonoscopy because of roving pain throughout my upper and lower abdomen.

Both my grandfathers had colon cancer. One didn't catch it in time, but the other one beat it and this summer we're celebrating his 90th birthday.

Anyway, I'm in prep mode today... Just about to start the fun part!

One of my main worries is the risk associated with the procedure. One in 4,000 people end up with a tear that needs emergency surgery to correct. So that's on my mind...

My other main worry, of course, is what they might find. My only consolation is that I chose this, rather than doctors choosing it for me. So I'm hanging on to that to calm my nerves...

Got any advice to help steady my nerves? I'd really appreciate it!

---------- Post added at 17:36 ---------- Previous post was at 17:08 ----------

I'm fortunate to have my husband home to help look after our 2-year-old son! I'm also fortunate to have my Mom and brother close by for reassurance.

Still, Mom's the only one of us who's had a colonoscopy, and her experience wasn't the greatest. While her results were clear, they discovered she had a longer colon than usual. By 5 feet!! My poor, sweet Mom!

Her experience was painful enough that she hasn't had another colonoscopy in years, and it took a lot of convincing to get her to make her long-overdue appointment.

I do have memories of Dad having it done, and his results were clear too. I can't talk with him about it, though, as he's got advanced dementia now.

Funny how when even one parent is gone, it makes me long to fill that gap with others who can offer reassurance/guidance.

---------- Post added at 17:40 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Dulcolax and CoLyte are the two substances I need to take.

I just began the CoLyte--240mL every 10 minutes until I've polished off 2 litres.

Is it normal to experience headache with strong laxatives?
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

Re: First Time Colonoscopy

Hi
    I had this procedure done last year and it wasn't so bad.
    I wasn't sedated either.
    The only advice I can give ,is don't be too put off by other peoples experiences because everyone is different.
    Beat wishes

Thanks for the advice, aprilmoon!

I don't want to be sedated either... there's something about the idea of being conscious that offers a small sense of being in control, whether real or imagined. lol

---------- Post added at 17:48 ---------- Previous post was at 17:47 ----------

Oh, quick question: Do doctors always take biopsies during a colonoscopy? I mean, is it a standard part of the procedure? Or do they only take biopsies when they're unsure about something they see?
    I encourage anyone who's struggling with their doctor to take your health into your own hands. You can always start by checking reviews at www.RateMDs.com. And don't forget to leave a positive review for the doctors you appreciate! FYI: Here are some tips on writing an online review of your doctors: http://abt.cm/1lZUdaF

I had a nurse sit by me and hold my hand,which helped,hopefully they will do the same with you.
    I don't recall that it took that long either.
    Afterwards,I had a lie down for a bit,and the worst part then is that you're full of wind!
    Hopefully you'll have your own room,or space
    I think the worst part of it all was the prep!
    It will all be done soon anyway,and its definitely worth it.

I just had one on Monday

I had no sedation and just used entonox.

Yes they take biopsies as standard - I had 10 done and 4 polyps removed

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

As far as I know I didn't have any biopsys done.

Ok perhaps I should add that I have Crohn's disease so perhaps it is standard practice to take biopsies from me

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I read about your procedure, Nicola. Are you feeling better today?

Re: Biopsies, I'm just thinking this through for the first time, unfortunately, so I'm a bit nervous. If a person's colon appears normal, I wonder about the drawbacks of performing a biopsy on a healthy colon wall?

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:37 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nomorepanic View Post
    Ok perhaps I should add that I have Crohn's disease so perhaps it is standard practice to take biopsies from me
    Oh, that makes sense.

I've had this procedure twice now. First time no sedation. Second time a tiny bit. No pain what so ever just bloated from the air they push in . you are gonna be fine. I have health anxiety and after I laughed at how easy it all was x

My GP referred me to get one. It'll be my first. Joy eh? I soooo looking forward to it ~lol~ Ohhh and the stuff you have to drink the day before to clean you out? Mmmmm....All I know is I'm glad the powder room is about 6 feet from my chair

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information