Thread: Cbt not for me yet?

Cbt not for me yet?

Good morning all,

I don't post on here too often, but love reading all your posts, successes and trials. I am currently going through a bit of a rough patch with my GAD and associated depression. I was referred a few weeks ago for CBT. Had my initial assessment session a fortnight ago in which she asked all about history and where my anxiety came from (in my opinion etc), and how my family/work life is at the moment. Then things got interesting when she asked about my current phobias and anxieties. I couldn't stop crying and got deeper and deeper into my anxiety cycle and panic. I calmed down enough to finish the session and agreed to meet back in a fortnight. I was asked to write a diary of unhelpful thoughts and feeling during my fortnight and record panic and anxiety highs during that time. The two days after my first appointment were difficult as I feel the session opened up a whole can of worms that I had been trying to surprises for so long. Anyway, I went back yesterday for my first proper session and she asked to read my diary. After reading it she asked me how I had been and I broke down again. I couldn't stop crying. After only twenty min she suggested that perhaps intensive CBT wasn't for me right now and I needed a softer therapy and one based at home where someone comes in twice a week. Has anyone else been told / suggested that CBT isn't for them? I want to get better and don't want to turn down and help. No one would choose to live like this. Don't know what to do next.

Sorry for the long post, just had to get all this out there (wherever out there is!! Lol!)

Hope you are all doing well on your journey.

Pam

P.s all this time we have yet to find any medication that I can take without making me completely lose the plot and not want to live etc. I had tried numerous ssri's etc but none seem to be for me. So any other suggestion would be most welcome. I've just started with a personal trainer and joined a gym to try and give me a boost.
    Last edited by PamG; 20-06-14 at 09:38. Reason: Forgot a bit

Re: Cbt not for me yet?

Anyone have any advice? Or what treatment I might be offered?

Pam

Thread Information