Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reassurance please!! todayi have my phone assessment for my CBT therapy assessment

reassurance please!! todayi have my phone assessment for my CBT therapy assessment

Hi Has anyone had a phone assessment before starting CBT i am so worried about opening up and then being left thinking and worrying as i have been trying to push all the padt behind me ....
    They are calling at 1.30pm today :(
    I know it leaving it a little late, any advice would be really appreciated
    Thanks Jenny

Re: reassurance please!! todayi have my phone assessment for my CBT therapy assessme

It won't be anything too serious today - just go with the flow so to speak

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Re: reassurance please!! todayi have my phone assessment for my CBT therapy assessme

They may ask you questions and for you to rate your answer, for example 'Do you have trouble concentrating?' one could mean an affirmative yes whilst 5 means not at all, or you answer between strongly agree to strongly disagree. When I had my assessment they asked me questions from the PHQ-9 questionnaire, which is something you'd be familiar with. They may ask you to expand on your answers, so if you said that you struggle to cope with normal day-to-day activities they may ask you why that is so.

They may ask you what is most troublesome to you, i.e. if you're suffering from reoccurring panic attacks, fear of certain anxiety symptoms etc. It is worth telling them as much as you can as it will help them to tailor help specifically for you.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Thank you so much for your replies.
    Rennie: you were spot on with your answer which really helped me..thank you!!
    After the call she asked me what sort of counselling I would prefer CBT focusing on the futre and strategies or counselling discussing the past. and how it makes me feel.
    The lady on he phone said she thought I would benefit from counselling after I mentioned something my dad had done (him being very controlling).
    I said I had had counselling before and what is the point in me bringing up the past hurt and I don't really want to be reminded of it all over again!!
    So, I asked for CBT which should start next week, as I thought CBT is about stratergies for coping despite your past.
    Any feedback or ideas would be great, as I am not sure what would really help the most.
    Thank you Jenny

Discussing the past with a counsellor will, at the beginning, open up old scars and feel sore but counselling is therapeutic and will help to, in a way, put the past to rest. Counsellors are naturally empathetic people so you should never worry about them judging you, because they won't. They'll want to hear exactly what you want to tell them and to let you open up in an empathetic, non-judgmental and safe environment.

CBT focuses on your thinking and behaviour. Say if you have anxiety and are particularly fearful of certain symptoms they'll get you to experience that symptom in a controlled environment and help you to control it, or even accept it's safe. This is great for people who suffer from hyperventilation and get anxious over dizziness. On the other hand if your anxiety is down to your thought process (self doubting, over thinking etc) they'll get you to challenge this and to alter the thinking process to become more rational. CBT is very much homework based, they'll ask you to keep a journal and to try out particular techniques in a real life situation.

I swear by both methods (as somebody who is doing a counselling course, I would!) and you'll feel the benefit from which ever you chose. If you're still unsure then read up on counselling and CBT and see which you prefer, or call them up and ask if you could do one or the other first and try the other second.

I wish you all the best!

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Rennie: thank you for your very helpful reply, think I will try counselling xx

Way to go Jenny! Congratulations on getting through this, and good luck! Well done
    Marie xx

So interested to read all your comments as I have a phone assessment on Friday, also feeling slightly apprehensive as to what will happen next. I am more prepared now, thank you.

I'm waiting for my appt to come up.
    I had my assessment a few weeks ago. Just to say best wishes to those either waiting, or in the process of having CBT

Just had my phone assessment today, booked in for CBT workshop (6 sessions). Hope they will be helpful in breaking the anxiety cycle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information