Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hypnotherapy

Hypnotherapy

Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone had tried hypnotherapy for anxiety and panic attacks?

If so, did it work and how many sessions would you need to have?

many thanks - Liz xx

hi lizzie,

i had hypnotherapy a few years ago. It wasnt for panic attacks, but i was very down at the time and was feeling very uneasy with people, like everyone was staring at me and judging me or something, so i guess at the time i didnt really know it was anxiety, but it was, if that makes sense!

We went through all the stuff that was bothering me, and did some sessions to boost my self esteem, and others to focus more on specific worries (like blushing etc). Anyway, it was a really great experience. It was so relaxing, i felt absolutely great for a couple of days after each session. I had about 6 sessions and they cost me about £50 each so it definitely wasnt cheap, but it was money well spent. I did feel a lot better after i had the sessions, and its quite hard to describe but i really just felt more comfortable and happier with myself.

I dont know if it is much help for panic attacks, because i dont suffer from them. I would be interested in trying it again for health anxiety which is my major problem (again, i didnt really realise this at the time), but somehow i havent really plucked up the courage to do this (maybe because i find just thinking about it so difficult?)

Anyway, i hope that helps, feel free to pm me if you want to ask anything about the sessions.

mag

Hi,

I started my first session of a course of Analytical Hypnotherapy last Wednesday, Im doing it to try and help my Health Anxiety.

Its a bit too early to comment but if your interested i will post how its going after a couple of weeks?

Stu

Hi Stu

I'd love to hear how your course is going. My GP has referred me for CBT but of course there is a waiting list and I can't afford to go privately. I really think that some of my issues are so deep rooted they would benefit from hypnotherapy - and I'd be prepared to wait for an NHS appointment if I could find one locally.

I am making enquiries, but their is still so much cynicism around the topic, and how do you know if you've found a good therapist. I'd love to hear people's thoughts and feedback on sessions they've had.

Sandie

Hi,

Once ive done a few weeks of my therapy, I will happily post back here to let you know how its going.

Stu

Hi there Stu

I would love to hear how your hypnotherapy goes.

I just wondered what symptoms do you get in health anxiety?

Laters

Liz

PS Had a ECG yesterday and everything is fine.

Hi Liz,

Glad to hear your ECG is ok, thats great news

My symptoms...

Skipped heartbeats, daily :( Thats my bugbear [Sigh...]
    Tingling in arms, hands, legs, feet, nose & teeth
    Fluttery feeling in throat
    Feeling spaced out
    Panic Attacks, feelings of doom
    Hyperventilation
    Acid stomach and GERD
    Very ocasional depression brought on by bad periods of anxiety

I think thats about it, I get some occasionally, and some all the time. It stems from my childhood, I know that. Thats why im following some therapy routes to try and help.

Stu

Hi Stu

Actually I get many of the same symptoms.

My new one is pins and needles in arms and lower legs, so I think Im having a stroke. The worst one is everynight I try to go to sleep, my heart goes thud and I feel as if I will pass out. It takes me a good couple of hours to get to sleep each night.

I dont know where my attacks stem from. They just came on after taking a course of medication (Clomid). The GP has booked me in urgently to see a Physciatrist (sorry dont know how to spell it!!) but I dont really see how it will help as the problems only started after taking the meds!!

Merry Christmas!!

Liz xx

Lizzie - see if this helps...

Numbness or tingling in hands and feet

What you feel:

You feel pins and needles in your hands and feet, or other parts of your body. Sometimes you get a feeling like a particular area of your body is numb or frozen. Other times you may feel a burning sensation in your arms, legs or face.

What causes this:

Since the nervous system conveys touch sensations to the brain, when the nervous system is over stimulated, it can sometimes send impaired information which will often be felt as a numbness, tingling or pins and needles. For example, when an individual pinches a nerve they usually feel the results of this as numbness or tingling in a certain part of the body.

Because the entire skin area of the body is touch sensitive (nerves cells connected to the brain through the nervous system network), any part of the skin or body can feel numb, tingly or as pins and needles.

Typically this sensation comes and goes, and will affect a wide range of body areas off and on. It’s nothing to be concerned with and will subside once the nervous system gets sufficient rest.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
    People will forget what you did
    But people will never forget how you made them feel

Hi there, just to pick up on hypnotherapy etc, yes there is every possibility that you will find it useful.

There are 2 distinct flavours, clinical which is no more than script reading - useful but only if your problem fits the script and analytical where you will be able to drill down into your unconscious mind to identify the reasons behind your symptoms.

I would also suggest that whilst we all 'think' we know what's going on in our heads and therefore analyse and track all the symptoms we have, that doesn't really help one bit.

It's really when the underlying reasons that have set your u/c mind up to in the here and now develop your symptoms that permanent change can occur.

There are other effective approaches that are time structured similar to analytical hypnotherapy also.

Sorry but I can't suggest a way round the fee issue - as professionals ( or hopefully they are ) they will all charge what they feel is fair based upon the quality of service they give.

I'd not hold out too much hope of NHS help, all the overspends everywhere has a way of stopping patients getting the help they need.

Happy to discuss further if you wish

Rgards

Brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information