Thread: Should you visit a gp for changes in bowel movements and when?

Should you visit a gp for changes in bowel movements and when?

Basically, have been having tummy issues since last Tuesday. Just suddenly started Tuesday morning, stomach cramps, gas, the nasty word beginning with d that I can't spell, 6 plus bowel movements per day. No blood, don't feel ill just bad tummy pain. Am worried its cancer but don't want to rush to the doctors for them to think I'm silly, should I leave it longer? How long?

If you ate something dodgy, would that cause vomiting aswell?

I started using a new spot cream a few weeks ago and now I've read that can cause d....

Argh, not sure what to do

Re: Should you visit a gp for changes in bowel movements and when?

Usually they say if the unusual bowel changes last longer than 3-4 weeks then see your GP, stressing about the bowel change could make it worse through stress though.

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I've just got over almost a fortnight of feeling the same as you, also with bloating & feeling sick, fleeting high temperatures, and overall just feeling really horrid. Saw my gp and also had a gp phone call a few days later as I was getting concerned.. both doctors said they'd had loads & loads of other patients complaining of the same symptoms... its a virus that's doing the rounds. So don't worry too much, hopefully it'll go in a few days.

Same here... All last week I had diarreah and pain under right rib around to my back, some mucous aswell

Had bloods done last week, waiting on an ultrasound on Friday as dr wants to rule out gallstones.

However after googling I'm convinced I now have pancreatic cancer, I'm not eating, feeling a little sucky and have lost 7lbs in a week....

Hi everyone, thanks. It's worse than ever since yesterday- have had to go to the loo a million times. Took some Imodium today which stopped it but have terrible tummy cramps still. Managed to work from home today but am worried as need to go in tomorrow and my tummy is just so painful :(

Do you think it could be colitis from the antibiotic cream?

Do you have IBS as I do as well as other IBD's and I go to the loo a lot!

I don't think Colitis can be caused by a cream

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

I was diagnosed with ibs in 2004 after some tests but haven't had pain like this before and haven't had a bout if ibs since about 2006. I haven't done anything different, eaten anything different or been stressed any more than usual so I don't get how it would be that.

The only change is the cream I have been using, duac - it can apparently, according to the internet be absorbed and affect the colon causing something to do with C. difficile as the antibiotic cream kills of the good bacteria so the bad bacteria can multiply :(

I guess I need to go to the doctors.... :(
    So fed up x

I assume you have stopped using the cream now?

Stopped today, I only applied it once daily to my face...
    It says it can cause antibiotic induced colitis

Systemic absorption of clindamycin has been demonstrated following topical use of clindamycin. Diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, and colitis (including pseudomembranous colitis) have been reported with the use of topical and systemic clindamycin. If significant diarrhea occurs, Duac Gel should be discontinued.

Severe colitis has occurred following oral and parenteral administration of clindamycin with an onset of up to several weeks following cessation of therapy. Antiperistaltic agents such as opiates and diphenoxylate with atropine may prolong and/or worsen severe colitis. Severe colitis may result in death.

Studies indicate a toxin(s) produced by Clostridia is one primary cause of antibiotic-associated colitis. The colitis is usually characterized by severe persistent diarrhea and severe abdominal cramps and may be associated with the passage of blood and mucus. Stool cultures for Clostridium difficile and stool assay for C. difficile toxin may be helpful diagnostically.

Thread Information