Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ALS severe anxiety

ALS severe anxiety

Hey guys, new member here and it is my first time ever posting on a forum.

I've had all types of irrational fears from HIV to all types of ocd fears...

I seem to be fixated on ALS now. I am 24 years old, very active and athletic. I work out 5-7 times a week, and I am a desk jockey by trade. I've always been the guy that has to be moving around. Always been a more anxious guy. I'm always moving my feet while I sit or beating on my desk like a drum. Over the last year I have my anxiety has gotten a lot worse and I've started to feel physical symptoms. For example, I twitch all over my body throughout the day and I'm not sure if its due to serious illness or just anxiety. I also chew snuff and drink quite a bit of coffee throughout the day. I don't notice any weakness in my body but i twitch nonstop. I'm still as strong as ever in the weight room but my legs and wrists feel tight. Sometimes my twitches are in my face around my mouth, sometimes in my ass, sometimes in my arms. I pretty much twitch all day all over my body and its uncontrollable. I twitch in the morning when i first wake up all the way until I go to bed. I also feel fatigued all day. My twitching is def. not localized to one region. (Which I believe is a good thing).also I've recently noticed that my left calf is quite a bit smaller than my right, which is probably normal due to the fact that my right side is my dominant side but this just fuels my ocd. I search for answers all day long and my life is a living hell die to this. Can anyone relate to this, or is this a serious problem that I should have checked out?

Re: ALS severe anxiety

I think everyone on here can relate to all of that.

Why are you worried about ALS? You don't have any of the symptom for it and you're far too young.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity1990 View Post
    I think everyone on here can relate to all of that.

Why are you worried about ALS? You don't have any of the symptom for it and you're far too young.
    I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure it's an irrational fear. I can feel completely relaxed and still twitch all over. The twitching has been here for about a year. You're probably right. I just have GAD as severe health anxiety and this is my latest obsession. Thanks so much for the reply, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I can't seem to figure out why we do this to ourselves? In all reality, i am a healthy 24 year old male with the whole world ahead of me and I shouldn't be sitting around wasting hours of my day worrying about a terminal illness. For some reason, you're reply was short but it really hit home with me. (For now, lol)

Hey man I read your post. Ive gone thru my als spell. The whole time I twitched all over too. You know what? As soon as I found something else to worry about my twitching quit. Im like 10 yrs or so older than you and am also physically active and I used to chew snuff too. Ill tell you this.. if you can lift weights chances are you dont have als. And... quit using tobacco if you can. I know its really hard ( took me forever to give it up). But... in reality youll be better off for it. And in the long run it might help ease your anxiety. Im still as crazy as ever but im going to go see a freaking psychiatrist about it. Been at this for 8 years now and still trying to be proactive about it. Keep active man and dont give up.

I've had severe ALS fears as well. It's a favorite among HA suffers.

Quote Originally Posted by sammyb View Post
    Hey man I read your post. Ive gone thru my als spell. The whole time I twitched all over too. You know what? As soon as I found something else to worry about my twitching quit. Im like 10 yrs or so older than you and am also physically active and I used to chew snuff too. Ill tell you this.. if you can lift weights chances are you dont have als. And... quit using tobacco if you can. I know its really hard ( took me forever to give it up). But... in reality youll be better off for it. And in the long run it might help ease your anxiety. Im still as crazy as ever but im going to go see a freaking psychiatrist about it. Been at this for 8 years now and still trying to be proactive about it. Keep active man and dont give up.
    Thanks for the reply. I think it's all on our minds. I think I tend to pay attention to things more now than i used to. For example, yesterday I did chest/triceps with some sprints after my workout, and today im all worked up because I'll take a step every so often and my leg will give out, or because my arms feel too tired to lift up. In all reality it's probably because I did weighted dips, and sprints, which is the first time in a loooonnnggg time that I've done either, but when it happens I get fixated on ALS. More than likely i just have BFS and I'm exhausted. That's the logical explanation but my ocd won't let it stop there. I'm more attentive to my body right now and it sucks. As for dip, I'm going to quit as soon as I get to a less stressful time in my life. I just got engaged, have health anxiety, as trying to find a house, and help plan a wedding. If I didn't twitch all of the time I wouldn't be worried. My fiancé has no idea about health anxiety.

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:28 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RoseEve View Post
    I've had severe ALS fears as well. It's a favorite among HA suffers.
    Wow I didn't know there were as many crazy people as me put there. Thanks a lot for the responses guys. I have no one else to talk to and its killing me.

Hey man take things one at a time quit the chew when its less stressful for you. I totally agree with that. Quitting is hard and stressful to begin with. Try to focus on the good things it sounds like you have in your life. I know that is hard too cause I have lots of positives that I seem to constantly overlook because of the same problem as you. If you have to come here to talk it out DO IT. dont hold it in man. If you are comfortable with it go and get some counseling. That might help. Im scheduled for july 13th. My wife is my angel along with my mother. No one else knows how I am but its good to have an outlet even if its just some guy on a message board like me. I know exactly how you feel. Being so tuned into your body is awful. Going thru my own stuff right now trying to be rational ocd sucks sucks sucks but like I said b4 keep trying. . Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Jocruz View Post
    I'm not sure, I'm pretty sure it's an irrational fear. I can feel completely relaxed and still twitch all over. The twitching has been here for about a year. You're probably right. I just have GAD as severe health anxiety and this is my latest obsession. Thanks so much for the reply, I'm glad to know that I'm not alone. I can't seem to figure out why we do this to ourselves? In all reality, i am a healthy 24 year old male with the whole world ahead of me and I shouldn't be sitting around wasting hours of my day worrying about a terminal illness. For some reason, you're reply was short but it really hit home with me. (For now, lol)
    In ALS clinical (obvious) weakness comes first and never goes away. Then the fasciculations develop months or years into the disease. The fasciculations are motor neurones dying, once they start by definition you can't control bits of your body you could before.

It always starts in one limb, then spreads. Twitches all over are never, ever, ALS.

You're far too young for it. It's a disease of the 50+.

If you want the clinical name for what you're experiencing it's BFS, which is basically what happens when anxiety exhausts your nervous system and it starts misfiring. It's harmless, will go away, and is just a fancy name for anxiety.

Quote Originally Posted by Serenity1990 View Post
    In ALS clinical (obvious) weakness comes first and never goes away. Then the fasciculations develop months or years into the disease. The fasciculations are motor neurones dying, once they start by definition you can't control bits of your body you could before.

It always starts in one limb, then spreads. Twitches all over are never, ever, ALS.

You're far too young for it. It's a disease of the 50+.

If you want the clinical name for what you're experiencing it's BFS, which is basically what happens when anxiety exhausts your nervous system and it starts misfiring. It's harmless, will go away, and is just a fancy name for anxiety.
    Thanks for the relief. It is greatly appreciated. I'm ready to get over all of this twitching

Quote Originally Posted by Jocruz View Post
    Thanks for the relief. It is greatly appreciated. I'm ready to get over all of this twitching
    Good on ya! Just be prepared that it might take a few months or years to calm down entirely. Just stay well away from google and medical dictionaries for the duration and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information