Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tooth abscess... Brain abscess?

Tooth abscess... Brain abscess?

Hi All,

I have received treatment on my tooth abscess (taken antibiotics but became allergic to them, so have now stopped taking them).
    I saw my dentist today who said that the infection seems to be calming down, and gave me a prescription for more antibiotics in case it gets worse

I am on holiday next week and am now scared about developing a brain abscess

I have been to A&E and Out of Hours doctors many times in the last few days, regarding different things.

I have a constant headache on the left side of my head, going into the back of my head (sharp throbbing pains).

The dentist told me that in 20 years of him doing dentistry he has never heard of anyone developing a brain abscess, although I am scared and freaking out.

I saw my GP this morning who was more concerned about my anxiety than my symptoms.

Please can someone provide some reassurance? I do not have a fever, but I am constantly tired, have been having chills and feeling generally unwell.

Re: Tooth abscess... Brain abscess?

You can't get a brain abscess like that.

What did the doc say about the anxiety?

“Don't be afraid of death; be afraid of an unlived life. You don't have to live forever, you just have to live.” - Natalie Babbitt

Please help keep NMP running and donate to the running costs: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/donate

Hi,
    Are you 100% sure as it says about it on the nhs website.
    I know I shouldn't google but I get really scared about everything.

She wants me to see her in 2 weeks time, looks like she will give me some drugs for it.

You don't have a brain abscess. Now go and enjoy your holiday, they're bloody expensive!

Haha, still waiting for the abscess to go down first, not sure whether to go or not.
    Really scared of everything lately.
    I'm going to go and have a sleep to see if it gets rid of my headache.

Surely even the 3 days of antibiotics would have stopped it spreading? Really scared.
    When I went to the doctors, I mentioned about many things, including sepsis and brain abscess.

Wish I could just enjoy my life and remove all of these bad thoughts.

You can have an abscess which eats through the bone and drains up into the brain causing sepsis but it's extremely rare - not least since it would have to go untreated for a very long time for that to happen.

I doubt many people in the western world have actually had this happen since antibiotics were invented to be honest with you.

Hi Brunette,

The only thing that concerns me about that is the fact that I got an alllergic reaction to the antibiotics, therefore I had to stop taking them after 4 doses.

Would this still prevent it from happening?

I will not have any further treatment (root canal) done until after my holiday (1 and a half weeks time).

What do you think the chances are?

This is very concerning, since I have in the past 2 hours developed what feels like the worst headache every. It is throbbing and quite severe on the left side of my head, towards the back and bottom.

Where would the pain be with a brain abscess? :(

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM1994 View Post
    What do you think the chances are?

How have a good holiday, sounds like you need it!

Serenity,
    I do need it but i'm afraid of this lol.

I have my talking therapy for the first time later, hopefully that will help me out also.

Do you personally think I should be concerned about a brain abscess?

Quote Originally Posted by RyanM1994 View Post
    Serenity,
    I do need it but i'm afraid of this lol.

I have my talking therapy for the first time later, hopefully that will help me out also.

Do you personally think I should be concerned about a brain abscess?
    God no!

I can understand anxiety about stuff we've actually got the symptoms of. I think worrying about developing x, y or z is the height if irrationality. Especially the incredibly rare stuff like this. We all 'might' develop every condition in existence at any point, in fact it's certain that one day we'll develop something that kills us. That's just something we all have to live with as mortal beings.

Given this, we might as well enjoy life while we're here and stop worrying about crap we have no control over. If worrying won't help the situation, why bother engaging in it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information