Thread: I did something bad and I don't know what to do

I did something bad and I don't know what to do

I'm on my phone so I'll keep it short. Three years ago I started renting a room in a house. My best friend's dad is the landlord. At the time I was told I could bring my dog (it was one reason I decided to move in) but upon committing he told me I couldn't. I stayed and my dog stayed with my parents.

Well, in March he sent out an email asking if we were staying in the house or moving out. Me and his daughter had both applied to grad school but hadn't heard back so we didnt know what we were doing. We didn't hear until the end of May and neither of us got in. She's staying in the house, but I can't afford to pay rent as I don't have a job - so I'm moving home where I can live for free.

I sent him an email at the beginning of June - pretty much right when I knew but was too scared to check my email for his response. I just did and he simply said he was disappointed and that I let my roommates down. The lease ends in August, so it was late but I offered to pay through the summer even though I don't live there anymore.

On the one hand, I feel bad because it was late even though I couldn't help it. However, I feel he's not being totally fair since I'm still fulfilling my legal requirements and his daughter is as lost in life as I am. I'm just freaking out about what he said and I'm afraid it will make things awkward between me and my friend or if I ever happen to run into him.

Ugh.

Re: I did something bad and I don't know what to do

I can't see that you've done anything wrong, Poppy.

You have offered to pay over the summer (which will give him time to get a new tenant) and fulfilled your legal obligations. You haven't let anybody down at all.

Anyway screw him - he changed his mind about the dog!

Poppy I think he is the one being unfair here not you. I don't see how it will affect your friendship with your friend. She is probably embarrassed about what her Dad has said. You have not let anyone down. You have genuine reasons for needing to leave.

Poppy I agree with Annie she gives great advice does our Annie

Thanks guys - of course you're right. I alternate between being upset and guilty and then just mad because I think his email was unprofessional and he is being unfair. I think it was the "disappointing" part that struck a nerve because I was disappointed in myself for not getting into school. I did talk to my other friends who moved out before the summer and she gave much the same advice as you guys did, so I just need to keep repeating it to myself!

Anyway, I'm on vacation in Canada now (one of my favorite places to be) and I usually have terrible travel anxiety but so far it hasn't been too bad. I had a bad night last night after reading the email but I'm going to try and push it out of my head and have a good time.

Thanks again for the kind words - you guys are awesome.

Have a lovely holiday Poppy and forget about the email xx

Have a lovely holiday hun

Thread Information