Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Retching still bad and yet again my Glucose blood test has come back with high levels

Re: Retching still bad and yet again my Glucose blood test has come back with high le

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsarah View Post
    All of those glucose results you gave us suggest either pre-diabetes or diabetes. Two fasting tests over 7.0 mmol would be enough for a diagnosis. Despite what you might read in the press, type 2 diabetes can affect anyone regardless of weight or activity levels, though there is no denying that if you are overweight and inactive on diagnosis, changing this can be beneficial to your blood glucose control. .

By the way, cutting back on sugar won't make much difference to your blood glucose levels unless you also cut back on other carbohydrates in your diet. The body can't tell the difference between sugar or other carbohydrates and metabolises them in the same way. Yes, some carbs digest more slowly than others but to blood glucose levels, they all have the same effect. Incidentally, in the short-term, alcohol lowers blood glucose levels, rather than raise them (your liver is busy dealing with the alcohol so doesn't pump out as much of its own glucose, to put it very simply)

You need to follow up with your doctor to find out what's going on. The numbers aren't super high and certainly not high enough to cause any of the traditional diabetes symptoms but you do need to see your doctor. Most likely you will have something called a Glucose Tolerance Test, to see how well your body deals with high concentrations of carbohydrates.

You may well be perfectly fine and not diabetic at all but do go and get yourself sorted xx
    Hi I had a Glucose Tolerance Test in December 2013 and I was told there was no problem. My results were 6.8mmo/l from the fingerprick sample, then I gave an immediate sample from my arm which was 6.7mmo/l and then 2 hours later they took another sample from the arm and it had dropped all the way down to 4.8mmo/l...

However the Dr contacted me last week saying it had been 6 months since my GTT and that he wanted me to be tested as part of a 6 monthly pre-diabetes query. This was on June 20th and I gave the 7.3mmo/l level. I have been calling my Dr everyday for 4 days and keep being told to ring back the next day, this has been happening since last Friday and I still cant get an appointment...

I wonder what will happen from here??? Will I be sent for another repeat Fasting Glucose or will I have to have another Oral Glucose Tolerance Test or possibly a random Glucose sample???

---------- Post added at 16:32 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by AnxietyDJ View Post
    I can definitely empathise with your retching symptoms as I get that as one of the worst parts of my anxiety / panic attacks.... Can also agree with everyone else that alcohol most definitely makes it worse and drinking regularly / heavily will not make you feel any better, and will definitely make the retching more frequent and extreme...

If you can manage it just try to not drink, or cut waaaaay down, for several weeks and I'm sure you will notice the difference.

Also, my friend is currently going through the same thing as you - i.e keeps testing in and out of diabetes range, but his doctor won't do anything about it until they can test him minus alcohol, so he is now abstaining for six weeks so they can take more bloods... Maybe you should do the same and then go for another test?

Hope you're having a good day and good luck
    Hi the strange thing is that I retch even when I am not anxious, it happens anything from 6-12 times a day and is involuntary. I went 3 days without drink in December 2013 and the retching and craving for sugar stopped almost completely. However I have been drinking a lot recently...

Why does your friend keep having diabetic issues???

Re: Retching still bad and yet again my Glucose blood test has come back with high le

I went 3 days without drink in December 2013 and the retching and craving for sugar stopped almost completely

AND
    'AV A
    PASTY

6.7 mmol fasting is pre-diabetic. You should have been given some advice on this on how to take steps to prevent it developing into full-blown diabetes. Saying it is "no problem" was bad advice. Whilst it's encouraging that you "passed" the OGTT, that is only one way diabetes is diagnosed. Your latest fasting test does show diabetes but it does need repeating, one test is not enough for a diagnosis. I know waiting is frustrating but as I said before, your numbers aren't dangerously high or anything and type 2 diabetes is all about the long game anyway. A week or so won't make any difference, I promise you.

If you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, it isn't the end of the world, even though it is scary at first. It's a very controllable condition and there's a lot you can do yourself to keep those complications you've probably heard about at bay. However, let's see what your next set of tests throw up and deal with it if and when xx

Quote Originally Posted by calumcco View Post
    I went 3 days without drink in December 2013 and the retching and craving for sugar stopped almost completely. However I have been drinking a lot recently...

Why does your friend keep having diabetic issues???
    Surely that statement gives you the answer to to all of your problems?!?!?

My friend has a few other medical conditions as well, but basically, he drinks too much and lives quite an unhealthy live style. As in your case, the likelihood is that if he stops drinking or cuts right down, a lot of the issues will fix themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahsarah View Post
    6.7 mmol fasting is pre-diabetic. You should have been given some advice on this on how to take steps to prevent it developing into full-blown diabetes. Saying it is "no problem" was bad advice. Whilst it's encouraging that you "passed" the OGTT, that is only one way diabetes is diagnosed. Your latest fasting test does show diabetes but it does need repeating, one test is not enough for a diagnosis. I know waiting is frustrating but as I said before, your numbers aren't dangerously high or anything and type 2 diabetes is all about the long game anyway. A week or so won't make any difference, I promise you.

If you are diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes, it isn't the end of the world, even though it is scary at first. It's a very controllable condition and there's a lot you can do yourself to keep those complications you've probably heard about at bay. However, let's see what your next set of tests throw up and deal with it if and when xx
    Hi saw my Dr on Thursday. My HbA1c test came back at 27mmo/l which is excellent but my Glucose Fasting was 7.3mmo/l. I am being sent for a repeat of both again but my Dr is baffled by why the Glucose Fasting sample is indicative of diabetes and why the HbA1c test suggests completely the opposite??? Anyone have any idea???

If your doctor doesn't know then I think it's highly unlikely that us non-medical professionals will.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

By fasting, did you abstain from alcohol for a few (3-5 days) days prior? I can tell you from experience (and from what I was told by my doctor) you need to allow your body time to rid itself from the additional sugars found in spirits, wine and beer.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information