Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing it By the Spoonful

Doing it By the Spoonful

As I've mentioned, I have had problems with anxiety and panic since 1999. During all this time it's come in waves, hitting and missing me over the years. What I wanted to mention was something Dr. Jellybean (no disrespect intended, it's just what I call him) said a few weeks ago.

I was going on about how my social anxiety was hitting me every time I left the house for extended periods. When he suggested about taking my adventures out in smaller doses. I let the words soak in my hard head, then I finally started putting them into practice. So far the results have been pretty good.

I guess my point here is to say, while I still struggle with putting some "normalcy" into my life. Doing things in small doses has worked for me, and maybe, it can work for you also. As an added note usually my wife is with me, so... take from that what you will.

Re: Doing it By the Spoonful

This is true - staying within your comfort zone until you're ready to push on a bit further helps, you don't want to be jumping in at the deep end and make yourself feel worse through failing to control your anxiety.Small steps are the way to go, you know when to push yourself and when to take it easy.

It's nice to get advice and help, but never let anyone dictate how you should be going about your recovery, you know best.

Just as an update to pushing the boundaries, I got an email to apply for a position at a major phone carrier. I completed the application and frankly thought nothing more of it, thinking I'd never get an offer.

Well I was surprised when I got an email back from the business wanting to interview me. The point I want to bring up is this, I got very uncomfortable a few days before the interview. But I worked through it and had a good first interview and will have a second this Friday.

I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes a little nudge is all it takes to get you back to life. Even if nothing comes of this interview, at lest it gives me more security and confidence to try again.

Re: Doing it By the Spoonful 3

Well I'm sitting here waiting for my next interview with the actual hiring manager. The only thing I can thing of is how I'm I going to move my truck while the interview is taking place and my landlord decides today is the day to mow grass, OGH!

Other than that my stress level is okay. It is funny (ironic) that I have become so sensitive to stress. That even small levels of stress now effect me. Maybe I just need to work on handling low levels of stress. But the $64,000 question is, how do you do that, any suggestions?

My advice would be to go out and just see how far you get with a challenge. Don't pressurize yourself to stay until a certain time or point, just see how it goes and view everything you achieve (no matter how small) as a success. My biggest flaw is i am too hard on myself if i'm not able to achieve things i would like to have been able to do. Because i am too wrapped up in everything i haven't been able to do yet i forget about all the amazing things i have achieved and how much progress i have made in other areas. Hope this helps.

Koala

I really appreciate the good words and I believe I should challenge myself more. At the moment I am really stressing out, I can only assume from the great job offer I received this week. Although, nothings set in stone I was told I'd receive an answer in three to five days.

Ever since that last meeting I have been a mess. I nearly forgot my wife and son's birthday and could barely get through a simple class assignment. My fear is the pressure doesn't just affect my mind it shoots my blood pressure through the roof for prolonged periods of time as I try and calm down.

What control I ever feel I gain over my situation, this anxiety and stress find new ways to enter in. To the point to where I wonder if I'll ever gain control of it?

I was having a couple of rough days with stress and anxiety (for no real good reason). But I've been reminding myself that there is no need to focus on situations which haven't occurred (which is what I'm doing). It amazes me that I allow myself to go on these stressful journeys of "what if's". All I can do is remind myself if the pointlessness of this worry. To keep myself in the moment and the focus n the present.

Maybe this is the wrong thing to say, but sometimes you have to let go. I sent the day stressing and working on a class project that was due today. After 9 hours of writing and rewriting, then figuring (there's Math involved) then answering the phone and answering the door. I put my hands up and let go. I sent a note to my teacher then did a half-hour of good mediation.

Like I said, I maybe wrong, but after fighting and fighting to make sense of the assignment and all the distractions I felt it was time to simply shut it down. And to be honest, I really don't feel guilty doing it, which is also great. Hopefully, I can get up tomorrow with a clearer understanding of the work, turn my phone off and get some work done.

Well I puckered up and got the job done, but not without some more and drama. Anyway, that was a few hours ago and I've had time to get caught up and ready for tomorrow.

I guess the big thing I can pull from all this is, even when major pressures on with a little patients with myself I can get things done. Which is funny, because for the last number of years I've been setting and meeting goals for myself. Yet there are times when I seem to forget those moments and let the "what if's" control my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by fduop View Post
    Just as an update to pushing the boundaries, I got an email to apply for a position at a major phone carrier. I completed the application and frankly thought nothing more of it, thinking I'd never get an offer.

Well I was surprised when I got an email back from the business wanting to interview me. The point I want to bring up is this, I got very uncomfortable a few days before the interview. But I worked through it and had a good first interview and will have a second this Friday.

I guess what I'm saying is, sometimes a little nudge is all it takes to get you back to life. Even if nothing comes of this interview, at lest it gives me more security and confidence to try again.
    Such a great way of looking at it! Despite everything you are going through, you have a lot of positivity, and that has to be good in terms of your recovery.

I have really severe social anxiety at the mo, but went for a short walk and into a shop WITHOUT self-service and where I had to speak to someone today, so feeling pretty pleased with myself! Small steps like you say.

Page 1 of 49 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information