Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CBT, does it work?

CBT, does it work?

Hello again my wonderful brothers (and sisters ) in arms. So I've had one CBT session in which we covered lots of stuff I already knew, and came away feeling just the same. I'm not expecting miracles, and also understand cbt can be a long and drawn out process. My question is, has anyone undertaken a full CBT session, and what were your opinions on it, and ultimately were there any benefits?
    Cheers
    Stay well....Jay.

Re: CBT, does it work?

I've had one course of 6 CBT sessions through the NHS and my own personal experience wasn't that great.

I was mainly told things that to me were basic common sense and really obvious and therefore didn't really change my way of thinking. Also, I guess I didn't feel ready to have to confront my fears and anxieties - especially using some of the main examples we focused on - and therefore found that over analysing them and trying to throw myself in the deep end, so to speak, only served to make them worse :(

I hope that doesn't put you off Jay - obviously that was just my own personal experience and I know a lot of people who had many benefits from CBT. It's well worth trying obviously, but I would just make sure you get your thoughts over to them so they don't assume you are ready for x, y, or z, if you're really not.... I guess I let the therapist run away down certain avenues that were not entirely correct in my case... Suppose the sessions not working too well may have largely been my fault! :(

There is no real method that will heal you unless you work at it. It's the same concerning serious physical illnesses. Recovery from cancer is daily work for me. I have good days and not so good days but I work on it every day. To heal from mental illness is really no different. Whether it's CBT, one on one therapy, meds etc, you have to follow through for it to be effective.

In many ways (all ways IMO) CBT is a way of thinking. Yes, it is a lot of common sense. It also teaches you why your body reacts the way it does to perceived threats. The tools offered require work. It's essentially learning a new way to think and react. That's my take on it. I use the free course offered here as a tool to keep my attitude positive. It also helped me with some depression I was experiencing.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

Hi

This is just a courtesy reply to let you know that your post was moved from its original place to a sub-forum that is more relevant to your problem.

This is nothing personal - it just enables us to keep posts about the same problems in the relevant forums so other members with any experience with the issues can find them more easily.

nolite te basstardes carborundorum

I have my first CBT session this Thursday and do not really know what to expect, all I know is, that I want to get my life back again. I appreciate there will be no quick fix but will work at it. I want it to work.

I felt the same after my first session of CBT. I left feeling unaccomplished and unsure. But the first session is how the therapist understands you and where your problems lie. The proceeding sessions will become beneficial.

As Fishmanpa rightly said, it only works as long as you work towards it. CBT is homework based where you have to write journals and try out techniques where they get evaluated at the next session. CBT can be very successful, my anxiety levels went from severe to minor.

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Rennie1989 that is so encouraging to read, thank you.

Hollie is doing CBT, had 6 sessions so far, what she said last week (I pay for this so go in with her) is that instead of being told to go and cope with the panic, and ways to cope, she now understands why she it happens, what is happening body and brain wise that all comes together into something so big and scary. She basically has to retrain her brain, little but continuously is the way to do that. Hope that helps xx

Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Some encouraging opinions and objective ones too. I have my second session tomorrow at 1pm, I'm not looking forward to it, mainly because I've had a terrible weekend and I'm on high alert, agoraphobia is kicking in and I just want to try gather myself tomorrow, but hey ho, I continue to search for the answer to this universal question. If I get the answer you will all be the first to know. Stay positive. Jay.

Quote Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
    Thank you all for taking the time to reply. Some encouraging opinions and objective ones too. I have my second session tomorrow at 1pm, I'm not looking forward to it, mainly because I've had a terrible weekend and I'm on high alert, agoraphobia is kicking in and I just want to try gather myself tomorrow, but hey ho, I continue to search for the answer to this universal question. If I get the answer you will all be the first to know. Stay positive. Jay.
    Hope your second session went well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information