Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CBT, does it work?

Re: CBT, does it work?

Hi Bitternegirl, the second session went amazingly well to be honest. My scepticism which normally takes over reasonable thought was banished in the first 5 minutes of an hour long session which seemed like 10 minutes. I won't say I had the moment of absolute clarity we all seek, but I definitely left feeling a lot more optimistic and having gained some knowledge that will prove invaluable in my recovery, which will happen, sooner or later. From here on in my Monday sessions of CBT will be greeted with open arms and hopefully are as constructive as yesterday's. I know CBT isn't everyone's cup of tea, I wasn't mine, but at this juncture I'm prepared to take any help that's offered, I hope others have a therapist like mine and gain Something from opening their minds.
    Cheers. Jay.

Cbt for me took a long long time to actually take proper effect. You really have to want to do it, as my half hearted attempts didn't get me anywhere. Since I really started to put all my effort into the techniques I've learnt, I am seeing a difference in my thinking, and I can identify thoughts before they take hold. (Not always, but at least some of the time now!) I have been seeing a therapist for cbt for 6 months though and it's only in the past month that I can see changes in my behaviour. I sort of crashed my way through the first half of the year up and down and all over the place, but for now it's a little bit more evened out. Sort of in a way how I can imagine it might feel once medication starts to settle in. Hope it works out for you!

Thanks Kimberley, It's good to hear you've settled into your cbt and that you're feeling some kind of benefit. I hope my progress continues too, so I can try and obtain some sort of normality again as life just sucks in this vicious circle of anxiety, feeling low, not sleeping, sleeping too late, not eating, and generally feeling like a social dropout. Thanks for the reply. Jay.

I'm so pleased to hear that it's turned out better for you! Let us know how you get on

ERB 14/01/2016 Forever missed, forever in our hearts, my baby angel girl

Quote Originally Posted by JustJay View Post
    Hi Bitternegirl, the second session went amazingly well to be honest. My scepticism which normally takes over reasonable thought was banished in the first 5 minutes of an hour long session which seemed like 10 minutes. I won't say I had the moment of absolute clarity we all seek, but I definitely left feeling a lot more optimistic and having gained some knowledge that will prove invaluable in my recovery, which will happen, sooner or later. From here on in my Monday sessions of CBT will be greeted with open arms and hopefully are as constructive as yesterday's. I know CBT isn't everyone's cup of tea, I wasn't mine, but at this juncture I'm prepared to take any help that's offered, I hope others have a therapist like mine and gain Something from opening their minds.
    Cheers. Jay.
    Thank you for the updatable, that is so encouraging to read. My first session is tomorrow and I really want to get well and start enjoying life to the full.

Cheers guys, I'll keep you informed on my progress.

Jay, you keep at it. As FMP says it is a work in progress. You have to work at it every day. There are good days and bad days. I have been working at some issues for some time now and today I was feeling really good. The best I have felt in ages. Someone said to me how well I look and that even though I am a cheerful person anyway, how happy I seemed. This has come as the result if an awful lot if hard work.
    It is so worth it, so you keep at it.
    Sometimes challenging habits you formed over the years can be very difficult & it's possible to feel worse than you did before at times. But that is because you are moving into somewhat unknown ground. Often you might feel it is not working. But if you continue to look at facts & really open your mind to alternative ways of thinking and ways of dealing with situations, you can endure what seems impossible and eventually your whole mindset alters for the better.
    I will look forward to reading your updates & help u in any way I can.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information