Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: NMP Book Club: The first rule of Book Club...

NMP Book Club: The first rule of Book Club...

…is you don’t talk about Book Club.

Hi guys, let me welcome you to the first official NMP Book Club thread and give a big thanks (again) to everyone that has given me their ideas and support so far.

So, here goes… A few FAQs to start us off…

What is Book Club?
    It’s pretty simple – we (the members of the club) read the same book simultaneously and then discuss our thoughts and ideas about the book at various stages.

Which books do we read?
    Each time a different member of the club sets a book of their choice for everyone to read, which we then have a week to source before starting. We try to keep the choice fairly easy reading and appealing to the general population, so (hopefully) everybody can enjoy it.

Where do I get the book from?
    Well, that’s entirely up to you. We’ll post links to purchase the book online in paperback and e-reader (Kindle etc.) formats, or you can go ahead and get it from a place of your choice. Obviously your local library is a great option for anyone not wishing to make the commitment of actually buying the book.

I’m not a fast enough reader… I don’t think I’ll keep up!
    Don’t worry! This is a really relaxed club and we don’t expect you to race through each book really quickly. We’ll usually set between two weeks to one month in which to read the book (depending on length), which should provide ample time to get through it, without feeling rushed.

How do we discuss the book?
    Every week we’ll give you a target chapter to reach, and then set some discussion topics on the forum, which everyone can respond to at their leisure. Again, no pressure here – you can say as much or as little as you want each time. Once we actually finish the book, we’ll aim to meet up in the chat room (or somewhere else – such as Skype (typing only!)), to have a live discussion about what we all made of it.

Sounds good…! Who can join?
    Anyone who is a member of the No More Panic forum can join the book club – the more the merrier! Just reply to this thread so we know who is involved each time.

If all of the above hasn’t scared you off and you want the chance to read some interesting books and get involved with some fun and friendly people, come and join us!

Cheers!

Anxiety DJ
    Last edited by AnxietyDJ; 26-08-14 at 19:06.

Re: NMP Book Club: The first rule of Book Club...

In the words of Michael Jackson..I'll be there

And thanks DJ for taking the time to organise it....ISB x

Book 1: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.

Thanks to everyone for allowing me the privilege of selecting the first NMP Book Club book... Please find a link to purchase the paper back and e-reader versions below (I have included links for UK & US versions - if anyone from another country has problems sourcing the book, please feel free to contact me and I'll be happy to assist).

Hopefully everyone is happy with this choice - we'll aim to start reading by Wednesday next week (16th July).

Amazon UK
    Paper back - http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Fault-St...t+in+our+stars

Kindle / e-book - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Fault-Our-St...t+in+our+stars

Amazon US
    Paper back - http://www.amazon.com/The-Fault-Star...t+in+our+stars

Kindle / e-book - http://www.amazon.com/The-Fault-Star.../dp/B005ZOBNOI

Look forwards to reading and discussing the book with you very soon!

I almost bought this a few weeks ago strangely enough so look forward to reading it with you all. We have a book club..fab!

Sounds good! I think this will be a tear-jerker ...

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

I already found a downloadable e-book version through our town library. Should be in within two days!

I did read a little snippet on amazon, so yes could be, but looks good and my copy will be with me by Friday apparently!

ISB x

Thank you for organising this anxietydj

I've read TFIOS already and it's a good book to start with, definitely don't mind reading it again for this. I hope everyone enjoys it

I know a good website where you can read books for free if anyone's interested. It's not a dodgy site either. You can read the books on your computer without downloading or you can download them onto your phone (into your iBooks app if you have it.) I use it for reading everyday. It hasn't got every single book I've looked for but it has a lot. The Fault in Our Stars is on it but it only has the first chapter uploaded . It might come in handy for other books though.
    Last edited by Agadch; 09-07-14 at 01:28.

Thanks for the tip Aga

Quote Originally Posted by swgrl09 View Post
    Sounds good! I think this will be a tear-jerker ...

---------- Post added at 19:38 ---------- Previous post was at 19:33 ----------

I already found a downloadable e-book version through our town library. Should be in within two days!
    Quote Originally Posted by I still Believe View Post
    I did read a little snippet on amazon, so yes could be, but looks good and my copy will be with me by Friday apparently!

ISB x
    Quote Originally Posted by Agadch View Post
    Thank you for organising this anxietydj
    I know a good website where you can read books for free if anyone's interested. It's not a dodgy site either. You can read the books on your computer without downloading or you can download them onto your phone (into your iBooks app if you have it.) I use it for reading everyday. It hasn't got every single book I've looked for but it has a lot. The Fault in Our Stars is on it but it only has the first chapter uploaded . It might come in handy for other books though.
    Awesome, thanks so much guys! I'm excited

That sounds promising Agadch... Personally, I don't mind buying books - I like to own them... One of my little quirks! But it def sounds ideal for those who want to try the book without having to pay for it... Maybe on the next book we can look into that further

Looking forward to it

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread Information