Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

I thought it would be useful to provide a typical timetable for the journey to recovery. I have been on fluox for over 8 weeks and have read many, many posts of people's experiences here. Though everybody is different, it seems there is a common path for those where this medication has been successful. Many people seem to give up too soon, or change their dosage too soon because this is a very, very slow acting drug. My hope is, this will help those who are questioning their recovery by giving hope that, with time, this is a magnificent med when it does work.

First, the disclaimer: I am not a doctor nor am I capable of giving medical advice to any one specific person. This is merely a summary of the experiences I have read about. Further, there are many exceptions to this typical experience. Many claim success the first week while many others find that prozac just is not the right medication for them.

Further, this experience is typical for the person who has taken fluox in the past. For some reason, first time users seem to get much faster results and usually less side effects.

Also, this is a typical timetable for those who do not change their dosage. Changes in dosage seem to lengthen the time for recovery, almost like starting over.

So, in short, here is what I have read to be typical:

Week 1: This week can go either way. Some find almost immediate improvement while other see the side effects (see weeks 2-3) after the first day.

Weeks 2,3: These are almost always the most difficult. Anxiety and depression can get worse than before the medication. Side effects kick in, these can include sleeplessness, nightmares, diarrhea, nausea, hot flashes, excessive sweating (especially at night), dry mouth, muscle twitches, overall muscle weakness and pain, zero appetite, and very negative mental outlook. My advice is, take these one day at a time and try not to get discouraged, not every day will be bad and better times are ahead!

Weeks 4,5: Some improvement. The side effects lessen to some point, and there are moments when you start to feel normal. Typically evenings are the best and mornings the worst. Many start playing around with dosage at this point because they are told that the Prozac should be working, my advice: hold the course!

Weeks 6,7: More improvement. Maybe 50% to 70% better than before starting. There are often blips where you feel just terrible for a few days, but not usually over a week. Some side effects lessen, but also you may get new side effects. Hang in there, you are getting ready to turn a corner!

Weeks 8-10: Even more improvement. There still are blips, but they are less severe and shorter, maybe 1-2 days. Not normal yet, but getting better day by day. The side effects are usually 75% or so gone. Light at the end of the tunnel!

Weeks 10-12: Maybe this is wishful thinking for me (I'm not here yet), but this is where most see the best results. Some quotes from this time period: "best in months", "Amazing", "Feel good", "brilliant". Again, this is for the people for whom the prozac did work, not everyone, and for those who stuck to their original dosage. For some, this happens at 7 weeks, for some, 3-4 months. But, from what I have read, 10-12 weeks is the payoff time.

I hope this helps, please let me know if it does! Others, please feel free to offer differences, or additions to this summery. The purpose is to give those struggling an idea of what to expect. I feel for everyone struggling through this terrible disease, it's truly awful, but you will get through it! There are many great posters here willing to help with questions and are very supporting. I am grateful to them all!
    Last edited by betterdays; 16-07-14 at 19:51.

Re: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Nice curation of other's experiences (and of your own), Betterdays. I hope other's find this to be helpful. It's always nice to see collated information presented in a linear visual way. I'm coming out of week three, meh.

Thanks for the reply copper. Week 3 eh? The worst is probably over, better from here! Please let me know how the rest of your journey goes. I'm at 8-1/2 weeks and starting to have some really good days. I wish you the best.

Thank you for this. Gives me hope. I start week three tomorrow. I'm just so done. Ug. I've been having panic attacks and sick to my stomach and can't seem to wake up. Just so down. Hopefully only another week left with these side effects. I really hope this works.

You're welcome. So many people give up in the early weeks because the side effects are so bad. Others increase or decrease their dose. From the information I have read on here, my advice is to stick with it and stay at the same dosage, for at least 8 weeks.
    Do I ever know it is hard! The good news is, this stuff works wonders when it works, and it seems to work for the majority of folks who stay the course.
    Stay in touch, we will get through this!
    By the way, is this the first time you have used prozac? If so, it seems to work faster the first time.
    Last edited by betterdays; 15-07-14 at 14:04.

Great summary, betterdays! I think your summary should be included with the medicine instead of the one the pharmacy gives you, as yours is much more realistic.

Deepthinker, You are one of several who inspired me to keep fighting this battle, so thank you!
    I am 9 weeks tomorrow, and still seeing daily progress. It was posts like yours that convinced me that my experiences were typical, and to stay the course. I am very grateful!!

thank you for those kind words, betterdays! so glad to hear that you are doing so well and even continuing to improve. you and others on this site have been such a blessing and encouragement to me.

Just a quick update on my journey. I'm now at 10 weeks, still on 20 mg. Still seeing improvement, but still not what I consider normal. True depression is limited to an hour or so in the mornings and that is mild, yet I remain frustrated by how slow this process is. I'm hoping the next 2 weeks for me are a big payoff as is per the "typical schedule" above. I will report again at 12 weeks.

Hi Betterdays, how are you doing now? Your timetable for recovery post is very informative and encouraging.

Page 1 of 83 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread Information