Page 67 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Re: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Quote Originally Posted by Dhen1503 View Post
    Hi Kay
    I'm on nothing but fluoxetine. I'm not really keen on taking a cocktail of tablets when these worked so well last time on the same dose. I thought side effects were improving but heartburn and really bad headaches have returned along with the other side effects. I forgot to mention before insomnia is another side effect I'm struggling with. Two nights ago I took my tablet before bed instead of in the morning but have felt I'll since. However this could also be due to my fear and anxiety over coronavirus.
    All the best
    David
    I am not taking anything else now either except for a phenergan tablet at night to help me sleep. I was prescribed diazapam to help with the anxiety but It didn't really work too well for me so I managed without.
    When I first posted on here somebody replied that the side effects are worse if you have taken it before. Not sure why but that's definitely been my experience.
    It's such a worrying time for everyone at the moment so anyone with anxiety is bound to struggle more.
    In a way Its almost a positive I haven't been able to work because it's like I've been self isolating already! Sounds like it's probably a good idea you haven't been at work either.

I can't offer much advice apart from just keep going. You got this far.
    I still wake every day thinking I can't do another day and I'm never going to get better but I do make it through another day and last night I managed to watch something on the TV that I've been looking forward to and I havent managed that before.

Keep well, stay in as much as you can. That may help with the anxiety over your mum's health.
    X

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Try and get out if you can even if its only a walk to the corner of your street and back when few people are about. I'll trade you the grumpy dog for the snoring sheep that has recently decided to sleep under the cabin I'm renting.
    Snoring Sheep!? Sounds like you are out in the country somewhere.
    I think I'm more likely to want to swap the kids!
    Thanks for all your help and advice over the posts x

This timeline is based on people not increasing during the 12 weeks. I am about to start week 10 and I’m still having really bad days. If I up my dose I’ve bern told it’s like starting the 12 week timeline again. Is this anyone’s experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Sazflux View Post
    I am about to start week 10 and I’m still having really bad days.
    Are they becoming less frequent, or about the same?

If I up my dose I’ve bern told it’s like starting the 12 week timeline again.
    No, you won't go back to square 1, however, it will take some weeks for the extra dose to begin producing a positive response. How many weeks depends on a number of individual factors so can't be predicted, but probably at least 5 weeks.

This is my 8 week update!!
    In a strange way 8 weeks has flown by but at times its felt like the longest 8 weeks of my life.
    Ive now got the prospect of another possible 12 weeks in Isolation.
    When I imagined starting to feel better I didn't factor in a Pandemic!! Life throws us some crazy stuff sometimes.
    But the positive is I am starting to feel better. I'm not back to myself yet but I will catch myself at certain times of the day laughing at something or singing and I will feel OK.
    The fear of feeling worse still rumbles under the surface but I'm much more able to reason with myself now and believe this is not forever.
    Getting even to the stage I am now has not been a straight path and I think that's why it's so hard for people suffering to chart their progress.
    I'm still waking stupidly early, 3.15 this morning and I'm not able to fall back to sleep but I'm not crying for hours on end. Oh I'm still crying but it's shorter less intense and I'm able to ease into the day quicker. Saturday and yesterday I managed to be up all day and do some stuff in the garden and play with the kids. Even attempting some housework now!
    It's been a slow gradual process. So frustrating and it's going to be hard trying to find a way through anxiety and depression and everything that's going on in the world.
    Im hoping the improvements for me carry on.
    Sending love xx

Quote Originally Posted by KayMK View Post
    When I imagined starting to feel better I didn't factor in a Pandemic!! Life throws us some crazy stuff sometimes.
    Life is definitely boring atm, Kerri.

But the positive is I am starting to feel better. I'm not back to myself yet but I will catch myself at certain times of the day laughing at something or singing and I will feel OK.
    Laughing and singing are very good signs. Long may it continue.

Snoring Sheep!? Sounds like you are out in the country somewhere.
    Yes, well off the beaten track living in the middle of an apple and pear orchard with only some four legged lawn mowers for company, plus a bird which comes to give me a verbal lashing once or twice a day. I don't know what I've done to offend it, but it seems to have a real problem with me.

I've been on 20mg for 3 months now. It has helped a little but my ocd has gone through the roof this past week. My doctor raised the dose to 40 mg and I took the larger dose this morning. I feel terrible - very high and jittery and I have a really bad headache. Is this dose too high or should I carry on and see if it helps?

Quote Originally Posted by losin View Post
    My doctor raised the dose to 40 mg and I took the larger dose this morning. I feel terrible - very high and jittery and I have a really bad headache. Is this dose too high or should I carry on and see if it helps?
    These side-effects are fairly common when first taking an SSRI, or for a while after dose increases. They are caused by an increase in serotonin activity. Despite the claims, serotonin isn't a 'feel good' neurotransmitter, just the opposite as you've discovered. The brain and body will respond to this by down regulating serotonin synthesis and expression after a while and the side-effects should then diminish.

Serotonin has many roles in the body (the brain is only a minor user) including in the control of blood vessel tone, constriction and dilation, and it is fluoxetine's impact on this function which is causing the headache. Any of the common painkillers should help, however, paracetamol, aka acetaminophen, is the preferred option if a painkiller is needed for more than a day, or two as it isn't a blood thinner because SSRIs, SNRIs and some TCAs are also mild anticoagulants.

I was too scared to take the extra dose yesterday and today but I really need something to get a handle on the neverending fear.
    I've tried all the usual recommendations of healthy diet, excercise, meditation etc but I'm not living life, just lurching from one panicky thought to another and I feel like life is passing me by.
    I might try again tomorrow.

I'm wondering whether it's going to take longer for the 20mg to work as I'm starting again after being off for 3 years. I'm really mot sure whether to plod on for a while longer on 20 or up it now. Does anyone ever see any improvement after 12 weeks?

Page 67 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast

Thread Information