Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Thread: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Re: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Quote Originally Posted by losin View Post
    I think it's 12 weeks. The only thing I can think of is I've been eating a lot of junk food over the past week.
    While there is growing evidence that the gut and its microbes can have a significant impact on mental health, I don't think eating junk food for a week would make a huge difference.

It looks like 40mg fluoxetine may not be enough. If the current state continues then you basically have 3 options, increase the fluoxetine dose to 60mg, add a small dose of *buspirone (Buspar) - if you can get your GP to prescribe it which may not happen as the NHS is apparently not a fan - or switch to something else. If switching then I'd suggest either citalopram (Celexa), or one of the TCAs such as amitriptyline, or imipramine. Citalopram has a reasonably good record for working when another SSRI has pooped-out, but personally I'd try a TCA. Your GP would probably prefer to follow the NHS guidelines and prescribe either venlafaxine, or mirtazapine, but they'd be toward the bottom of my list.

* buspirone is a GAD specific med which works for some, but not most, however, it has a proven record for boosting the effectiveness of serotonergic ADs and reinvigorating those which have pooped-out. It may also ease some SSRI side-effects such as sexual dysfunction.

- - What to know about: Telepsychiatry | Teletherapy - -

The opinions expressed above are based on my observations and, where applicable, interpretation of cited data and are general in nature. Consult your physician before acting on anything stated.

hello, after a long break.so i stop prozac and i'm on 20mg of deroxat.the change was drastic after a month. I have started to live again.I think that the withdrawal that I made from deroxat was too fast.after 3 months of deroxat more motivation my doctor decided to increase to 30 mg.i really hope the 30mg will work and hope not to change the antidepressant.here I hope you are well

Quote Originally Posted by velia View Post
    hello, after a long break.so i stop prozac and i'm on 20mg of deroxat.the change was drastic after a month. I have started to live again.I think that the withdrawal that I made from deroxat was too fast.after 3 months of deroxat more motivation my doctor decided to increase to 30 mg.i really hope the 30mg will work and hope not to change the antidepressant.here I hope you are well
    This is very good news. Finding the antidepressant which works best with individual biology can sometimes take a while but when the right med is found it can almost magically change lives.

Long may this last and thanks for letting us know!

- - What to know about: Telepsychiatry | Teletherapy - -

The opinions expressed above are based on my observations and, where applicable, interpretation of cited data and are general in nature. Consult your physician before acting on anything stated.

Page 73 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2363717273

Thread Information