Page 61 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Re: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Week 7 on 40mgs. Have had 3 rough days. Feeling nausea & panicky. I’m just so frustrated because I had 5 days of feeling normal last week. Starting to question whether fluoxetine is really the right drug for me but will keep pushing forward to Day 60 & see if there is any improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdaze View Post
    Have had 3 rough days. Feeling nausea & panicky. I’m just so frustrated because I had 5 days of feeling normal last week.
    Don't despair. This snakes and ladders yo-yo is usually a good sign. The good days show that the med can be effective once it fully kicks-in. The positive response is produced by biology, not chemistry, and it isn't always a linear progression. Fluoxetine often takes longer to kick-in than the other SSRIs because of its long half-life.

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdaze View Post
    Week 7 on 40mgs. Have had 3 rough days. Feeling nausea & panicky. I’m just so frustrated because I had 5 days of feeling normal last week. Starting to question whether fluoxetine is really the right drug for me but will keep pushing forward to Day 60 & see if there is any improvement.
    If not by now, withing the next week, you should be having more "up's" than downs.Like you said, I would give it another week or two and if your still having issue(s), I would talk with your doctor. Some folks, from what I've been reading, may take a little longer to "even out".

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Don't despair. This snakes and ladders yo-yo is usually a good sign. The good days show that the med can be effective once it fully kicks-in. The positive response is produced by biology, not chemistry, and it isn't always a linear progression. Fluoxetine often takes longer to kick-in than the other SSRIs because of its long half-life.
    Thanks pdu, you’re advice is sooo appreciated.

salu ian,
    I stopped the paxil because I wanted to get rid of this medicine . I developed cholesterol, and my plaques grew ; and I got tired of being on a drug .
    I'm starting Week 7 and I'm still not feeling well . and still at the same time around 5 pm and at this time a lot of cerebral zaps .
    I hope you're well .

Ps: what's this the "There are often blips "

Quote Originally Posted by velia View Post
    I stopped the paxil because I wanted to get rid of this medicine . I developed cholesterol, and my plaques grew ;
    Increases in cholesterol levels is a known paroxetine side-effect, however, fluoxetine usually lowers them.

I'm starting Week 7 and I'm still not feeling well . and still at the same time around 5 pm and at this time a lot of cerebral zaps .
    The 'zaps' are most likely a withdrawal symptom, possibly produced by the brain changes the antidepressant had made unraveling. I suspect that if you stopped taking the fluoxetine they wouldn't be any worse.

Ps: what's this the "There are often blips "
    Blips are, usually short, setbacks. They usually last only a few hours to a day, or two and are common some weeks after first talking an AD as it begins to become effective, however, they can occur at any time.

hi thanks for the reply .
    I'd like to know why my symptoms are worse than the other weeks .
    this started to get worse starting in Week 6 . do you have any idea ?

hi thanks for the reply .
    I'd like to know why my symptoms are worse than the other weeks .
    this started to get worse starting in Week 6 . do you have any idea ?
    Hard to say. You are on such a low dose that it can't do much to prevent symptoms and stress levels are never static, but ebbed and flow. You can either increase the dose to effective levels, or quit entirely. Quitting probably wouldn't be worse than what you are experiencing now.

hello ,
    if I goes up to 5 milligrams, I'm gonna have to redo the whole process . and do you think five milligrams will be enough ? I can't stop this .I have to wean off the little I have left.Thanks

hello ,
    if I goes up to 5 milligrams, I'm gonna have to redo the whole process . and do you think five milligrams will be enough ?
    I can't predict how much you will need to take to ease the withdrawal symptoms. Somewhere between 2mg to 5mg I suspect.

I can't stop this .I have to wean off the little I have left.Thanks
    Why do you need to wean off 2mg? The withdrawal from simply stopping now will likely be no worse than if you drop it by 0.1mg at a time, but you will suffer for longer with such a slow withdrawal. I suspect most of your issues are psychological, not chemical/physical because of what you've read on the other site, plus a resurgence of the underlying anxiety disorder.

Have you discussed your situation with your doctor, or a psychiatrist? What advice did they give you?

Page 61 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast

Thread Information