Page 58 of 83 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Re: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdaze View Post
    Would like a good excuse to snuggle up in a duvet & watch tv all day! But will push myself to get out again today.
    So do both. As a "reward" for forcing yourself to go outside and do something, when you come home, take a relaxing shower/bath, hit the couch/bed and watch some flix.
    Be sure to eat also and stay hydrated...

Just an update. Started week 5 of 40 mgs yesterday & have felt terrible for 3 days. Taken 1/2 lorazepam 2 out of 3 days to try & keep the panic attacks under control. I’m willing myself to hang on. Hopefully about to turn the corner. I was having the odd beer with dinner but I think I’ll give that away for the time being. Don’t know if it was helping matters!

Quote Originally Posted by Summerdaze View Post
    I was having the odd beer with dinner but I think I’ll give that away for the time being. Don’t know if it was helping matters!
    Probably not.

Anxiety and depression are the symptoms of atrophy of parts of the hippocampal regions of the brain caused by high brain stress hormone levels, particularly of cortisol, killing brain cells and inhibiting the growth of replacements (neurogenesis). ADs work by stimulating the growth of new cells. It is the new neurons and the interconnections they form which produce the therapeutic response, not the meds directly. For a more detailed explanations see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act.

The problem is alcohol is a CNS depressant which has the same affect on hippocampal neurogenesis as cortisol. Even relatively moderate drinking can reduce hippocampus neurogenesis by nearly half (see also: Morris SA, 2010; Crews FT, 2003).

The other thing to be aware of is that the AD+alcohol combo can produce unpredictable results. Some days you may be able to drink a herd of alcoholic elephants under the table without raising a sweat, on another half a pint might turn legs to rubber. Alcohol may also increase fluoxetine side-effects.

Quote Originally Posted by panic_down_under View Post
    Probably not.

Anxiety and depression are the symptoms of atrophy of parts of the hippocampal regions of the brain caused by high brain stress hormone levels, particularly of cortisol, killing brain cells and inhibiting the growth of replacements (neurogenesis). ADs work by stimulating the growth of new cells. It is the new neurons and the interconnections they form which produce the therapeutic response, not the meds directly. For a more detailed explanations see: Depression and the Birth and Death of Brain Cells (PDF) and How antidepressant drugs act.

The problem is alcohol is a CNS depressant which has the same affect on hippocampal neurogenesis as cortisol. Even relatively moderate drinking can reduce hippocampus neurogenesis by nearly half (see also: Morris SA, 2010; Crews FT, 2003).

The other thing to be aware of is that the AD+alcohol combo can produce unpredictable results. Some days you may be able to drink a herd of alcoholic elephants under the table without raising a sweat, on another half a pint might turn legs to rubber. Alcohol may also increase fluoxetine side-effects.
    Thanks PDU, makes perfect sense. I have woken up ok this morning (no alcohol last night) Will go & do a yoga class while the weather is abit cooler.

Hello everyone, I have been taking paxil 20mg for 6 years.
    I arrived at 2mg then I did not manage to go down lower; so I made a prozac direct switch;
    when I did I had balance losses and today I enter in my 5 weeks and I am still not stable. I still have balance losses and anxiety.
    I wonder if the dose of 2mg is sufficient .
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by velia View Post
    Hello everyone,
    to NMP, velia,

I have been taking paxil 20mg for 6 years.
    I arrived at 2mg then I did not manage to go down lower; so I made a prozac direct switch;
    when I did I had balance losses and today I enter in my 5 weeks and I am still not stable. I still have balance losses and anxiety.
    I wonder if the dose of 2mg is sufficient .
    So you switched from 2mg paroxetine (Paxil) to 2mg fluoxetine (Prozac) to make it easier to wean off antidepressants? If so, the switch should ideally have been done at 20mg. The problem is that at very low doses the impact of the drug is minimal, compounded by the very long fluoxetine half-life which means it takes a long time for blood plasma levels to stabilize - up to 30 days for fluoxetine itself and up to 80 days for its active metabolite norfluoxetine, which generates most of the therapeutic response. I think you need to discuss this with your doctor, but I don't see the point of continuing to take fluoxetine at such a low dose. Taking 5mg may ease the withdrawal effects, but whether it will make quitting easier in the long run is debatable, imho.

BTW-how are you taking the fluoxetine, in liquid form?

Hi
    thank you for your answer, I take prozac 20mg for 5ml . unfortunately, I don't trust my doctor.you think the 2mg are not enough .I took it precisely because I could not wean the paxil. I don't understand very well when you say "but I don't see the point of continuing to take fluoxetine at such a low dose. Taking 5mg may ease the withdrawal effects, which is the goal whether it will make quitting easier in the long run is debatable" sorry I'm French

Hi everyone. I see there are some recent posts and therefore there are still some people accessing this page!? I’m 4 weeks back on Prozac and been really struggling. This forum has been very useful and I will stick it out. I’m keen to chat to people at a similar point as I am. Also there is someone with a username called peachy. Do they still see this forum? X

Your post is encouraging

Quote Originally Posted by velia View Post
    I don't understand very well when you say "but I don't see the point of continuing to take fluoxetine at such a low dose. Taking 5mg may ease the withdrawal effects, which is the goal whether it will make quitting easier in the long run is debatable" sorry I'm French
    I meant that I am not convinced that quitting from 5mg fluoxetine in a few weeks, or months will be any easier than stopping now from 2mg fluoxetine even though you're not yet stabilised at this dose.

Page 58 of 83 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Thread Information