Page 62 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Re: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Hi I only see him next week but I know what he's going to tell me he's going to make me go up to 20mg . I usually see my general practitioner but he knows nothing ; I go to see a psychiatrist. I'll try to go back to 5mg . c is true that when I read the other forum should I never go up as much .and I also think the prozac is working because the last two weeks the anxiety has increased . this is my point of view
    Last edited by velia; 24-02-20 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by velia View Post
    Hi I only see him next week but I know what he's going to tell me he's going to make me go up to 20mg .
    In most developed countries psychiatrists cannot force you to take any medication except in few limited circumstances which at some point needs to be approved by the legal system.

I also think the prozac is working because the last two weeks the anxiety has increased . this is my point of view
    My point of view is that it is the underlying anxiety, plus your psychological reaction to the withdrawal symptoms.

I'm on week 6 and my ocd has gone ballistic.
    Weeks 3 and 4 were much better and I thought the meds were working but now I'm having wall to wall panic.
    Do I just keep going? I don't seem to fit the timeline. I'm going to read the whole thread later to see if anyone else had similar problems around week 6.

[QUOTE = losin; 1930055] Je suis en semaine 6 et mon ocd est devenu balistique.
    Les semaines 3 et 4 étaient bien meilleures et je pensais que les médicaments fonctionnaient, mais maintenant je panique mur à mur.
    Dois-je simplement continuer? Je ne semble pas correspondre à la chronologie. Je vais lire tout le fil plus tard pour voir si quelqu'un d'autre a eu des problèmes similaires vers la semaine 6. [/ QUOTE]

hi losin
    I'm like you it started to degrade at Week 6 and I don't know why . but I continue I'm at the 7 week what does ocd mean ?

Quote Originally Posted by losin View Post
    I'm on week 6 and my ocd has gone ballistic.
    Weeks 3 and 4 were much better and I thought the meds were working but now I'm having wall to wall panic.
    Do I just keep going? I don't seem to fit the timeline.
    It typically takes 4-12 weeks for an antidepressant to kick-in and fluoxetine tends to take longer than the others because of its very long half-life.

Talk to your GP about the OCD increase as there are ways of minimising the common initial spike in anxiety.

[QUOTE = losin; 1930055] Je suis en semaine 6 et mon ocd est devenu balistique.
    Les semaines 3 et 4 étaient bien meilleures et je pensais que les médicaments fonctionnaient, mais maintenant je panique mur à mur.
    Dois-je simplement continuer? Je ne semble pas correspondre à la chronologie. Je vais lire tout le fil plus tard pour voir si quelqu'un d'autre a eu des problèmes similaires vers la semaine 6. [/ QUOTE]

hi losin
    I'm like you it started to degrade at Week 6 and I don't know why . but I continue I'm at the 7 week what does ocd mean ?
    ocd is obsessive compulsive disorder. 😊

Willl do, panic down under. Thankyou 😊

you feeling better, losin ?

Hi ian I hope you're okay .
    I decided to stop the prozac . I met a pscychaitre yesterday and he told me there was no point in continuing at 1.65 mg . that needed to be increased to 20mg.
    so I took the desicion to stop .
    the other forum does not advise it . but I see I'm suffering too much. so one in the other there is no point . I wonder if I did the right thing to listen to them. even decreasing by 10% you still suffer. I ordered lasea capsule to help me I don't know if you know .
    thank you for your advice

I wonder if I did the right thing to listen to them. even decreasing by 10% you still suffer.
    They lack basic understanding of how ADs work, so I don't see what value they bring. It comes down to suffering withdrawal effects for a few weeks by stopping once the dose if down to a quarter of the minimum therapeutic dose, or suffering a little less for many months by weaning off by 0.1mg at a time which is frankly crazy. Your brain wouldn't register such a small decrease. Plus, reading all the horror stories on such sites just reinforces the belief that everyone will suffer greatly. It can easily become self-fulfilling because anxious brains are very adept at creating our worst nightmares for us if given the chance.

The other thing to remember is fluoxetine has a very long half-life, about 6 days for the parent compound, up to 16 days for its active metabolite, norfluoxetine, which does most of the work. So if you quit today the last of the fluoxetine won't be out of your body for about 30 days, and norfluoxetine could take nearly 12 weeks to be eliminated. That is a very slow taper anyway.

I ordered lasea capsule to help me I don't know if you know .
    Okay, but use it only if you need it. Avoid the temptation to take it just in case. You don't want to create a new problem.

thank you for your advice
    You're most welcome. Take care.

Ian

Page 62 of 83 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast

Thread Information