Page 7 of 83 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Re: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

It's so lovely to have a couple of people who understand to talk to about this! Aspire- I think you are a week ahead of me.
    Day 23 here- have had an anxious and depressed morning but am starting to pick up now at 1pm. For anyone else reading this- although I still feel rough it's nowhere near as bad as the first three weeks so hang in there. I can tell that this med is going to work for me which is great! However a way to go yet.

Hi

I'm currently on my fourth month of taking Fluoxetine for anxiety and depression and I can honestly say this medication for me has changed my life. It has taken three to four months for me to feel that my anxiety is somewhat controlable to a point where anxiety no longer overtakes my life. Prior to me taking this medication on a daily basis I was anxious, had depressed feelings thoughout the day, lost most of my motivation, was no neagtive all the time, stressed and angry. Now after four months I'm no longer depressed, I'm more postive, I no longer get anywhere near as stressed and angry like I use to. The first few weeks can be tough when you first start it as it takes four to eight weeks (I think!) for the medication to kick in so hang in there! The first few weeks my anxiety and depression did get worse which my doctor said was normal as with this sort of medication you may feel worse before you start to feel better. My side effects were headaches, weight loss, few days here and there of insomnia, and in the first few weeks extreme tiredness. Side effects do generally get easier as the weeks go by. In the past month I've changed jobs which I woud'nt of been able to of done four months ago. Anyone ever needs a chat about Fluxoetine PM me

Hi, I am now on day 30 of taking prozac and still continuing to improve. Side effects are pretty much gone now and the anxiety is diminishing although still present. This forum has been a life saver as without the shared knowledge and support of others I would have certainly given up after 3 weeks. I am so glad I have continued and I am looking forward to feeling even better in the coming weeks. Thanks to all!!

I'm very pleased to read that aspire- glad that day 30 isn't far off for me. I've read that fluoxetine takes 30-60 days to reach a steady state in the bloodstream so that makes sense! I'm really struggling in the mornings still- I wake up with an anxious tummy and with a feeling of doom and gloom. Is this normal? Worried I'm going to need an increased dose. Did. Anyone else have this? I can see it on the timetable so I'm assuming it's normal.

Glad you are doing so well Punky- it gives me hope!

Hi Peachy,
    So many people including myself wondered the same thing at your stage, am I going to need to increase my dose? No wonder, this medication is so slow and there are set backs. But, just from my own experience and from most of those that shared, increasing at 4-8 weeks is too soon. Even at 12 weeks I was wondering but now I know my original dosage, 20mg has worked just fine. The downside to increasing dosage is, the side effects get worse again and it seems to make the recovery period even slower. From the sounds of it, you are right on course to recovery. As always, my best!

Hi Peachy, yes I understand it does take 6-8 weeks to really start to work. I had exactly the same thoughts as you just over a week ago, I didn't think it was working for me at 20mg/day. I was feeling terrified that I would have to increase to 40mg/day and start all over again with the awful side effects. The advice from my Dr was definitely don't increase the dose. Better days also advised hold the course.

I also wake in the morning feeling anxious still, but the level of anxiety is markedly reducing, especially, it really diminished once I got to the 5 week mark.

Onwards and upwards now, good luck with your journey.

Thank you all so much for putting your experiences on here so honestly. Your comments have stopped me from giving up the flu. I'm on day 38 (51/2weeks) and it's been tricky...putting it mildly! I have tried to keep working but found my job hard to do properly and felt I was putting pressure on others if I took time out. I having taken a couple days this week to try and get some breathing space. I take fluoxetine for anxiety and although the side effects are easing the anxiety is still there and I do worry when/ if it will leave. I shall keep reading all these encouraging posts and hopefully things will improve.

Hi peachy pips, how are you doing today?

Hi Blue- thanks for asking! I'm on day 28 (I think!) and am much the same- ok in arvo and eve but waking up bleurgh. How are you getting on?

Day 40 for me and the same mornings not so good but afternoon and evenings feeling pretty 'normal'. I do think there's light at the end of the tunnel now. I'm glad I have persevered aren't you? Are you managing to get in the Christmas spirit?

Page 7 of 83 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast

Thread Information