Page 70 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Re: A timetable for recovery on Fluoxetine / prozac

Quote Originally Posted by KayMK View Post
    So it's 14 weeks for me on Monday and I can honestly say I'm feeling great.
    I'm mostly back to my old self.
    That is very good news!!

ADs can be truly awful meds at the beginning, but when they work they can almost miraculously change lives.

It was pretty much spot on 12 weeks that I noticed the proper improvement.
    Because of its very long half-life fluoxetine often takes quite a while to kick-in and that is even more the case if it has been taken before.

I don't intend to stop taking the medication for a VERY long time!

I'm OK with that.
    Probably a very good idea. Provided any ongoing side-effects don't affect life too much there are few downsides to taking ADs long term. I've been on my current one for nearly 25 years, and on ADs almost continually since early 1987. So far they haven't yet caused my brain to dissolv...Oh!

I felt at the beginning like I had failed and gone backwards but that's the illness talking.
    Anxiety (also depression) are the emotional symptoms of a physical brain disorder caused by what is arguably a form of auto immune response. Taking ADs for them is no more a failure than taking meds for Type 1 diabetes or arthritis.

Probably a very good idea. Provided any ongoing side-effects don't affect life too much there are few downsides to taking ADs long term. I've been on my current one for nearly 25 years, and on ADs almost continually since early 1987. So far they haven't yet caused my brain to dissolv...Oh!

Well my brain was pretty mushy anyway so we probably won't notice too much difference 😂
    How's that angry sheep in lockdown?

Quote Originally Posted by KayMK View Post
    How's that angry sheep in lockdown?
    The sheep are okay, but the angry bird has been missing in action for about a week. Maybe it succumbed to the dreaded virus. It's been replaced by a rabbit which has decided I'm not a threat and just faces away when it sees me and flashes its white rear at me. Such insolence needs to be addressed. I'm quite partial to plump bunny stew. It was a staple of my adolescence.

mmmm, bunny stew 😁 I've been on 40mg for 2 weeks now and the jumpyness seems to be subsiding. The tinnitus has gotten worse but I had a good day yesterday which gives me hope.

Quote Originally Posted by losin View Post
    mmmm, bunny stew 😁
    I'll set a place at the table for you. Of course there will be the mandatory 14 days in quarantine, but it will likely be in a 4 or 5 star hotel so it shouldn't be too unbearable.

I've been on 40mg for 2 weeks now and the jumpyness seems to be subsiding. The tinnitus has gotten worse but I had a good day yesterday which gives me hope.
    Tinnitus is one of the weirdest medication side-effects as it can be triggered either by starting a med, or stopping it, occasional it occurs at both ends of the treatment. And many meds can trigger it, everything from aspirin to Zyrtec. Have you discussed it with your GP? Sometimes just a couple of benzodiazepine doses will stop it cold.

Asked the doc this week and it was a big no to benzo's. I thought they'd refuse as they said no before when I had insomnia for a couple of years 😑😑😑

Asked the doc this week and it was a big no to benzo's. I thought they'd refuse as they said no before when I had insomnia for a couple of years 😑😑😑
    Yeah, because after 2 valium you'll be sticking cards in phone boxes advertising your...um...services to feed your new habit! Sigh!!

So what is s/he doing about the ringing?

Basically put up with it and see if it disappears on its own 😣

Would nitrazepam be worth a try? My father has those to help him sleep. I wonder if it would be worth trying a couple of those.

Basically put up with it and see if it disappears on its own 😣
    Ah, apparently a proponent of medicine being the art of keeping the patient amused until nature cures...or not.

Would nitrazepam be worth a try? My father has those to help him sleep. I wonder if it would be worth trying a couple of those.
    It might, but I don't recommend it. It will likely just put you out like a light for some time. It's a very potent hypnotic. I find it interesting that your father can get Mogodon even though BZDs are of limited use as sedatives because of the rapid onset of tolerance, but you can't get a couple of BZDs to possibly nuke tinnitus. The ways of the medical profession sometimes defy understanding by mere lesser mortals.

Page 70 of 83 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280 ... LastLast

Thread Information