Thread: prescribed pregabalin.. shocked!!

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

prescribed pregabalin.. shocked!!

Medication history
    Like many other people with anxiety I have tried the SSRI lottery.. Where the doctor picks one of them out of a hat and asks you to give it a go for a couple of months! Most of them made me worse. I tried:
    Citalopram
    Fluoxtine
    Sertraline

Then last week I said enough is enough no more SSRI's!! I was given Propranolol 40mg x 3 daily. I think they help slight.. With my shaky hands and I thought they helped my tricotillmania (hair pulling) until last night I destroyed my beard !

Anyways the other day I had read lots of things about pregabalin .. Most good, some bad.. I rang up and some different doctor spoke to me and basically said no no no no you can't try that, I will try you on another SSRI. I said thanks for your time but no I won't.

So today I booked a appointment with a different doctor.. Told him my history.. And said I want to try something different but wanted his advice.. He asked me if I had anything in mind? I handed him a peice of paper with all the medicines I had tried and the reasons i didnt like each of them.. Then i wrote down the name of pregabalin at the bottom with a question mark.

He replied well I wouldn't recommended any other SSRI since I'd already got the t shirt for most of them, but he had never prescribed pregabalin for anxiety. I mentioned it was on the NHS website so he got out a couple of his books and said yep your right, its in here! He agreed to try it and booked me in for another appointment with him in 2 weeks. Think he started me on a low dose for first few weeks as we both new to this.

I thought he was the best doctor I have seen, because of the way he spoke to me and did not just dismiss me because he hadn't heard of it before! Plus he ran me through what to expect like side effects, which my normal GP doesn't! Very easy to talk to, sometimes it can be nerve racking speaking to these random strangers about your problems! But I find it easier than talking to friends and family!

So I am on 50mg 3x daily (150mg)
    Anybody else had this with propranolol?
    Or had bad/good experiences with GP'S when asking to try new meds?

Only had first dose and not feeling dizzy which was my main concern! Going to a anniversary party tonight, so I will report back on how I handled it!
    Last edited by A Nervous Nigel; 11-07-14 at 19:28.

Thread Information