Thread: Is fluoxetine working for you?

Is fluoxetine working for you?

I used to be on 15mg escitalopram, but felt like it wasn't working properly anymore for my anxiety. So I was switched to fluoxetine, 20mg. I'm coming to the end of week 4 and I feel awful! I'm tired, but wake early. I've tried taking it in the morning, I've tried taking it at night. Either way, it's not working out. My appetite is off. I feel really really low and anxious. Does this get better or is prozac just really awful?

Re: Is fluoxetine working for you?

Hi, it's not unusual for prozac to take a good 6-8 weeks to really start working. 10-12 weeks is where it seems to be full strength. I'm guessing you are about to see some improvement soon, most do around 4-5 weeks!. Personally, I would hold off on any changes until 8 weeks.
    It's tough, hang in there!

Btw, the appetite thing is typical, I think my appetite started coming back around 6 weeks. If you would, please read my post :A timetable for recovery.

pennyjoann, unfortunately 4 weeks is not enough time to know if fluox is going to work for you. betterdays does have a great post that he mentioned in the above post. it is worth a read. have you improved at all in four weeks? are you worse than when you started the fluox? if at all possible, try to give it six weeks. if you continue to be miserable, though, see your doc and see if there is anything he can give you to help with the side effects while you are waiting for the fluox to work.

thanks for the advice guys, the doctor assessed me last week and took me straight off it. I understand it takes longer to take effect but it was just progressively making me feel worse, like I was sinking into a black hole, and when I start having thoughts that I'd rather just not live, I know I need to do something. I've started 50mg zoloft, 4 days in and though I'm very anxious, the depression has lifted some which is a nice relief. Hoping this one works for me!

I too have just started taking Sertraline (Zoloft)...

I'm about 10 weeks in..

I did get some anxiety in the early days but it eased off fairly quickly although I have just been increased from 50mg to 100mg as I wasn't really noticing a difference.

Fingers crossed it will make things better. Gimme a pm if you need a Zoloft buddy

Andy

Thread Information