Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MS Anxiety or B12?

MS Anxiety or B12?

Hey, I've been very worried recently about my symptoms, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same or could shed some light on to what could be causing these symptoms.

• Burning in the left forearm
    • Burning down both knees and down the left leg and foot
    • Perceived weakness in my legs
    • Tightness in my neck muscles and shoulder

I was diagnosed with B12 deficency 3 months ago. And I received 5 shots in 2 weeks and just got my shot that I get every 3 months. But I never had any of these symptoms before I got the shots. My level was 150.

I was feeling very run down and sore and tight which is why I got the levels tested and since then the B12 has taken away the tightness and soreness etc but I have developed a burning sensation that comes and goes during the day.

I'm still mobile and able to climb mountains etc, but this has been on my mind every day for the past 2 months. and I'm wondering if it's anxiety, B12 or possibly MS?

Thanks for reading.

Re: MS Anxiety or B12?

I don't think you can ever over estimate what physical symptoms anxiety can cause. I had all sorts of physical symptoms for months and months, even when I didn't think I was anxious. It was only when at a sub conscious level that I stopped being so wound up that the symptoms diminished.

Thanks for your reply,

I was just wondering can anxiety really cause burning feeling even when the skin is touched sometimes it feels like it is wet. I'm wondering if you know anything about MS whether this would just come and go, and this would be the only symptom or whether there would be others. I had a quick neurologcal exam at the doctors office and I passed all of it. Co-ordination muscle strength reflexes etc.

SarahH is offline Most Naughty-ish Member Ever

You could try asking your question on an MS website.

sarah

Hi Andrew.

I apologise this answer is brief as I'm on a hurry out somewhere, but have a look at some of my recent replies on this issue.

The reason MS causes symptoms is because it causes demyelenation. Myelin can be thought of as the rubber insulation of the nerve fibres of the brain and spinal cord. In MS your immune system attacks the myelin of a tiny part of the brain or spinal cord, then the functions that particular part of brain or spinal cord controls stop functioning correctly. Over a number of weeks or months your body repairs this myelin and then months, years or decades later it happens again (at the early stages).

For this reason symptoms that come and go or move around very much point away from MS.

By the way you might read that MS symptoms can come and go. However this is only true in the very latter stages of the disease, where your body has repaired the myelin so many times it's basically no more than scar tissue so malfunctions occasionally. In such circumstances this is where someone has previously had that symptom continuously for a long period, usually more than once over many years. If this were true in your case you would have had it for years and it would be very developed, and wouldn't be passing your GP's neuro exam with flying colours.

So your symptoms, from my uneducated understanding, point very much away from MS and towards anxiety.

How can anxiety cause these symptoms? Well a synonym of "anxiety" is "nervousness": it's characteristically an illness that affects nerves. In other words anxiety and MS are disorders of the same part of the body, namely the central nervous system. When you have anxiety the constantly high levels of adrenaline in your body make your nervous system hypersensitive, which over a prolonged period can cause it to become simply exhausted, and it starts misfiring. Hence many people get things like Benign Fasciculation Syndrome secondary to anxiety, for example. If you have any doubts as to the power of the mind over the nervous system have a look at FND, which can leave people completely paralysed; I'm not suggesting for a second you actually have anything as extreme as this but merely using it as an example of what psychological issues can produce. You'll be amazed to hear that functional symptoms (that is, neurological symptoms caused by some somatic element and not by any disease or damage to the nervous system) are actually one of the most common things neurologists see.

For what it's worth I am in the same boat as you, I've been having extreme neurological symptoms for nearly a year now. I've been through the awful times of being convinced beyond all doubt I have MS. I couldn't unlearn all the nasty things Dr. Google told me (please don't google this any more, you'll go mad) so I did what I do best as an academic and educated myself on how the disease actually works and presents. It's only through understanding that there are only about a dozen neurological symptoms but hundreds of neurological diseases that I've been able to comprehend that the way doctors can tell one from the others is through their pattern, not the list of symptoms.

---------- Post added at 20:44 ---------- Previous post was at 20:43 ----------

Quote Originally Posted by SarahH View Post
    You could try asking your question on an MS website.

sarah
    I strongly advise against this.
    Last edited by Serenity1990; 16-07-14 at 20:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyreww View Post
    Thanks for your reply,

I was just wondering can anxiety really cause burning feeling even when the skin is touched sometimes it feels like it is wet. I'm wondering if you know anything about MS whether this would just come and go, and this would be the only symptom or whether there would be others. I had a quick neurologcal exam at the doctors office and I passed all of it. Co-ordination muscle strength reflexes etc.
    Personally I think that you would be well advised to follow the advice of a doctor rather than a group of people on an Internet forum with no medical qualifications as far as a I know.

I believe that anxiety can cause many many things.

I do know people with MS and I would suggest that it varies from one person to another. Given that a dr isn't concerned though, I would be inclined to suggest that you are probably fine and would be better served trying to figure out why you don't trust their advice and try to tackle some of the underlying anxiety issues.

Hey Serenity thanks for the informative post, I've a few questions about it if you don't mind.

Are you sure that MS symptoms do not come and go in an hourly basis, get worst at times, and then leave in the same way they came, suddenly.

The burning is generally confined to the same areas now, my left leg, both feet, and left arm. are whole limbs affected in MS or is it just certain parts?

Thanks for any advice anyone is willing and has given, it's appreciated

They could get worse at times, but coming and going would be incredibly atypical. When the myelin is damaged it's damaged, the damage doesn't come and go, but takes a long time to repair. There's no reason it should affect an entire limb though.

However I'm interested in your wording "generally confined to the same areas now". At some point was it not confined to to the same areas and does it still move around just not as much?

Speak to the doctor if you are really worried. However I think common sense suggests it is far more likely to be a mixture of the B12 and anxiety, rather than MS which is really quite rare.

Serenity - please don't take this the wrong way........

Are you a neurologist, or a trained medical professional? If not, I would guard against giving this level of advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information