Thread: 2 years of fast heartbeat- what should I do?

Question 2 years of fast heartbeat- what should I do?

Hi there,
    so I've had varying levels of anxiety all my life, coupled with other mental disorders. usually I dont have panic or anxiety attacks per se.. maybe just once in a while.

However. something changed a couple years ago.
    My heart rate used to be consistently 60 or 70 bpm, and almost never changed. Even if I went running my heart rate stayed the same.

Then suddenly I noticed that my blood pressure (measured) and heart rate changed. The blood pressure wasn't a big deal, it's at a normal level mostly, maybe above normal, on systolic, and low on dystolic. (slightly raised pulse pressure- 55 ish)...

The main issue is my heart rate.
    I'd say that a big percentage of the time my heart rate is at about 110 bpm. It was never this high before and it's really uncomfortable. it's been going on for 2 years.

I've been to the doc before. No abnormality on ECG. I did a 48 hour holter monitor which said my heart rate's average is 90 bpm.. low was in the 40's and high was in the 140's. The report said that I had episodes of Sinus Tachycardia... which to my knowledge generally isn't cause for concern, but it could be if sustained. (BTW, I DO NOT get white coat syndrome, and the holter monitor was at home, following my regular every day heart beat. but I think it may be faster now according to my last BP readings on the machine.. it gets faster than 120 bpm sometimes for no reason.. at random times for no reason. even if im just sitting around. and it stays like that for a few hours or has slight variation all day long)

This was , like I said, 1.5 years ago. Since then I haven't bothered even going to the doctor because they just automatically tell me it's anxiety.

Thing is, this heart rate issue happens regardless of my level of actual anxiety. I might be fine but my heart rate goes fast.

Also, sometimes the heart rate is a hard palpitation, that not only i can notice but also my friends and my girlfriend. Other times, it's not palpitating, it's not even noticable, but it is still going fast.

Quick specs about me:
    I'm 5'11 and 140 pounds.
    I have a well-rounded diet that doesn't really include junk foods. Mostly veggies, meat, rice/potatoes, some fruits, salads etc.
    I am not extremely active, but I am fit in the sense that I can go on long walks or go dancing for 4 hours without much issue.

Last year I thought maybe I didn't excersise enough (I sit on the computer all day pretty much) , so I went swimming about 3 times a week for an hour each time. i thought maybe this type of excersise would help to lower my heart rate in the long run. It didn't.

Oh last year my iron levels were also low. Not quite anemic, but iron depleted. I think the iron levels are at about 40 last time I checked, which is better than it was last year at 21. the low end of reference range is 22 here. The iron doesn't seem to provide a benefit directly when I'm taking it. I take it on and off because sometimes when I take it it gives me side effects that I cant handle. i try to take it for as long as possible then take breaks.

Also , I have chronic insomnia which is pretty bad. I've dealt with this to a degree by using low dose trazodone and pregabalin. (i know trazodone can cause tachycardia, but the dose is very low, also notice no difference between taking and not taking it, and i started taking it long after this problem began). So over the past year and some, I've gained back a lot of sleep... but still have tachycardia!!!!!!

I've also taken anxiety medications or herbs that do help my anxiety in the short term. For example, etizolam, passion flower/lemon balm, the pregabalin does as well... probably more I'm not mentioning. However, the heart is still going fast.

So what's your recommendation? What should I tell my doctor? What sort of tests should I have done? I don't like blaming everything on anxiety because it seems a bit like being superstitious. It could be anxiety but I like to actually explore physical options first. I can't be left with this fast heart beat because it likely will shorten my life. That, and it's really annoying and uncomfortable, but docs keep defaulting to the "take some escitalopram now" attitude. (which btw would make it way worse because it messes up my sleep).. or like "you are stressed/have anxiety"... dude.. my frikkin heart is racing.. whether i have anxiety or not.. i need answers!!!

Also is there a med that can slow down the heart? I know beta blockers could do the trick, though I don't want to mess with my blood pressure much. Plus I dont want to take beta blockers if there is something infact wrong with my heart.
    Last edited by fotia; 16-07-14 at 21:59. Reason: had to add thign about sinus tach

Re: 2 years of fast heartbeat- what should I do?

A slim person without anxiety but has a fast and otherwise normal heart rate and trouble sleeping?

The obvious thing to check is your thyroid for hyperthyroidism. I notice you don't mentioned being tested for it, so that's definitely something to look into.

Edit: I noticed one website says it increases systolic and reduces diastolic pressure too. Interesting.
    Last edited by Aaahhfreakout; 17-07-14 at 12:29.

Agreed about the thyroid testing. I have been amazed at the MASSIVE list of symptoms that can be brought on by a problem with your thyroid.

If you get your doctor to test it make sure you ask for more than just the standard TSH levels but demand T3 and T4 too. And even if the levels come back "fine" according to your doctor don't hesitate to ask for a referral to an Endocrinologist.

I found the Facebook page "Thyroid Sexy" absolutely brilliant

The rates you mentioned from the holter are actually pretty normal for a person your age. You can mention it to your doctor but I think he/she will echo what I just said.

Positive thoughts
    "Eat. Drink. Enjoy the work you do. Be thankful for the blessings God gives you in this life. Live, love and seek out the things that bring your heart joy. The rest is meaningless... Like chasing the wind." King Solomon

The best help is the help you give yourself! http://cbt4panic.org/

I’ve had heart palpitations for over a year, particularly after meals, but on their own as well, without obvious reason. Mine were most likely initially brought on by the intake of iodine (1.5 mg). I am among few that are very sensitive to it. I’ve had tests with my cardiologist and was told that there were no issues with my heart. However since my tachycardia was debilitating I did some research on the internet on the possible causes. I created a supplement list for myself to treat this condition. It is definitely working for me. I am feeling much better now. I want to share it with you.

Provided your doctor ruled out heart disease according to my findings palpitations can be caused but of course not limited to the following 7 reasons:

1. Electrolyte imbalance (brought on by meds, supplements, medical conditions etc). Tests might not always show the lack of electrolytes or their imbalance. Solution: supplement with magnesium (200-400 mg/day. I use Magnesium Citramate.) Possibly increase salt intake (unrefined gray sea salt or Himalayan salt) especially if you also have low blood pressure. I took ½ tsp Himalayan salt with water every day. Possibly take potassium if tests show you are low. However, if you have adrenal issues (explained below) be careful with too much potassium as it is a sodium antagonist and may exacerbate sodium deficiency (yes, you might be deficient in sodium!). Some foods are very high in potassium like apricots, bananas, dates etc)
    2. Anemia (either classic as iron deficiency, or B12 deficiency). Low hemoglobin and ferritin levels (iron deficiency anemia) have an increased risk of experiencing rapid heartbeats after meals, due to weakened heart muscles. This symptom is often accompanied with fatigue, easy tiring, drowsiness and dizziness.
      However overload of iron can also cause heart palpitations so don’t supplement without a comprehensive iron panel test. Overload can be caused by hereditary condition called Chemochromatosis, as well as iron overdose. If you find you are anemic (iron deficient) take Iron Bisglycinate (well absorbed, doesn’t cause too much stomach issues) or if you have B12 deficiency take Methylcobalamin preferably in a sublingual form
    3. Cortisol deficiency due to prolonged period of stress or inflammation (also called adrenal fatigue or adrenal insufficiency). Both stress and inflammation might not be obvious. Stress can be on a chronic continuous background level. Inflammation might also be hidden and caused by food sensitivities (dairy, soy, eggs, wheat, nuts, nightshades, alcohol, MSG), parasites, viruses, gut bacterial overgrowth etc. There is Adrenal panel saliva test that you can take. Adrenal glands are responsible for producing Cortisol along with other important hormones. Cortisol deficiency causes low blood pressure, fatigue, heart palps, inability to handle stress, brain fog, depression, anxiety, low thyroid function among other symptoms. In my case I had low Cortisol and very low blood pressure (90/60), fatigue, anxiety.

To rebuild your adrenals take:
    a. Vitamic C (2-5 g/day) I like sodium ascorbate but you can certainly take more expensive and effective Liposomal form of vitamin C;
    b. Vitamin E as D-Alpha Tocopherol (natural form) (400 IU);
    c. Vitamin B complex (paying attention to B3 (125 mg), B5(1500 mg), B6(50 mg), B7-Biotin (200 mg), B12 (500 mg). I wouldn’t recommend B complex in one pill as a lot of people report feeling fatigued after taking B complex. This might be due to Folic acid (B9) and/or B6. Folic acid is a synthetic form of folate which some people cannot metabolize. As a result it can accumulate in the body and cause problems. Buy folic acid separately in a form of Folate (as L-5-Methyltetrahydrofolate or 5-MTHF ) (400 mcg). B6 should be in a form of Pyridoxal 5′-Phosphate or P5P (methylated form).
    d. Also take Vitamin D3 (2500IU). Vit D3 is vital for your health. Nearly every tissue and cell type in your body has receptors for vitamin D. Some doctors go as far as claim that breast cancer for example is vitamin D deficiency. I think it’s importance should not be overlooked. Low vitamin D is associated with so many diseases that it’s probably a good idea to keep your levels up. It is recommended to take Vit D3 together with vitamin K2 (to avoid soft tissue calcification). There are a lot of brands that use that combination in one preparation. I use liquid D3 with K2 by Pure Encapsulations. You want to make sure you're staying within the therapeutic range of 45-60 ng/ml of 25 hydroxy D (blood test for D3) year-round.
    e. Magnesium (200-400 mg);
    f. CoQ10 in a form of Ubiquinol (Kaneka QH- the reduced, active antioxidant form of Coenzyme Q10). It is an amazing stuff. It strengthens your mitochondria, strengthens your heart. 100-200 mg (You can also try D-Ribose and/or PQQ);
    g. Zinc Carnosine 30mg or Zink Orotate (Apart from multiple very important functions in the body zink can restore Copper-zinc ratio which is unbalanced in some people leading to copper overload and thyroid/adrenal issues);
    h. Phosphatidyl serine (evidence suggests that PS can help declining mental function and depression). 100-300 mg/day;
    i. Amino-acid L-Tyrosine (stress relief, cognitive enhancement, thyroid function improvement);
    j. 5HTP (100-300 mg/day- stress relief, cognitive enhancement);
    k. Fermented Cod liver oil (1tsp/day)- reduces inflammation, improves cognitive function.
    l. If you have low blood pressure accompanying your low cortisol (late stages of adrenal fatigue) take ½-1 tsp of Himalayan or unrefined sea salt every morning.
    m. You can also try botanicals. There are a whole lot of them including: Ashwaganda, Licorice root (can increase blood pressure), Shizandra, Rhodiola, Bacopa monniera, Tulsi (Holy basil), Eleutherococcus (Siberian ginseng) etc. Some of them however can increase heart palpitations since they can also stimulate your nervous system. I found that Ashwaganda and Bacopa are the safest. Don’t buy blends of several botanicals because if you get heart palps from them you’ll never guess which component caused them.
    n. Some people take Glandulars (Adrenal cell extract from bovine sources) and hormones- Pregnenelone and DHEA. I would be very careful with them because all of them can exacerbate heart palps even in very low doses.
    o. Clean up your diet. Try to phase out wheat and other gluten containing grains like barley and rye. Try eliminating dairy for 3-4 weeks and see how you feel. Eliminating dairy was an eye opener for me. If you have serious gut issues you would have to go on an elimination diet (eliminate wheat, soy, nuts, nightshades, dairy, eggs for a month and then reintroduce them one by one for 3 consecutive days and see how you feel).
    p. Try and eliminate coffee (can exacerbate low cortisol issues), plus it stimulates nervous system. Try switching to de-caf and see how you feel.
    q. For digestion improvement- take Probiotics ( I use Bio-Kult but it is rather pricey); L-Glutamine (for gut lining healing); Bone broth (for gut lining healing and minerals); Beef liver (for nutrients) especially vit A and iron; Fermented Cod liver oil (to heal inflammation in the gut, also good source of vitamins A, D and K); Zinc Carnosine 30mg) (Orotate)- gut, thyroid, immunity; Digestive enzymes including Protease DPP-IV (1000); Stomach acid- Betaine HCL or Betaine or TMG
    4. Thyroid disease like Hashimoto (intermittent hyper and hypo-thyroidism) or Graves (hyperthyroidism). In both cases the result could be that too many thyroid hormones are released into blood at one time which can cause heart palps. There are tests for autoimmune thyroid disease that you can take. In a lot of cases Hashimoto can be caused or exacerbated by wheat intolerance or other food allergies/sensitivities, cortisol deficiency, infections/inflammation, lack in nutrients like Selenium, Zink, Iodine, Magnesium, Iron, Vit A. High copper can also inhibit thyroid function. The solution is all of the above adrenal support supplements paying special attention to gluten and dairy elimination, supplements like Selenium, Zink, Iodine (starting VERY LOW (mcg not mg) and always with SELENIUM), Coconut oil (improves thyroid function), thyroid glandulars if needed (sources of thyroid hormones); Low dose Naltraxone (immune modulator- need prescription); Moducare (modulates immune system); Anatabloc (Anatabine reduces inflammation, modulates immune system, reduces thyroid antibodies) etc.
    5. Problems with the Vagus Nerve.
    Some people report feeling bloated together with heart palpitations. A lot of people report having acid reflux. If you have acid reflux you are bound to have gas/bloating symptoms as well since acid reflux is one of the symptoms of slow emptying of the stomach due to different problems including food sensitivities, low stomach acid, SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) etc. The Vagus Nerve is long and travels throughout the body, from the brain to the heart to the stomach. An irritated Vagus nerve can cause a feeling of an irregular heartbeat and feeling lightheaded. One of the things that can cause Vagus nerve irritation is the excess gas in your stomach. As your stomach expands this sensitive nerve will come under pressure, sending haywire signals to your brain and heart.
    Immediate help: deep breathing to relax; change body position to relieve pressure, drink some water, take digestive aid like ginger pills, DGL PLUS, digestive enzymes, Betaine HCL (before food and if you have no acid reflux).
    Ultimate solution: change your diet. Go on elimination diet and see which foods cause problems (see above). In my case eating eggplants (nightshade family) for 2 consecutive days results in months of indigestion. And dairy consumption in the morning (milk with my coffee) results in constant acid reflux all day no matter what I eat.
    How to eliminate acid reflux.
    In most cases it is caused by bacterial overgrowth which results in too much gas produced by bacteria in your small intestine which in turn creates upward pressure with food and acid bubbling upwards into your esophagus. Solution: temporarily eliminate all fermentable (by bacteria in your gut) forms of carbohydrates (all fruits, all veggies apart from carrots, most grains apart from Jasmin rice (absorbed almost entirely leaving nothing for bacteria to eat), ALL dairy apart from butter (if tolerated)). You might find you can tolerate some forms of potatoes. Don’t overdose on fat as it slows down digestion. You can eat all forms of meat provided you are not allergic to them. When acid reflux is totally gone (might take from a couple of days to a couple of weeks) reintroduce veggies and fruits, first in a cooked form with cellulose broken down. Start taking stomach acid pills (Betaine HCL with Pepsin) especially when you eat protein. Start with 1 pill (about 650 mg), increase by one each day. When you experience sensation of warmth in your stomach and/or sore/burning throat from acid vapors- reduce the dose to the previous well tolerated number of pills. (1-3). Most people with acid reflux have low stomach acid and stomach acid is essential for proper digestion.
    And of course all of the above digestive supplements like Probiotics, Zinc, L-Glutamine etc.
    6. Hypoglycemia
    Iatrogenic hypoglycemia in diabetics (recurrent episodes of hypoglycemia that result from the treatment of diabetes), and reactive or postprandial (occurring after a meal) hypoglycemia in certain non-diabetics, is characterized by a fall of blood glucose levels below 70 mg/dL, after the consumption of a high-carbohydrate meal. Such a decline leads to the release of epinephrine (adrenaline) which reduces glucose utilization by peripheral tissues, stimulates hepatic glucose production, and also leads to an increase in the heart rate. This is manifested as palpitation, dizziness and trembling. In addition, one may also experience sweating, headache and blurred vision.
    Hypoglycemia may also be the result of rapid gastric emptying, a condition characterized by the quick passage of undigested food from stomach to small intestine. In such individuals, symptoms like nausea, vomiting, abdominal cramping and fatigue may be present along with heart palpitations after eating.
    Solution: limit your carb intake, clean up your diet (see above). I used to have to eat every 3 hours, sometimes less. Otherwise I would get nausea, sometimes hand trembling and dizziness. And I was not a diabetic. I decided to go reasonably low carb (60-80g of pure carbs/day) for 2 weeks. The results blew me away because 1 week on this new diet and my nausea was gone. I could have 5 hour break between meals with no problems. Even after 6 hours I would get hungry, but not crazy hungry like before when I medically needed to eat otherwise it felt like I would die. Try low carbs folks. It’s incredible. Don’t go too low, unless you can’t tolerate carbs at all. 40-80g is quite sufficient (you would have to do math all day in the beginning though).
    7. Hiatal Hernia
    I am throwing it in here because it is a possibility. My doc did suspect it and I had to have a gastroscopy to rule it out. Only a small percentage of people would have this and it is very rarely life threatening so relax.
    Hiatal hernia is a condition where a portion of stomach protrudes into the chest through the thoracic diaphragm. It can be the result of weakening of muscles owing to old age, obesity, smoking, congenital factors and gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD). Such hiatal hernia often leads to irritation of the vagus nerve, which causes chest pain and racing heartbeats. It may be accompanied with heartburn, difficulty in swallowing and heavy breathing.
    Hope that helps.
    Be healthy, be safe.

Love,
    Dila

Also, Sinus Tachycardia is the hearts natural pace maker being effected by an outside source, such as exercise, stress, flu, fear etc - it is absolubtly 100% normal, every heart on the earth has it every single day... If you didn't have it, that's when you'd be worried and at your age Sinus Tachacardia can go up to 200bpm and still be perfectly normal.

As for you thinking it may not be anxiety - you don't need to be in a psychological state of worry for stress and anxiety to be affecting your body. The very fact that you are monitoring this, posting on forums and regularly checking your pulse shows, at the very least, you are in a state of apprehension for spotting a symptom, or for symptoms to still be there.

Apprehension raises blood pressure, heart rate, adrenaline levels and other stress hormones.

You are also showing signs of sensitisation, which is a classic anxiety issue. A pulse of 110 most of the time is not fast and should not be uncomfortable - heck, people with Atrial Fibrillation can have an irregular skipping pulse at 180bpm and often not even notice until a doctor points it out. That's because people without anxiety have never even thought of checking their pulse

Your tuning your nerves in to your chest to monitor for symptoms, this then causes your nerves to exhaggerate sensations to report to your brain, almost like turning the volume up. The exhaggersted signal alarms you as you think, "wow - I can feel something", causes more monitoring and more amplification of sensations. Rinse and repeat.

As for spikes in your heart rate, low levels of adrenaline and other stress hormones can totally do that. They make a seemingly calm body and nervous systems a bit jumpy and over react, so changes in posture seem to make the heart act a little over the top - this is because your heart system is cautious and can't see the world. That change in position might be the beginning of you needing to Sprint, so it might as well ramp itself up sooner than later as it makes no odds to the heart, it won't get damaged or worn out and could be the difference of you escaping or not.

The heart is a remarkably simple system, hence why they can cut it out and replace it with another person's in a transplant. It's pretty much one of the simplist things in your body as it needs to work at 100% for a lifetime with no hiccups.

With the normal run of tests, it's next to impossible for anything sinister to hide.

Thread Information