Thread: Hard as bone fixed lump in neck :(

Unhappy Hard as bone fixed lump in neck :(

Hey guys,

I'm really suffering ATM for the past 4 months I've had a hard as bone lump in my neck that won't move its a little but below mid way up my neck I get neck tension a lot I just need to know what it is :( doctor didn't seem to concerned so I pushed for an ultrasound then at the scan consultant said there is a lump but it's not attached to anything and that he will order an MRI for my reassurance and to double check however at the time I had a sore throat and had more enlarged nodes higher up my neck and they are now gone.

Should I stop worrying about this ? The lump is pointy and hard like a bone which from what I've heard isn't related to the 'c' word but it's taking over my life could it be a bone ? Or some kind of cartilage? Also if I had some sort of disease surely when my other nodes inflamed they wouldn't go down either right ?

PLEASE HELP!!!

Re: Hard as bone fixed lump in neck :(

Hi Mart,

If ultrasound was okay and the doctors are feeling okay I would be reassured. I have a swelling at the front of my neck. About eight years ago I had it checked out. Saw a consultant who said it was a thyroid lump - so of course I freaked. But he did an ultrasound and said it was okay just a lump - and its still here lol.

My husband got something similar to you a couple years ago. A very hard lump on his neck. Rang emergency docs on New Years Eve because was so worried. They said not to worry, most likely a mild infection and its caused one of his lymph nodes to enlarge. They didn't even want to look at him unless he got more, or other symptoms such as a bad fever. They said to come in after the holidays and they'd check it. He did, doc pressed it and said 'yeah its nothing, should go away'. It did. It lasted quite a while from what I can remember, but it eventually went away of its own accord.

I've had a hard lump in my neck since christmas, I went to the doctor the other month because I was beginning to convince myself I had lymphoma.

When I saw her I burst in to tears and blubbererd to her that I thought I was dying.

As soon as she felt it she said "ahh, sebaceous cyst. It's not attached to anything it's just a benign little hard lump. The nhs don't cover removal of them"

At this point I felt like a bit of a **** that I had spent the past few weeks convincing myself I was dying.

The doctors seem to be doing all the nessiscary tests to put your mind at ease, if it was sinister I am fairly confident the lump would have different characteristics...the ultrasound would have shown that.

You need to trust what your doctors are saying. The doctors have seen it all and know what to look for, if they weren't concerned, you shouldn't be either

Xx

Any other symptom u have?

I have the exact same thing - I have a post a little below this one that someone kindly linked yet another post. Read them, I am sure they will reassure you.

Thread Information