Thread: DOES ANXIETY CAUSE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE?

DOES ANXIETY CAUSE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE?

I had a doctor's appointment this morning for something routine (go every 3 months), and he always take my blood pressure. For the past 9 months my blood pressure has been quite high, in fact last time it was 185/125. Today it was 145/98. I've also had my blood pressure taken at work after counselling sessions, when I am supposed to be calm, and only a couple of hours after having had it taken at my doc's, and it was still high.

My doc has now recommended that I have an ECG, get my cholesterol checked and have some bloods done, but he's leaving it until my next appointment in March. I'm not really worried about it otherwise I would have told him to arrange it now (I'm a bit gobby like that lol!!)

I just wondered does anyone else suffer from high blood pressure whilst they have anxiety? As far as I am aware, I've never had high blood pressure before.

Les, xx

Hi Les,

Yes I often have high bp when my bp is taken at the docs, often about 145/100, once it was 175/113 and the look on my docs face was a picture of shock! I was then given a machine from the surgery to test myself at home and my bp at home was always lovely and low or normal which showed I was just getting a high reading at the docs (called white coat syndrome). I now have my own bp machine at home and check it myself from time to time (not obsessively like I did at first) and it's always been normal here or only a bit high if I've tested in the middle of a PA.
    I think the machine they use can affect it too (does for me anyway), I often have a higher reading on the newer electronic machines. I was referred to a cardiologist last year and he used the old traditional pump up cuff machine and that gave me a normal reading, even though nervous at the hospital. They are supposed to be the most accurate ones I was told.

It's good you are being checked out, they have to do that after many high readings but it could all be anxiety.

Take care,

Lisa x

SOME MEDICATIONS CAN CAUSE HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, EG EFFEXOR. IF HE WAS WORRIED YOU'D BE HAVING A BLOOD TEST BEFORE MARCH!

LOVE JO X

Hi Les,

I agree with Jo if he was worried he'd be sending you asap hun. I think high blood pressure is common with anxiety.

Take Care

Mandyxx

High blood pressure, hypertension, is common in anxiety and anxiety going to the doctors, or to see the nurse, is very common and called white coat hypertension. When someone has had a few high BP readings it is usual for us to do a routine ECG and blood tests, this is to make sure there is no underlying cause for it and also to check the ECG to make sure there has been no damage. There are other factors though, if you attend every three months for a 'check' then the medication that you are on might be the cause, age is also another, as we get older our BP can rise. There are a number of risk factors that we take into account where BP is concerned. If it is anxiety related, a home BP monitor can be provided to check if you have normal readings at home, the automatic arm cuff monitors are the best as mercury is not supposed to be used anymore and can only be used by a trained professional, your age, your family history, if you drink alcohol, smoke, what drugs you are on, if you have any symptoms and how much exercise you do. Your diet also plays a big part as convienience foods are normal full of fat and salt without us knowing and these are obviously bad. Your blood tests will test your liver functions, your potassium, sodium, creatinine and urea, your thyroid functions, cholesterol - you will have to fast for 12 hours for this blood test - and your glucose to check for any diabetes. All of these tests, if you have them, are standard and i perform them everyday i am at work, they are nothing to worry about. You could buy a BP monitor yourself, they are quite cheap nowadays, although the best to buy is the fully automatic arm cuff one as this is the most accurate, and when taking your BP you should place the cuff around the top of your arm with the wires to the machine 1 inch above the crook in your arm and the wires resting that side too, also the cuff must be level with your heart for the most accurate reading. Sit still and relax. I see a lot of clients with white coat hypertension and there BP readings are fine when they are at home. My own BP goes up when i see my own GP but when i take it anywhere else, even at work, it is fine. lol. We have to keep a check on high BP readings as most people have no symptoms, but it can be easily controlled. Angie.x

It takes a minute to get anxiety, but a lifetime to get rid of it!!!

Thread Information