Thread: Flying Phobia

Flying Phobia

My anxiety is really bad at the moment and I think it's due to the fact I'm flying to Spain soon. The last time i got on a plane (2 years ago) I had a panic attack before boarding. Felt sick, dizzy, lightheaded, pins and needles in arms and legs. I couldn't talk to my kids, hubby had to sort them out. A lovely elderly couple started talking to us and distracted me and the symptoms subsided and flight was good.

Now I'm due to fly in 3 weeks and I'm dreading this happening again. I'm already having sleepless nights, hyperventilating and other anxiety symptoms. Just don't know what to do.

I so want to go away and have a lovely holiday.

Re: Flying Phobia

Have you spoken to your GP about this? There are many relaxation techniques as well as medications you could potentially try out for the flight, that might help? You could also speak to the cabin crew before you take off to explain how you feel - having nervous and frightened passengers is part and parcel of their jobs and they will most certainly be able to help reassure you, if you need it

Try to focus on how good the holiday will be once you arrive and that the flight really isn't much to go through in order to have a wonderful time away with your family. I hope you have an amazing time!

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

Thanks AnxietyDJ, that's great advice. I know that the latest Air atrocity hasnt helped either!! I've just been out for a bike ride with my kids and that has really helped to calm my anxiety symptoms too. Thanks again. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Mummygems View Post
    Thanks AnxietyDJ, that's great advice. I know that the latest Air atrocity hasnt helped either!! I've just been out for a bike ride with my kids and that has really helped to calm my anxiety symptoms too. Thanks again. :-)
    Haha yes, I know what you mean - I think you're safe from Russian missiles when flying over to Spain though

I used to love cycling to help me relax, it is very calming (well, depending on how fast you go haha) and a nice way to watch the world go by...

Stay positive - you can do it! Don't forget that we're always here if you need us

If the person you are talking to does not appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear. Winnie-the-pooh

Up ahead they's a thousan' lives we might live, but when it comes it'll on'y be one. Ma Joad

Yeah, don't think missiles will even stretch that far. For the record flights would frequently take me into Kabul and Kandahar on civilian aircraft (don't have the gubbins that mil aircraft have) and nothing bad ever happened.

The flight home from Dubai used to fly over Baghdad and nothing bad ever happened.

Recently ICAO (the guys that advise local aviation authorities) have recently posted new guidelines about flying over conflict/war zones

Hope this helps

MummyGems, I relate to your issues. I didn't fly til just a few years ago (I'm in my early 50's now so8left it quite late as I was too scared). But in the last few years I have conquered my fear. Ok I admit that sometimes I still have little "moments" when up in the air, but loads of people do. It's totally natural. Thing is, you too CAN et last this, I really believe that.

Here are some links to other threads on here. Lots of good advice & comments.....

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...ht=Flying+fear

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthr...61#post1349261

This last one in particular is a real success story.....

Anyway, the important thing is not to dwell in this. Don't go over and over and over "what might happen". It isn't gong to help, I guarantee you of that. Instead, how about visualising yourself being more relaxed on the plane? It is possible. The tendency is to focus completely on bad outcomes, but there is no reason to suppose it'll be a bad experience for you.
    Quite the opposite could happen in fact. If you read that last thread, you'll see how someone who was in bits managed to turn things around. This could be you :-)
    Happy flying :-)

Thread Information