Thread: Mentalisation

Mentalisation

Hi i've been assessed as having elements of Borderline Personality Disorder and have been put in a mentalisation group - the trouble is I am pretty sure I already do mentalise (assessing thoughts and feelings both of yourself and others, being aware of uncertainty, not making assumptions etc) and it hasn't really helped me in the past with my anxiety...I just end up thinking of all the different possibilities and accept I don't know and still feel terrified.

Not sure what to do as my medication seems to have stopped working and the though of attending 10 more hour and a half sessions where we sit and discuss thinking about thinking makes me very disheartened as I already do this too much.
    Has anyone else done mentalisation and found it helpful?

Re: Mentalisation

I haven't done mentalisation but I have done yoga... that sort of thinking takes years of practice.

How about you try one session and see where it gets you? Maybe with a new group leader it might even be enjoyable. You never know. Some people have a new take on things that can help.

Re: Mentalisation

Thank you lior, just an update, been going for several weeks to group now, am still trying and attending but finding the whole group therapy thing hard as feel I don't get enough opportunity to talk... But will keep trying xx

Thread Information